GulfStar
10-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Recreational Closure for Greater Amberjack in the Gulf of Mexico
Southeast Fishery Bulletin

October 19, 2009
FB09-055

In 2008, NOAA Fisheries Service implemented a
recreational quota of 1.368 million pounds for greater
amberjack harvested in the Gulf of Mexico.
Recreational landings data indicate the recreational
quota has been met. Therefore, in accordance with the
regulations, beginning at 12:01 a.m., local time, on
October 24, 2009, the recreational fishery for greater
amberjack in federal waters is closed. The
recreational harvest and possession of greater amberjack
in or from federal waters will be prohibited through the
end of the current fishing year, December 31, 2009. A
person aboard a vessel for which a federal charter
vessel/headboat permit for Gulf reef fish has been issued
must also abide by this provision in state waters.
NOAA Fisheries Service has determined this action is
necessary to prevent overfishing and to keep the
recreational sector from exceeding its quota during the
2009 fishing year.
If despite the closure, recreational landings exceed the
quota, NOAA Fisheries Service will file a notification
with the Office of the Federal Register, at or near the
beginning of the 2010 fishing year, to reduce the length
of the recreational fishing season for the 2010 fishing
year by the amount necessary to recover the overage
from the prior fishing year. This action is required by
regulations implemented under the Fishery Management
Plan for Reef Fish Resources of the Gulf of Mexico.

If you would like to receive these fishery bulletins via email as soon as they are published, e-mail us at:
SERO.Communications.Comments@noaa.gov You will
also receive a copy of these bulletins through the mail.

fishinpox
10-19-2009, 09:05 PM
i saw that whats next ??? fla trout regs?:eek:

"W"
10-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Killin the fishermen...... HELL CLOSE THE WHOLE GULF and Give it the the Japs...

SULPHITE
10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah ok well smother the US rec fisherman and crap like this will still happen even in the US

YouTube - Pirate Tuna - Japan

meaux fishing
10-19-2009, 11:03 PM
that sucks...I'm going fishing offshore on the 24th:(:cry:

yak'em-n-stack'em
10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
this is ridiculous

cmdrost
10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
i've been preaching this for a while, but no body seems to really care. This is a domino effect that will continue until the red snapper fishery is healthy again. People stop catching snapper, they turn to a.j.s or grouper, now those are in decline, people turn to triple tail or tuna, and those are getting hammered too and severly under regulated. The whole Gulf Coast Council is a joke.

LaAngler
10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
sad

Ray
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
AJ's was my back up when we didn't catch Snapper.
Them's some fighting mutha's...

mikedatiger
10-20-2009, 08:06 PM
i've been preaching this for a while, but no body seems to really care. This is a domino effect that will continue until the red snapper fishery is healthy again. People stop catching snapper, they turn to a.j.s or grouper, now those are in decline, people turn to triple tail or tuna, and those are getting hammered too and severly under regulated. The whole Gulf Coast Council is a joke.

If you want to read an interesting post on triple tail go on over to the sportsman - was a bashing going on hot and heavy over lack of a limit. Letting some poor b-stard have it!

This is an interesting discussion though - do you take what you can just because that's what the limit is, or do ya let em swim? I don't know the answer, but I imagine only a matter of time before this spreads to everything. They're trying like heck in TX to get the speck limit to 5!

"W"
10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
ONCE AGAIN...YOu will never fish out the GULF with ROD N REEL......

LostCajun
10-20-2009, 09:45 PM
This is BULLSHIAT and CCA probably supports it......

cmdrost
10-21-2009, 09:53 AM
If you want to read an interesting post on triple tail go on over to the sportsman - was a bashing going on hot and heavy over lack of a limit. Letting some poor b-stard have it!

This is an interesting discussion though - do you take what you can just because that's what the limit is, or do ya let em swim? I don't know the answer, but I imagine only a matter of time before this spreads to everything. They're trying like heck in TX to get the speck limit to 5!

Well LA is really the only state on the Gulf Coast without a limit on triple tail. Talk to the older guides both here and over on Ponchatrain and they will tell you they've witnessed a huge decline! Dudley has impossed a limit on them for his clients and encourages everyone else to do the same.

PS - I wonder if that discussion on LAS got anchored because I couldn't find it?

LaAngler
10-21-2009, 10:20 AM
edit: deleted to avoid hijacking aj post

Hopedale Hustler
10-22-2009, 05:17 PM
this is out of hand if u ask me...it all goes back to obama...ive heard he's about to buckle down on rec fisherman and hunters...its about to get bad out here i believe....

LaAngler
10-23-2009, 01:03 AM
just read CCA's statement issued from david cresson, they are preaching to the choir sending out those emails, actually do something would be nice.

YellaBlazer
10-23-2009, 02:42 AM
There's so much wrong with the NMFS it's hard to comprehend.

How in the hell can anyone overfish amberjack with a 1 per person per day limit? Where is this information coming from that the population is in decline, you ask? The NMFS get this information by RANDOM SURVEY CALLS. Have any of you or anyone you know received one of these calls? I know I haven't and I also haven't caught an amberjack in close to 3 years. The snapper fishing is too good!

Speaking of red snapper, same deal with them. How can you overfish red snapper by well over 1 MILLION POUNDS this year with a 2 per person limit and a 75 DAY season? Hell, a few years ago, we couldn't do that with a 4 per person limit and a 6 MONTH season! If anything, it shows that the snapper stock is GROWING!

I would encourage everyone to read up on this when you have a few minutes. It is unbelievable to see what the NMFS has based their decisions on.

Here is a PDF of the stock assesment plan.
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/StockAssessment/tm_spo56/2001ImprovePlan.doc

cordgrass
10-23-2009, 12:23 PM
NMFS = liberals

LostCajun
10-24-2009, 10:24 AM
NMFS = liberals

X2 - Obama Fish Police