PDA

View Full Version : Kayak vs canoe?

ratherbefishing
02-21-2013, 03:20 AM
I'm looking for input for buying a yak vs a canoe. I have a 8 year old who loves to fish with me and we primarily fish freshwater but honeslty just want to catch something. Looking at a 2 seater yak doesn't give alot of room like a canoe but I don't see anyone post with a canoe. I'm looking for opinions especially if anyone has experience bringing young ones with them. Thanks guys.

paublo25
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Both my dad and brother-in-law have the Native Ultimate tandem. My dad brings the grandchildren in it he just puts them in the front seat and my brother in law brings his little boy all the time. What's nice about the ultimate tandem is that you can take out the front seat and move up the back seat and it converts to a great solo kayak for days when you are by yourself. It's extremely stable and the seats are the best around. It is more of a canoe style but is lighter than a canoe. Another great boat is the Jackson Big Tuna. This is the same type as the ultimate being a tandem that you can convert to solo. The difference is that the big tuna is a (sit on top) kayak while the ultimate is a (sit inside) kayak. Both are great and I would recommend a kayak over a canoe. If you are ever in lafayette go to Pack n Paddle and talk to Skip. They will also have a big demo day out at Lake Martin March 9. They will have every boat that they sell out there and it is free to demo any boat you want.

weedeater
02-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Nucanoe is another one that can go from tandem to solo if I remember correct and you could mount a trolling motor on it.

RAGINJROB
02-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Definitely try to make the PNP demo. I also believe they will be at Cyp pt on 3/10. I would think a tandem kayak would be more versatile in case you want to go solo. Jackson makes a good looking tandem that's called the big tuna.

LPfishnTIM
02-21-2013, 09:48 PM
the native ultimate, is set up with an open design, kind of like a canoe, they make good kayaks too, I got a redfish model, and I'll probably buy a ultimate next time, if I don't get a hobie

flounderpounder
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
I fit me and my 6 year old twins in the big tuna and its pretty darn stable and room for gear without any modification. It is kinda big and heavy but the stability and comfort are worth it. Paddles surprisingly well.

cyclerj
03-08-2013, 11:14 PM
I own a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 tandem and have also paddled the Jackson Big Tuna. For fishing with two, the Big Tuna is the bomb. Its a good choice if you're fishing in bigger water that may get a little choppy. The Ultimate can't be beat for fishing protected waters, especially solo. It was designed to stand and fly fish from. My daughter and I used to fish from a canoe, but the kayaks are much more stable. They've got a lower profile and less affected by wind. A kayak with a good anchor system can't be beat.

OhSoEasy
03-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Guy I know has one of these. http://www.banditmarine.com/

bmac
03-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Pack and paddle is having a kayak demo day today at vermilionville! Great time to check really see which one works for you. Kids will have a blast too.