PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Stories

longsidelandry
10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Tell some of your favorite personal hunting story here. This is mine...

Last season a guy at our lease shot at what he called "an OK buck". We started looking and found a little blood and some white hair. As we follow the blood it gets less and less. He said he knew that he hit it hard so we only brought his 30-06 in the woods with us. As we get about 20 yards into the woods we hear the deer get up and run a little piece then lay back down. We started moving towards him a little faster, hoping to catch up to him. This went on for about 70-80 yards, he would get up and run a piece and we would follow the sounds of him. We get to the edge of the creek and see where he went in at so we start looking at the other side to see where he came up. I was looking towards the left and my brother was looking to the right (we were the 2 closest to the deer) down the creek when he froze in his tracks and said "holy &%^$ that's a big #$% deer". Before I could get by him the deer climbed up the creek bank and started the other way. My brother went looking for a dry way to get across the creek but I just jumped straight in and walked/swam across (in about 50 degree weather mind you) to the other side when my uncle hollered at me to go get the gun, DUH! I go back across the creek, get the gun, then go back and climb up the other side. I check the clip and see that there's only 2 bullets in the gun so I better pull a good shot if I get one. I would run towards the deer so that he would get up and I could try to get a shot on him but he was always behind some thick stuff. Finally a guy behind me hollered and said that he could see him laying next to the creek so I literally threw the gun to him about 10 feet away and he shot...missed. The deer tried to get up and that's when he was able to get a clear shot for him and shot him in the neck. Smart move right...wrong. The deer rolled back into the creek so I had to jump in yet again and grab the deer before it floated down the creek in the current. Needless to say we found out why the deer ran instead of dropping with that "good hard hit", the guy shot the front feet off of the deer, they were literally hanging on by the skin. It ended up being a very nice 9 point, the first deer that guy had killed in 10 years. Here's a pic of the guy with the deer head and another 8 point that was also killed that morning, he mounted it and said he'll put a plate on it that reads "Killed By: Burch Creek Hunting Club" lol.

wtretrievers
10-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Man, I trained & worked blood dogs (Labs) for almost 20 years. There's not enough room here to tell yall some of the stuff & the yahoo's I've come across helping find a deer that they have shot! Been a few rodeo's!!!!!!!

matt1118
10-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Man, I trained & worked blood dogs (Labs) for almost 20 years. There's not enough room here to tell yall some of the stuff & the yahoo's I've come across helping find a deer that they have shot! Been a few rodeo's!!!!!!!
How much will you charge to train my lab to blood trail?? Or is it easy to do.....can I do it?

longsidelandry
10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
How much will you charge to train my lab to blood trail?? Or is it easy to do.....can I do it?

Same question here...

matt1118
10-14-2009, 10:01 PM
i have a yellow lab Im working with on this....we are doing obedience right now, but i know he doesnt like a coon. He went NUTS on a coon in a trap. Think he will make a good blood dog