PDA

View Full Version : How to choose rods and reels?

david79thomas
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
A couple of years ago I picked a Abu Garcia Revo Winch with a castaway heavy rod to use with strong line trying to muscle reds in easier. That was off of advice. Is there a website or book on how to pick rods and reels? Maybe a comparison test or some chart?

Armand16
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Not sure about a website but I would just ask on here about a specific set up you're looking for.

Montauk17
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Most people use med heavy rods for redfish with braided line,I like 40 pound test stren sonic braid. For specks you want a rod that has a good amount of flex or you will rip their soft mouths. I like to use a light or medium light for trout. As for line I use mono for treble hook lures and braid for jigheads with a 20lb leader. As for reels most will agree shimano is the best just stay away from the new curado and citica g series. The previous year E series were great and made in japan,the new ones don't compare. You can still find them used and even new on ebay or go with the shimano chronarch E series. It is almost an exact copy of the curado e. For bass fishing the options are endless depending on style of fishing and/or lures. For most situations bass fishing a medium heavy and medium action will cover it.

Keywest18
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
I use a 2000-2500 spinning reel with 20lb braid. Catch bass,specks, and 40-50lb reds and drum no problem. Medium action rod. Baitcast i use 12-15lb mono. medium/ medium heavy rod. The light spinning reel with braid is alot of fun to catch reds on

"W"
02-26-2013, 10:36 PM
I use a Med light rod with 8 or 10lb test and catch reds,specks, flounder and 3tail ...

Also add a 20lb Florocarbon leader

Use a 50mg Core reel weights about 3.5oz

meaux fishing
02-26-2013, 10:37 PM
A couple of years ago I picked a Abu Garcia Revo Winch with a castaway heavy rod to use with strong line trying to muscle reds in easier. That was off of advice. Is there a website or book on how to pick rods and reels? Maybe a comparison test or some chart?
what kind of fish you targeting?

Montauk17
02-26-2013, 10:40 PM
I use a Med light rod with 8 or 10lb test and catch reds,specks, flounder and 3tail ...

Also add a 20lb Florocarbon leader

Use a 50mg Core reel weights about 3.5oz

You mean 5.5 oz right....also try out a 50 series before you buy. Not all people have little hobbit hands. 200 series is perfect for most

LPfishnTIM
02-27-2013, 12:17 AM
also a 6.3:1 ratio reel is good for most applications, the lower ratio like a 5.3:1 is good for crankbaits slowing down your reeling and has more power when you reel in. if your fishing a jig a 6.3:1 is good to help keep slack out the line when reeling.

bgizzle
02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
6' 6" ml h&h with curado 50e. 10lb braid 17lb vanish flouro leader. All the species. You can hunt and spend money but GOOD equipment goes a long way. Lighter line helps you to HUUUMM it and long cast equals more consistantly. Ex: catch 2 trout anchor down and then....nothing... Being able to cast further may put you in the wheelhouse without having to anchor up. I've lost many bigger fish trying to catch up to them as well. Better ratio better quality better success..IMO

slickfish
02-27-2013, 01:43 AM

To many variables to your question. Are you wade fishing? Fishing from the bank? Bait or artificial? Help us help you.

david79thomas
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
what kind of fish you targeting?

My main question was is there some information online or otherwise where I can pick and choose this reel with this rod.

But I fish for bass, sacalait, reds and trout mostly. I know to use an ultra light for sacalait/ bream, med light/ medium for bass & trout and a heavier rod for reds. The heavier I used the castaway and a revo winch. I have a academy combo that is an abu garcia black max I like for a cheap go to for top waters, buzz bait, frogs or whatever I want to throw for a short while.

But I'm interested in ratios and rate of line recovery for power and speed reasons. A high ratio means fast retrieval or power?
http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/fishing-reel-gear-ratio.html
Cause the above link says it varies. It's just something I need to be more familiar with. I would normally just use a middle of the line and be ok, but to get something more specific for the certain use I want to use it for may be more efficient and I'd enjoy it more.

david79thomas
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
To many variables to your question. Are you wade fishing? Fishing from the bank? Bait or artificial? Help us help you.

I am not wade fishing. From a boat. I'll use whatever bites for bait lol. Are you saying I need a certain rod and reel for live and artificial baits?

"W"
02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
You mean 5.5 oz right....also try out a 50 series before you buy. Not all people have little hobbit hands. 200 series is perfect for most

Yes 5.5oz my waterloo is 3.5oz total of 9oz

Core 50 Is a great reel ... The curado is more durable but I like light the lighter the better !!

david79thomas
02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
also a 6.3:1 ratio reel is good for most applications, the lower ratio like a 5.3:1 is good for crankbaits slowing down your reeling and has more power when you reel in. if your fishing a jig a 6.3:1 is good to help keep slack out the line when reeling.

Awesome! Thanks, that clears it up a bunch!
What do y'all think about this new Abu reel? 7.1:1 gear ratio
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_MGXtreme_Casting_Reel/descpage-AMGXT.html
I like the look of it too. the ratio seems like it would have a place for those cockahoes and swim baits. Sometimes I'm reeling in and my bait is not swimming like it should cause i'm not reeling fast enough but thought I was.

SaltERedneck
02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
not sure if the abus are tailored for saltwater fishing. sure you could use it but it might be more upkeep. They have an inshore series reel in abu. gotta think durability in saltwater.

Personally i wouldnt put a MGX in saltwater. too pricy and not worth the risk when you can put a 200$ reel like a lews or shimano practically anywhere.

Armand16
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
not sure if the abus are tailored for saltwater fishing. sure you could use it but it might be more upkeep. They have an inshore series reel in abu. gotta think durability in saltwater.

Personally i wouldnt put a MGX in saltwater. too pricy and not worth the risk when you can put a 200$ reel like a lews or shimano practically anywhere.

X2 I would get something thats saltwater proven. Personally I wouldnt get anything slower than 7.0:1 gear ratio. Its a lot easier to real slower than to reel faster... You can still find the discontinued shimano 200e7s on ebay going for under 150.00.... This is a great all around reel and wont break the bank leaving you room for a quality rod.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=shimano+curado+200e7&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=shimano+curado+200e7&_sacat=0

bayouchub
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Wouldnt use the mgx in brackish water. What is your budget for rod and reel?

simplepeddler
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I think this is mainly personal preference......some people have to winch them in, some like a fight.

fishing for tournaments is one thing, fishing for enjoyment is another.
I have fished medium wieght rods with 12 pound big game for over a decade now, fish them for everything.
I boated my two snapper many MANY time on a Calcutta loaded with 12 pound big game......

But I'm a pilgrim.

david79thomas
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Wouldnt use the mgx in brackish water. What is your budget for rod and reel?

no budget here

bayouchub
02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
I would get the shimano core50mg7 and look at loomis, kistler zbone, or st.croix has their top of the line legend extreme rod on sale for half price right now on their site.

david79thomas
02-27-2013, 12:31 PM
I would get the shimano core50mg7 and look at loomis, kistler zbone, or st.croix has their top of the line legend extreme rod on sale for half price right now on their site.

what's the deal with those "skeleton/bone" type rods where the cork or foam doesn't follow from the reel to the butt end? Is it for feeling?

bayouchub
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM
A split grip, it saves a little overall weight on the rod.

jchief
02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
A split grip, it saves a little overall weight on the rod.

And it does allow more "feel" on the blank.

I make custom rods. I use this blank for an "all around" rod. Works well with plastics and topwaters.

MHX SJ 842

Length 7'
Pieces 1
Line Weight 6-12
Lure Weight 1/8 - 1/2
Power Med-Lt
Action Fast
Butt OD .519
Tip Size 4.5
Color Slate
Recommendations LB, DS, CB, TB, WA
Product Description Spin Jig