PDA

View Full Version : boat launching procedure

speck-chaser
10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Boat Launching Procedures

So here it is.

I just bought a new boat and decided to take 'er for the maiden voyage this past weekend.

This is my first boat and I wasn't quite sure of the exact Standard Operating Procedures for launching it off a ramp, but I figured it couldn't be too hard.

I consulted my local boat dealer for advice, but they just said "don't let the trailer get too deep when you are trying to launch the boat".

What am I doing wrong?

Well, I don't know what they meant by that as I could barely get the trailer in the water at all!

Anyhow, here's a picture below. See for yourself. What am I doing wrong?

Montauk17
10-12-2009, 11:04 AM
LMAO

cabwiz2
10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Bet you he let his wife drive.

Ray
10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
BGIF = Boat Goes In First

bay_slayer
10-12-2009, 11:43 AM
That'll make you sick

Ray
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
The actual story was the driver was backing down and didn't apply the parking brake.
The boat and truck went into the water and the boat was the only thing floating.
They tied a rope to the boat and pulled it back to the launch with a tow truck.
He actually backed down the ramp and went all the way under water with the truck.
I read about it on a boating forum a few months ago. It was somewhere on the left
coast. Some of the readers recognized the cruise boat in the background.

wtretrievers
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I was at a friends camp down at Belle River several years back, our other friend which has the camp next door had to work late that evening. His wife was already there so she decides she is going to put His 2 month old 21' Ranger in the water without telling anyone.:rolleyes: She backs down the ramp "kinda fast" & did not take the straps off or put the plug in!:eek: She backed down fast enough that when the boat hit the water, water rushed over the back & filled the boat.:shaking: The weight of the boat & water started dragging the truck towards the water!:help: Luckly we were outside & heard her screaming!:cry:A minute later the bed of the truck was in the water. I was hooked to the rig with a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins 4wd with it in 4 low & it was all it wanted!!!!!! Needless to say he was not happy!!!!! He won't let her even wash it now!!!!:pissed:

Wish someone would have taken a picture! It was not nice around there the rest of the w/e!

fun w son
10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
he just wasn't going fast enough, next time put the gas petal on the floor!!!!

mikedatiger
10-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Check this bad boy out in regards to driving head first at the boat ramp.

Would love to get a hold of one of these bad boys for some real potlickin' fun on Big Lake. Would give a whole new meaning to taking over a reef...

YouTube - RV Today Archive- The Terra Wind

longsidelandry
10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
WOW!! Now that is something I need!

Cracker
10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I wonder what that bad boy cost? I want one bad:D

Cracker

BIRD DOG
10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
The actual story was the driver was backing down and didn't apply the parking brake.
The boat and truck went into the water and the boat was the only thing floating.
They tied a rope to the boat and pulled it back to the launch with a tow truck.
He actually backed down the ramp and went all the way under water with the truck.
I read about it on a boating forum a few months ago. It was somewhere on the left
coast. Some of the readers recognized the cruise boat in the background.
My buddy lost his 3500 dodge that way and I was there for the whole thing.The weight of the water in the cab was so heavy that they tore the bumper off (extremely heavy duty welded bumper and grill guard)tryin to pull his truck out so then the diver got it around the tire and ripped the lugs out!They finally strapped it through the cab and destroyed it gettin it up until they could hook it to the frame!My point is that I cant imagine them turning this rig around in the water by just the boat trailer and it still be intact!!!:shaking:

Dink
10-14-2009, 07:03 AM
My buddy lost his 3500 dodge that way and I was there for the whole thing.The weight of the water in the cab was so heavy that they tore the bumper off (extremely heavy duty welded bumper and grill guard)tryin to pull his truck out so then the diver got it around the tire and ripped the lugs out!They finally strapped it through the cab and destroyed it gettin it up until they could hook it to the frame!My point is that I cant imagine them turning this rig around in the water by just the boat trailer and it still be intact!!!:shaking:

I was thinking the same..........also, I always take motor off the riding support before backing into the water, cause I can't reach it otherwise...........This ones still up............He drove strait in............Maybe truckwas overheating and didn't have a hose around???