PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Help

Big Tee
06-19-2012, 08:02 AM
All right SC guys I need some help. I can not afford the 800- 1400 dollar guns . And I have hunted all my life with a pump until last season the second split I picked up a used auto and loved it , Well my luck is the gun was very used and not in real good shape so I fixed it up and sold it. I have a budget of 650 or less. Let me hear your thoughts. I have looked at a couple but not made up my mine. Looked at Mossberg 935, Stoger M3500, Legacy Waterfowl Extreme. Also is it worth looking at the 3 1/2" ??? Be Honest !!!

Top Dawg
06-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Here's just an idea. Its what I did. Go to G&H in gueydan put $650 down on a new benelli and finace the rest for 12 months. Monthly bill comes out to roughly $40 a month. Like I said it's just a suggestion I'm not familiar with the lower end autos I also shot a pump my whole life til I bought my vincci last year second split. I absolutely love it. And to be honest 3-1/2" is not worth it unless you plan on turkey hunting with it.

BigChaf
06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Remington is a good choice in that price range, I will say that I have a shotgun that shoots from 3 1/2" to low brass target loads, with 1 gun I can hunt geese in the morning and shoot skeet in the afternoon, hope this helps your decision.

cmcnabb
06-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Spend the money on a good gun. Can't go wrong with beretta or benelli. Both very reliable. It just boils down to if you want gas operated or inertia driven. IMO, browning makes terrible duck guns. When exposed to the elements, they hang up a lot. Just what I've seen from hunting with several different people with browning autos.

On another note, check out the beretta 390 or 3901 if your interested in 3 inch. Or the franchi i12

jchief
06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Browning BPS

cmcnabb
06-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Browning BPS

I should have said in my post the bps is a good gun. It is one of the best pumps if you ask me. I just have seen too many of their autos fail once exposed to the elements

Kenner18
06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I shoot Brownings without any issues,I have the gold,silver,and maxus . I work as a guide and shoot 3 1/2's regularly in the elements over 45 days a year.

I would pic a name brand shotgun I could afford (Browning,Beretta,Benelli,Remington)and try the fit of them before you buy. If it dont fit you it wont work for you .
Even if you find a used one in good shape ,no one said that you had to have a brand new gun to enjoy hunting.
3 1/2s arent really needed for ducks but I shoot em anyway ,its all personal preference.

specktator
06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Lafayette Shooters runs 12 months interest free in August. I usually pick up a new gun every August. I would rather shoot a pump then any of the low end autos you mentioned. My uncle bought the Stoeger auto. POS! Cheapest auto I would buy is a Remington, then Browning, then Beretta, then Benelli in that order. But you won't see me shooting anything but a BENELLI! Beast mode! I'll be picking up the Super Vinci in August. I already have SBE I and II and M1.

Top Dawg
06-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Vincci is bad!! Love it. I'm sure u will too.

CajunSpecial
06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Spend the money on a good gun. Can't go wrong with beretta or benelli. Both very reliable. It just boils down to if you want gas operated or inertia driven. IMO, browning makes terrible duck guns. When exposed to the elements, they hang up a lot. Just what I've seen from hunting with several different people with browning autos.

On another note, check out the beretta 390 or 3901 if your interested in 3 inch. Or the franchi i12

I shoot the I12, $800 when I first bought it, but I have heard its gone down some. Light weight, smooth acition. 3inch. excellent gun, been underwater on more than one hunt, salt and fresh, this will be my fourth season shooting it and Ive never had a problem

Big Tee
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks Guys I have been Thinking about the G&H and Shooters deal may have to try that !!!!! Might keep Moma happy !!!!

all star rod
06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Vincci is bad!! Love it. I'm sure u will too.

I am very impressed with mine....i got one for me and one for my son last year.
Gun does not kick much...shot a sbe2 since 2003 which is a great gun to.

meaux fishing
06-19-2012, 02:59 PM
STAY AWAY FROM THE MOSSBERG AUTOS!!!!!!! One of my buddies had one. I have never seen a gun jam more than that one. It also literally fell apart on him from shooting some 3.5s. I shot pumps all my life till I got the SBEII now three out of 4 guys in my blind have one. The other guy shoots a browning silver and never has any problems with it

MuddRunner
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I've shot a SBE II for a couple seasons now plus use it to shoot Sporting Clays pretty often. It's my one gun for everything. I don't shoot 3 1/2" shells when I duck hunt but like the fact that if I need to in the future I can. I too couldn't afford it, but talked to alot of guys that shoot Benelli, Berretta, Browning, and i realized talking to guys about those guns is like talking about Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Your going to hear it all. I think it all boils down to how you take care of it. All I'm going to say is I would NOT trade my Benelli for anything else! The Gun is a beast!

specktator
06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I shoot the I12, $800 when I first bought it, but I have heard its gone down some. Light weight, smooth acition. 3inch. excellent gun, been underwater on more than one hunt, salt and fresh, this will be my fourth season shooting it and Ive never had a problem

I have heard good things about this gun. It is made by Benelli/Beretta.

wtretrievers
06-19-2012, 06:19 PM
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/64188

davidkyle323
06-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Can't go wrong with beretta or beneli! The beretta 3901 is a very good budget gun at around 645 dollars. One of my good friends has this gun and it has proven to be a reliable sweet shooting gun!

jlincecum
06-19-2012, 09:21 PM
The Franchi I12 is a good choice in the cheaper autos. 3 1/2" is not necessary at all unless you're a big turkey hunter. I hunt geese about 80% of the time and mever buy 3.5's

Top Dawg
06-19-2012, 09:44 PM
The Franchi I12 is a good choice in the cheaper autos. 3 1/2" is not necessary at all unless you're a big turkey hunter. I hunt geese about 80% of the time and mever buy 3.5's

X2. I always shoot either 3" or 2-3/4" for decoying geese. I have a benelli super nova that I won that's my designated turkey gun. So when I bought a duck/goose gun I went with the 3".

noodle creek
06-19-2012, 11:19 PM
I won't give my opinion because everyone on here will argue. However, I hunt 59 days a year with at least 2 sports each day, so I see every gun made, including tons and tons of Benelli's. Most are new ones from wealthy people who haven't hunted a whole lot and take great care of their guns. For $650 though, it's going to be hard to get a good auto. Look for a new winchester super X2. There should still be a few new ones around. If not, spend the money for a good gun and take care of it. Over the past 4 years, hunting over 60 days a year, I can honestly say that a Benelli is the last gun I would buy. It might be a coincidence that 50% of the new Benellis in my blind jam all the time, but that is what seems to happen. Yes I know to make sure the bolt is closed all of the way, I'm talking about the 2nd shot. Also, like Top Dawg stated, 3.5 inch is not necessary.

Big Tee
07-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Ok Guys a little update on the new shotgun , Thanks for all the comments !!!!! . I was looking around and talked to a friend at Acadiana Outfitters here in New Iberia. He offered me a Winchester SX3 in 12ga with 3.5" for an amazing price!!!! And they have 12 months interest free financing year round. I got the black model and put down what I wanted to spend and financed the rest. Can beat it !!!!!

noodle creek
07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Cool deal that is the same gun I shoot. I hunt every day of the season and it stays in the bottom of my piroque in water or right next to my dog shaking on in all morning. I never clean it and in 3 years it's failed to shoot the second shot on me twice, but as dirty as it was I believe any other gun would have done the same. Take a little care of it and it will last forever.

Feesherman
07-09-2012, 06:52 PM
There is a very affordable and very reliable auto made by the russians. It's a bakail. I think remington started buying them and marketing them as a spartan.

hargroderauto
07-11-2012, 01:53 PM
I have had 2 Baikel SPR 153's for 3 years and have not had any problems with them. I have dropped one in the marsh mud during a rabbit hunt and rinsed it in muddy water and kept on shooting with it. They are a little heavy, but are built like a Russian tank. For under $400 they are the best auto for the money, not as refined as a Browning or Baretta but they get the job done.