PDA

View Full Version : Clear Creek scouting

Gerald
10-10-2009, 11:55 AM
This past Monday, I spent at CC doing some scouting to hopefully find a few good spots for hunting. The weather was less than ideal…..hot and very muggy.

First, I checked out a bowhunting spot that I found 10 years ago but had not hunted in several years, to see if the Cow oaks there were dropping any acorns. It took me about 30 minutes to get there from the truck. As I passed through what use to be a thick thick growth of 12 foot pine trees, I found it fairly easy walking now. At the spot, I found one of the 3 big oaks dropping acorns and it looked like the Deer had been feeding. I marked this spot on my new GPS…..my old one quit working and I lost lots of good hunting information. My truck was 0.82 miles away.

I then headed to the far side of creek bed to check out another spot for rifle hunting. If you like hunting a nice clearing that has a few oaks trees, this was the spot. There was very little under brush and possible 75+ yards shots and several oaks in the area. There was a good tree to climb that has just enough cover to help hide a hunter 20’ off the ground.

The trip back to the truck took much longer and I need several breaks. By the time I got back to the truck all my cloths were soaking wet from sweating.

I then drove around to the other side of this creek and found that a large area had been clear cut the year before and the distance to get to the creek was about the same.
I then wanted to do some driving and looking for other likely spots. I drove passed the campground……4 camping trailers and a few tents there…..only one truck there.

Along one road, there was a new side road that I did not remember. At the end of this road was a promising looking spot…..if someone did not drive up while you were hunting there. Where the road ended, it looked like they must have drilled a well and then abandoned this 2 or 3 acre spot. The trees were just about perfect height for a deer bedding place. Surrounding the plot on 3 sides were hills with large pine trees where a hunter could have a good view looking down on this spot.

I also found several other good looking places while driving around and will scout them out some other time.

LaAngler
10-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't mind making the opening day rifle hunt out there.

I am thinking of heading out to sherburne this afternoon for a few hours to look around, may be a little late to go with the game coming on this evening.

Gerald
10-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I will be going to Sherburne sometime in the next 2 weeks. I need to shoot my rifle and do a little scouting/looking to see how everything looks in the woods.

LaAngler
10-10-2009, 03:33 PM
buddy of mine went out last week said there was a lot of new growth in his hunting area, had to clear a trail all over again. could be good for the deer but bad for us.

Slidellkid
10-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Gerald, ,

I feel for you scouting on that warm, muggy day. That probably was not much fun.

I went up to Clear Creek yesterday to do some scouting. It was nice and cool and it felt good to get out. I went up to Two Bridge Road and then went on to Swaim road. Found a pipeline and followed it to a creek. Looked around all over the creek for some acorns dropping. Found a nice pod of white oaks that really hadn't started dropping yet, but I know they have acorns as there was one or two on the ground. Found a nice big Water Oak that was dropping but only saw a little bit of sign that they were feeding there. I think the spot I found would be great for the either sex rifle hunt as I can see for hundreds of yards in several directions. Clear Creek is a pretty place. I talked to one bow hunter at the check-in and he said he had seen deer three out of five hunts while sitting over Pin Oaks.

If you or Angler want to make a scouting trip up to CC just let me know.

Gerald
10-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I may go make a bow hunt later this week and also do some scouting.

I don't remember doing any scouting over in the Swaim road area but I drove in the area a couple of years ago.

I have been trying to hunt cut overs in the last few years after hearing and seeing some success doing that. Couple of years ago I saw movement out ~175 yards for just a second but thought it might have been a big Coon. I watched that spot through the scope for a while but did not see anthing again.

Well, 6 or 8 minutes later, I saw antlers moving off from that area. There was only one possible opening for a shot.......and I was still trying to find the deer in the scope when it passed that spot.

Those pine cut overs grow up so fast you can only see into them for a year of two before they get toooooo thinck to see anything that may be in there.

Is there still some interest in making a camping trip there for the either sex hunt on Oct. 31 st.??????

LaAngler
10-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I am interested in going and camp up there IF the weather is decent.

Gerald
10-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I am interested in going and camp up there IF the weather is decent.

Agree with that......unless someone got one of them fancy [or not so fancy] camping trailers.

If the weather is marginal.....we can still go make a hunt. I live just off Hwy 171 and takes me about an hour to get to the south end of the property.

Slidellkid
10-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm interested but I know I would have to be back here for Halloween or else I'd be in big trouble. I could probably go trick or treat with the kids and then head back up. I think I could also rent any camping supplies we might need from the Fort Polk Recreation Center. I think they even have travel trailer that can be rented.

Gerald
10-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Gerald, ,

I feel for you scouting on that warm, muggy day. That probably was not much fun.

I went up to Clear Creek yesterday to do some scouting. It was nice and cool and it felt good to get out. I went up to Two Bridge Road and then went on to Swaim road. Found a pipeline and followed it to a creek. Looked around all over the creek for some acorns dropping. Found a nice pod of white oaks that really hadn't started dropping yet, but I know they have acorns as there was one or two on the ground. Found a nice big Water Oak that was dropping but only saw a little bit of sign that they were feeding there. I think the spot I found would be great for the either sex rifle hunt as I can see for hundreds of yards in several directions. Clear Creek is a pretty place. I talked to one bow hunter at the check-in and he said he had seen deer three out of five hunts while sitting over Pin Oaks.

If you or Angler want to make a scouting trip up to CC just let me know.

Do you get any time off during the week?? Next Sat and Sun is the Youth hunt.....so that is not a good time to go. Maybe the weekend before the either sex hunt.

Gerald
10-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm interested but I know I would have to be back here for Halloween or else I'd be in big trouble. I could probably go trick or treat with the kids and then head back up. I think I could also rent any camping supplies we might need from the Fort Polk Recreation Center. I think they even have travel trailer that can be rented.

Calling on Jordan.......do you know if this is true??? Can you check for us? Do you get a discount??? Thanks.

I have all the camping stuff needed.....cooking etc. But travel trailer.....if not too expensive....would be nice.

Slidellkid
10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Gerald,

I am pretty sure I can rent a trailer from Fort Polk (I am in the reserves) but I will check it out and get back to you.

Dan

LaAngler
10-11-2009, 11:53 PM
if it opens up on a saturday i would take off the friday before and head up and scout that day, probably just bring some food already cooked instead of a BBQ pit and the whole bit. hopefully kill ANYTHING saturday morning and then go home....ha

i'm not scared to sleep in a tent either!!! or just a sleeping bag in my truck....

adamsfence
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
where is this game reserve at?

cajunkersh
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Clear Creek is the old Boise Vernon by Leesville.
I had some friends hunt there opening weekend of Bow season, they did see any, weather was very hot. We scouted there the beginning of Sept and it looked great. It was the 1st time I was there. I didn't get to make that weekend but hope to hunt there one day.

Slidellkid
10-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Clear creek is gently rolling hills, mostly pines, but creeks scattered here and there. I've not hunted it yet but it looks good. I've heard there is quite a deer herd on the place. It's located north of Deridder and I think it's about 50,000 acres.

Gerald, I will probably be taking my daughter to Clear Creek this weekend for the youth hunt or possibly over to West Bay.

I have every other Monday off with the Monday after next weekend being my next one. That might be a good day to go scout. Let me know if you are up to it.

Gerald
10-13-2009, 12:04 AM
where is this game reserve at?

Adam.....take Hwy 112 over to De Ridder and then keep going west on Hwy 190. Go about 11 miles and then make a sharp turn back to the north on hwy 111. Go about 2.5 miles and you will be at the south end of the property.

OR.......you could take Hwy 10 to Pickering and jog to the north a little and then take PR 4055 west to PR 3107 and turn left. About 2+ miles down this road, the hwy turns to the right [west]. Go about 3 miles and you come to Hwy 464. The campground is about 2.5 miles up [north] on hwy 464.

Clear Creek WMA is similar to West Bay WMA [ie. ~ the same Deer herd] but CC has more hills to the land.

Gerald
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Clear creek is gently rolling hills, mostly pines, but creeks scattered here and there. I've not hunted it yet but it looks good. I've heard there is quite a deer herd on the place. It's located north of Deridder and I think it's about 50,000 acres.

Gerald, I will probably be taking my daughter to Clear Creek this weekend for the youth hunt or possibly over to West Bay.

I have every other Monday off with the Monday after next weekend being my next one. That might be a good day to go scout. Let me know if you are up to it.

Will you be off this coming monday [10/19/09]? Looks like a good time to go scouting. There are a few places I would like to check out. Anyone else want to join us?

Good luck with your "youth hunt"......remember it is her experience that counts.....keep it fun.