PDA

View Full Version : new duck lease

mallard matt
10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I just got a duck lease a little northwest of opelousas.Its off of highway 3043,wondering if anyone is familiar with hunting this area.I just got the lease today and am not sure what to expect,its a 39 acre rice/crawfish pond.Surrounded by some semi dry semi wet goose feilds.Wondering if anyone had any info on these areas.

cordgrass
10-16-2009, 12:16 PM
The hunting is pretty good off of 104.

Raymond
10-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Matt, thought you were going more towards Kaplan? Not trying to burst your bubble but,,,,,, this area is not a hot spot for ducks or geese. Plan to hunt the first week of the first split every day since it will be your best bet to kill. Sugar cane has killed this area like others in the state, Fenton/Welsh and the I-49 corridor (Whiteville) are prime examples. Not much other than Blackjacks, teal and spoons for that portion of the state.
Friend hunted the Platan for 3 years out of VP and averaged 50 ducks a season and most came opening day. Next year you might try St Martin Land Co in Henderson, not great hunting but closer to Lafayette.

mallard matt
10-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I had a lease in kaplan the year before last but some problems with the land owner and the fellow who subleased it to us and we couldnt get it back its sugar cane now.Besides all we killed was teal and spoonys over there.The feild that i got is full of rice and becrosh,snipe,rail,and rosiet spoonbills looks perfect for some ducks and i have control of the water. went dide around and found a feild about a mile away with a dozen or so ducks in it.Looks like a pretty place last year i hunted the nichelson land in the corner of 49 and 190 only ten miles away and we pounded the woodies and green head over there and id awlays see ducks on the ponds along 49 right north of there land.So i dont see why we wouldnt get some bird.Ill just have to wait and see,if all else fails i have a camp out of bayou benoit.Ill go wack some woodies.