PDA

View Full Version : how to fish rattle-trap

jonathonv
07-28-2012, 08:04 AM
How do you work a rattle-trap? Steady retrieve? bounce it, twitch it?
is this mostly for reds are will trout hit it too?

bearwash87
07-28-2012, 08:25 AM
You have to work it how the fish want it. Try different retrieves to find out how they want it. Yes trout will hit a trap.

Micah
07-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Just chunk and reel. If you want to change it up, you can give it some twitches while reeling it in but if they are biting they will hammer it on a steady retrieve. More of a trout bait if you ask me, I have caught so many trout on one that the chrome was gone in a couple of hours.

Armand16
07-28-2012, 03:07 PM
How do you work a rattle-trap? Steady retrieve? bounce it, twitch it?
is this mostly for reds are will trout hit it too?

All of the above. Keep changing until u get hit then try to duplicate that retrieve. When ur reeling it in, pause when the bait gets a few feet from the boat and give them one last chance to hit it.

eman
07-28-2012, 08:29 PM
1/4 oz chrome / green back trap is one of my go to lures in the winter. just slow retrieve on bottom w/ a light twitch every now and then.

Salty
07-28-2012, 09:02 PM
All of the above. Keep changing until u get hit then try to duplicate that retrieve. When ur reeling it in, pause when the bait gets a few feet from the boat and give them one last chance to hit it.

Or, just get some Vandalizers, heh Nick? :cool: :smokin:

wtretrievers
07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Pull up next to Causeway, leave boat idling, cast as far as you can, engage reel & put boat back in gear. Use throttle to differ retrieve speeds:smokin:

Armand16
07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Or, just get some Vandalizers, heh Nick? :cool: :smokin:

Yes... If u want to take the easy way out hook up with Salty and get some custom paint on a Vandalizer... It's almost too easy...

LPfishnTIM
07-29-2012, 12:08 AM
I use em alot to cover a lot of water, cast and retrieve at different speeds, and some times Ill hop it off the bottom.

jlsch1
07-29-2012, 06:34 PM
It varies depending on what fish want.
I burned them
At times throw out, move rod in sweeping motion, and reel in slack do it again
Sometimes I twitch on bottom
Trolled 3/4 oz ones around causeway to catch solid trout.
A lipless crankbait is so versatile you got to let the bass tell you how to work it.

Jedi Lure Tricks
07-29-2012, 06:52 PM
i like to fish em fast at first, looking for the most aggressive fish in the area. if no takers, then i'll slow it down and try a yo-yo type retrieve and then a steady retrieve thru the middle of the water column. if still no takers then i slow roll it, letting the bait occasionally touch bottom and ripping the bait up off the bottom, trying to get a reaction strike.

try chromes in clear water and flat/bright colors in stained water.

jonathonv
07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
thanks guys i threw it some today (chrome/chart) caught one small croaker on it. that thing will cast a mile though i can see how you can cover lots of water quickly.

"W"
07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Pull up next to Causeway, leave boat idling, cast as far as you can, engage reel & put boat back in gear. Use throttle to differ retrieve speeds:smokin:

Trolling Traps................on the Causeway!!!! Mean Mugging like Dumass

LPfishnTIM
07-29-2012, 10:43 PM
best way how to learn how to use a bait is to bring it fishing and don't use anything else til you have caught a few fish!

coastalobsession
07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
I like to fish with them here in the Texas Surf. Start off with a good long cast and reel. Experiment with different speeds. I also to make hard long jerks with the rod to make it rattle like crazy.

DUCKGOGETTER
07-30-2012, 07:02 PM

X2