PDA

View Full Version : new spinning reel suggestions

Keywest18
07-28-2012, 09:31 AM
im looking to pick up a new spinning reel. the three i have in mind are the "okuma trio", the "lews speed spin", and the "shimano sedona". i know alot of giys on here are die hard shimano fans and the lews reels are pretty popular but i really like the handle on the okuma. it will be for light saltwater use (reds, specks, flounders, white trout etc...) and. he occasional freshwater trip

jlsch1
07-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Stick okuma or shimano if that your choices.
These companies have paid dues testing equipment for inshore fishing.
Lews hadn't last time I talked to Rick works service for them he wasn't optimistic about spinning reels.

latravcha
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
X2 for the okuma. I bought 2 a month ago and love them. And the both were under 100

simplepeddler
07-28-2012, 04:54 PM
buy the Okuma now......they will be at the price of Shimano before you know it.......
they have stepped up to the plate for sure

Wide Open
07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
I Bleed Shimmano, but do second the Okuma, with one in the arsenal. U cant go wrong with either and Okumas warrany is barnone the best. No questions asked over the counter replaced if defective on there part. My Shimmanos feel beter to me, but the okumas catch just as many fish. Thats a Fact!!!

SaltyShaw
07-28-2012, 06:18 PM
My cousin had an Okuma he does alot of wading in Corpus and it did not hold up as well as his 2500 sedona

I have 2500 Sedona on a 6'8" Worm and Jig medium fast Shimano Clarus for my customers and they are an excellent little setup I throw them every now and then

Keywest18
07-28-2012, 06:23 PM
My cousin had an Okuma he does alot of wading in Corpus and it did not hold up as well as his 2500 sedona

I have 2500 Sedona on a 6'8" Worm and Jig medium fast Shimano Clarus for my customers and they are an excellent little setup I throw them every now and then

was it a trio?

SaltyShaw
07-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Let me look I believe so

SaltyShaw
07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Let me look I believe so

Take that back it was an inspira model

LifeTyme007
07-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Check out the Penn battle 4000 or 3000! I have two of the 4000 and I really like them and you can purchase them at Acadiana Outfitters for $74. Bass pro has them listed at $99. Good luck!

Wide Open
07-28-2012, 06:37 PM

That may very well be true Shaw, but honestly Ive never had any thing hold up in our louisiana surf. That stuffs just down rite hard on reels in general. I would say I take much better care of my equipment than the avg. Joe, just looking how others I know tend to their Equip., but ive had them all fail from the high end Stellas to the lower line Solstaces's.
If you can keep them out of the Koolaid You can get some use out of it, but dunk that puppy one time, and its time for a bearing upgrade and one hell of a cleaning. If it was my money, I would go buy another new stradic, or stradic CI4 W/O blinking an Eye. But my moneys been spent already, soo I would say go check both out and what ever fits the budget, and or feels better. Either way your getting great products with good warranties Ive never had Shimmano deny a claim on a reel,wich has been many and have never had to bring back an okuma spinning or baitcasting! But I have seen my tackle store make their share of even over the counter swapps on okuma reels that had failures.
Thats just my $$$2cents. Take it for what its worth.:smokin:

mikedatiger
07-28-2012, 07:11 PM
I had an Okuma Trio that completely fell apart and several of their baitcasters that were complete junk so no way would I recommend one of them. The Stradic is a great reel but have also heard great things about the Penn Battles.

PUREBAY2200
07-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Shimano is the way to go. I've got a symetre that is 8 years old. Never an issue. Changed the drag washers 1x.

eman
07-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Okuma inspira is not a bad reel at all but you have to rinse / soak em in fresh water every night if you surf fish w/ them. I have let mine sink when trying to get an active speck off the hook a few times. Just soak it in a bucket over night and then light oil .

jlsch1
07-29-2012, 10:34 AM
If you surf fish you may want to limit what you pay for a reel.
Reason sand gets in the reel and unless you feel like breaking it down to cleaning it typically better to chunk it. Alot of cheap choices that Shimano, Dawia, Okuma, offer under $30.

Surf fishing I got Daiwa Black and Gold's that 15 years old. Lanky, heavy, not as smooth as $195 Daiwa Del Sol, but simple to break down and clean. Tuff as nails.

Boat fishing I use Penn Battle 3000 and 4000 due got good deal on them $49,95 each. Cheaper than lets say Daiwa Del sol due use pot metal for gears not paying $195 for reel either. Gets the job done and my wallet won't hurt if I throw them away.

$100 and under there are alot of nice reels that Shimano, Daiwa, Penn/Pflueger/Abu-Garcia (Purefishing group), and Okuma offer that are great boat fishing reels.

meaux fishing
07-29-2012, 11:17 AM
X2 on the symetres. My uncle dropped on of mine overboard at grand isle a few weeks ago. I just rinsed it off and sprayed some oil in it and it still works just fine. I've had em for probably 4 years never had a problem.

Keywest18
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
well right now i have two mitchell avocet II ($20) and ive had them for three years and like them. strictly saltwater use as well and theyve held up well but the drag isnt as smooth as i would like. i want to go to a lighter lb test line and need a smoother drag. i barely ever surf fish. atleast over here anyways i do occasonally when i go to MS

Montauk17
07-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Shimano

bgizzle
07-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I have an Okuma inspira and it's 4yrs old and it still works like a champ. I retired it to my ole lady and bought a stradic c14 just for the simple fact is I needed something for back up and hAve to many baitcasts. Put It on a 7' medium

Jedi Lure Tricks
07-29-2012, 06:44 PM
the sedona for $60 and the sahara for $80 are both good reels that won't break the bank and perform well in saltwater.

i'd go with the sahara for the higher 6.2:1 gear ratio.

coastalobsession
07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Go with a Penn. I personally have 2 and all the guides in my parts are going to these for their customers, primary the Penn Fierce. The Ferice is at a good price (around 60), it has Ht-100 drag washers, all metal build, super strong, super durable, and clients cant break them.

Shimano has gone down quality wise in the last 5 years.