PDA

View Full Version : I claim this spot!!!

cmdrost
10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Sweet got my own forum....can I be the go to guy? :*****:

Year to Date returns ending 10/6/2009

Index Return
S&P 500 19.01%
Dow Jones 13.72%
NASDAQ 34.40%

US Treasuries
1 yr - 0.36%
10 yr - 3.21%

Fed Funds Rate - 0.25%

Prime Rate - 3.25%

SULPHITE
10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
CM...dusting off my coffee can w/ my stash!! Lead me the way bro...I want to retire at 35!!!

LaAngler
10-07-2009, 02:23 PM
i'm listening

cmdrost
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
invest it instead of buying guns ;)

J/k man....i would do the same!

But seriously, nows the time for younger generations to buy stocks. This is a young persons market right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091005/ap_on_bi_ge/us_meltdown_generation_gap

"W"
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Drost... Come on and bring out some of those 5% ERA's,,,, I know yall are hiding them

"W"
10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
This is what im racking back with right now

Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2009 to 10/06/2009 is 37.8%

cmdrost
10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
dang good year for you!

Ray
10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I am right at 24%.

yak'em-n-stack'em
10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
im too skeptical about loosing money

wanna show me some good stocks? pm me?

"W"
10-07-2009, 03:57 PM
dang good year for you!

this is a good year but Im just getting over my (-29%) loss from last year

My lifetime on this account which is 10years old... is 27.9% gain

I had two bad years...2001 and 2008...rest have been great

Gerald
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM

Chinese stocks have been strong for most of the past year.....4 out of the top 10 stocks currently [on my research spreadsheet] are Chinese.

Two of the best have been Baidu, Inc [BIDU] and Perfect World Co. Ltd. [PWRD].

If you have a question about a particluar stock.....I can give you some inforation.

Dink
10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm in Mutual Funds................goin the long term route.........not sure what Obama's gonna do next, playin it safe.............Gaining 1250 every month, so I'll stick to it for now........

Gerald
10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm in Mutual Funds................goin the long term route.........not sure what Obama's gonna do next, playin it safe.............Gaining 1250 every month, so I'll stick to it for now........

While Mutual Funds are usually a good "safe" investment, there are some obsticals in what Companies they can invest their [your] money.

Most funds spread there money out into many many stocks. How many of the stocks they buy are rated very strong buys or strong buys? They have to spread out their [your] money into some "average" stock that do not perform well. This lowers the profit on their investments.

Most funds can not buy Medium or Small Cap stocks because they have so much money to invest, they would be buying major percentage of that company if the Mutual Fund were to invest say 3 or 4 % of their [your] money.

Granted....to be a successfull investor, it requires some time to study companies before investing your money. Buying Mutual Funds is easier..... with a much lower risk---reward.

Dink
10-08-2009, 07:12 AM
I went with The Mutual Fund Store out of Baton Rouge(i'm not tackleing this myself)...............SO far so good............It buggs me that I could be doing better somewhere else, I just don't like what the Prez is doing, so I'm playin safe

"W"
10-08-2009, 07:29 AM

:rolleyes:

cmdrost
10-08-2009, 08:19 AM

You're way too young to be worried about principle loss. Look at what "W" just said:

"this is a good year but Im just getting over my (-29%) loss from last year

I had two bad years...2001 and 2008...rest have been great"

You are gonna have some bad years, but over the long run the market will outperform CD's, savings accts, etc.

The younger you are, the more aggressive you can afford to be.

Ray
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I lost 28% and gained 23%.
But I lost 28% on the bigger amount and gained 23% on the smaller amount.
Won't be long and I should be back to the level I was last year.

mikedatiger
10-08-2009, 09:13 AM
You're way too young to be worried about principle loss. Look at what "W" just said:

"this is a good year but Im just getting over my (-29%) loss from last year

I had two bad years...2001 and 2008...rest have been great"

You are gonna have some bad years, but over the long run the market will outperform CD's, savings accts, etc.

The younger you are, the more aggressive you can afford to be.

Financial theory holds that you can't beat the market - i.e. index funds are the way to go. Just look at the bet that Buffet has put in place with the hedge fund manager claiming he could beat the market over a 10 year span. I have one of those worthless MBA's and my best friend is an equity analyst. We go round and round all the time about the market.

My retirement account is strictly index funds, with some bond funds and preservation funds mixed in. On a individual basis, I am not a fan of buy and hold when it comes to stocks - this market has too much uncertainty.

Would advise picking a target for both gains and losses - use stop limits to cover your rear. I worked for an energy trading company and that strategy worked well...

cmdrost
10-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Financial theory holds that you can't beat the market - i.e. index funds are the way to go. Just look at the bet that Buffet has put in place with the hedge fund manager claiming he could beat the market over a 10 year span. I have one of those worthless MBA's and my best friend is an equity analyst. We go round and round all the time about the market.

My retirement account is strictly index funds, with some bond funds and preservation funds mixed in. On a individual basis, I am not a fan of buy and hold when it comes to stocks - this market has too much uncertainty.

Would advise picking a target for both gains and losses - use stop limits to cover your rear. I worked for an energy trading company and that strategy worked well...

I agree with you mostly....IF buying stocks, it is good to stick to a buy and hold strategy, BUT that being said....mutual funds or index funds are a better way to go over the long run IMHO.

cmdrost
10-08-2009, 09:43 AM
CM...dusting off my coffee can w/ my stash!! Lead me the way bro...I want to retire at 35!!!

I can be done! At your current age though, You have to be extremely disciplined saver though. Which is very tough to do.

Lets just assume you are able to save $1MM by age 35, that'd provide you with roughly $50k per yr in income without touching your principle. So you can take it from there. If you need more income, save more, if thats enough you now know your target.

Retiring at 55 instead of 65 or 35 is much more realistic, because you're money has so much longer to grow. That'd give you roughly 30 yrs invested instead of 10 yrs.

The key is to start now, gotta build a bigger base 1st to grow faster.

LaAngler
10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
what percentage of an average working man's salary should be set aside without cutting into quality of life?

cmdrost
10-08-2009, 09:57 AM
that my friend is the great american debate. Average seems to be around at least 10% per year. Some do more, some do much much less.

I drive an older truck thats paid off. I put a "truck note" into my IRA every month. Plus contribute 15% into my 401k.

My buddy doesn't put but $50 a month in his IRA, has no 401k, but drives a new Ford King Ranch. I keep telling him our roles will be dramatically reversed come retirement time, yet he doesn't seem to care. Most people our age don't think long term like that. Its a instant gratification world now days.

Its really all up to you!

"W"
10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Bruce does your company match you? Our matches us 1 for 1 up too 6% so what Ever I put thay match.... I staterd out with 10% before I was married now I put in 8 %

cmdrost
10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
If you have a company match, at LEAST contribute what they match. My company is only the first 4%, and yet I find it comical that some still don't take advantage of the "free" money.

Ray
10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
My company matches up to 10% on the 401K after year 10.
Year 1 to 5 is only 2.5%. Year 5 to 10 is 5%.
We can also put up to 15%, before taxes, in another account, not matched by the co.
We can also set aside up to $9500 per year, in monthly deductions from our check and buy company stock at a 15% discount on the first trading day of the following year. When mine us purchased, I sell right away and get my 15%, then invest in a Mutual Fund and hope for the best.

"W"
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
If you have a company match, at LEAST contribute what they match. My company is only the first 4%, and yet I find it comical that some still don't take advantage of the "free" money.

We have guys that work with us...Who lose 6% free money every pay check....We get paid twice a month so its like 12% of there month gross of free money they lose..... Dont understand this:confused::confused: you give 6% they give 6%...easy for me:D

LaAngler
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
mine does match and i'm taking advantage of that

SULPHITE
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
My comp matches a 100% for an IRA...no 401k.

Raymond
10-08-2009, 11:50 AM
that my friend is the great american debate. Average seems to be around at least 10% per year. Some do more, some do much much less.

I drive an older truck thats paid off. I put a "truck note" into my IRA every month. Plus contribute 15% into my 401k.

My buddy doesn't put but $50 a month in his IRA, has no 401k, but drives a new Ford King Ranch. I keep telling him our roles will be dramatically reversed come retirement time, yet he doesn't seem to care. Most people our age don't think long term like that. Its a instant gratification world now days.

Its really all up to you!

Starting the same investment plan in November, my truck is paid off this month!!!!!!;)

Gerald
10-08-2009, 02:29 PM
what percentage of an average working man's salary should be set aside without cutting into quality of life?

Bruce, I would say that a married guy with children should save at least 6 % of their goss income. Single guy should save 12 %.

Expences that really slow down the retirement savings [House, Vehicle, boat, etc.] should really be well though out. IMO.....most people spend way too much on these major purchase.

Something to think about: What did you spend money on in the past week [or month] that you could have just as easily put that money into savings? An not miss what you spent the money on?

"W"
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Bruce, I would say that a married guy with children should save at least 6 % of their goss income. Single guy should save 12 %.

Expences that really slow down the retirement savings [House, Vehicle, boat, etc.] should really be well though out. IMO.....most people spend way too much on these major purchase.

Something to think about: What did you spend money on in the past week [or month] that you could have just as easily put that money into savings? An not miss what you spent the money on?

Good info Mr Gerald.... I try to stuff what money I can away.... If you pay yourself 1st you cant lose.... I was taught that at a young age...... Before you pay anything pay yourself 1st.... I should be able to retire (If all go right) @ 55 and pick up SS (maybe) @62 and live good!!! But this all can change tomorrow!!!

Raymond
10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Good info Mr Gerald.... I try to stuff what money I can away.... If you pay yourself 1st you cant lose.... I was taught that at a young age...... Before you pay anything pay yourself 1st.... I should be able to retire (If all go right) @ 55 and pick up SS (maybe) @62 and live good!!! But this all can change tomorrow!!!

SS age will going to 70 very soon and possibly 75 before you get there!

Tete Dur
10-08-2009, 03:19 PM
SS age will going to 70 very soon and possibly 75 before you get there!

I'm tempted to agree with you on this but don't worry....Broke Bamma will just borrow a gazillion dollars from China AGAIN!!! Hell, what's all this talk about saving for? We should all just let the Prezz take care of us for the rest of our lives. I think he should by my next boat for me. The Fed. can just print more money and send me a check monthly.

They are screwing everything up!!!!!!

Anyone wanna move to the Caymen Islands with me?

Ray
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm tempted to agree with you on this but don't worry....Broke Bamma will just borrow a gazillion dollars from China AGAIN!!! Hell, what's all this talk about saving for? We should all just let the Prezz take care of us for the rest of our lives. I think he should by my next boat for me. The Fed. can just print more money and send me a check monthly.

They are screwing everything up!!!!!!

Anyone wanna move to the Caymen Islands with me?

:shaking::shaking::shaking: Costa Rica baby.

Tete Dur
10-08-2009, 03:34 PM
:shaking::shaking::shaking: Costa Rica baby.

I'm really up for anything with blue/green water, beautiful beaches, and good fishing. I'm just thinking that Costa Rica may be a little to close to all the drug lords for my taste. Don't want to get shot up trying to go fishing by some drug runner coming from Columbia or Panama.

SULPHITE
10-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Costa Rica baby.

When we leaving??

cmdrost
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
"Costa Rica"

yep...I've already said I'd move there in a heart beat

Ray
10-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I have fished on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. In the off season, my wife and I caught 3 Sails and 3 Mahi. Very quiet country, very laid back people, no beggers like Mexico and other resort countries. Lots of Americans already there. There is an American Medical School and facility there already. Low cost except if you settle in a resort. My wife loved it just as much as I did. They have the same tempertures almost year round. Just have 2 seasons, rainy season and dry season.
We saw ZERO violence and heard of none. They don't have a military, the US military and Coast Guard protects the country.
We are already thinking about retirement down there. We are thinking about buying a piece of property on the Pacific side, not on the water but close and want to build a house after retirement and move there.
It might sound far fetched, but the Americans we talked to over there said it is paradise. Retirement funds over there go a lot farther than over here.

Gerald
10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
It takes years of planning and saving and wise investments to retire early.

I have been retired [@ age of 53] since early in 2000. During the last couple of years that I worked.....I made a lot more money in the stock market and other investments than what I made working.

The down turn of the stock market started [March 2000] shortly after I retired and continued for several more down years. It was frighting to see my investments srink but I have survived the situation........Retiremnet has been great and would not have changed anything.

I can go hunting and fishing anytime I want to.....but now my body will not let me go every day without letting me know it needs some rest.

cabwiz2
10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I was taught like W. Pay yourself first. When I first started to save for retirement I started off small. Like 4 percent. I was single then and it was hard. But every time I got a raise I would raise the percentage I saved accordingly. I lived by the rule that the money is untouchable. Not only the money saved but the money taken out of each check also. It is like I really dont make that money. If I want to buy a big ticket item I never ever used that income to cover a note. It is not even considered in my reserve for hard times money. It was hard at first to get a big raise and then put a good portion of it to my retirement, but it is now second nature. It it easy to say that you will use 2 percent for a year or so and then go back to saving it. the reality is that you will never get that money back and you probably will never get back to the level you were saving before. Not saying this is the best method but it has worked for me.

Ray
10-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Mine is taken out of my check before I see it also. That is the best way to save.
if it is in my pocket, I would prolly blow it.

"W"
10-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Mine is taken out of my check before I see it also. That is the best way to save.
if it is in my pocket, I would prolly blow it.
:fireworks::fireworks: