PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Water

wtretrievers
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Whats the thought on catching trout in dirty water? I always here, "dirty water, no trout here". I'll have to call BS! Since Saturday eve & every evening this week we've been catching some really nice trout in water that looks like chocolate milk. Visibility is about 4" with a black bait. Can't even come close to seeing the foot of the trolling motor.
???????????????

"W"
05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I catch em in Dirty Water!!! Black/Chrt sand eel!!!

Trent Buxton
05-20-2009, 03:05 PM
When I fish west cove the dirtier the water the better the catch on some occasions...

Hackberry Hustler
05-20-2009, 03:58 PM
The fish gotta eat everyday wether the water is dirty or not. the trick is to present a bait that they can see, hear, or smell. I have caught many fish in dirty water, but it is always much easier to catch them in clearer water cuz they can see your presentation better. that goes for salt or fresh species.

The Salty Hog
05-21-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree, recently I've been doing well using gulp shrimp (new penny) fished slow. I first started using it about a year ago & I love it in muddy water conditions. (And clear of course)

SH

killa k
05-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree, recently I've been doing well using gulp shrimp (new penny) fished slow. I first started using it about a year ago & I love it in muddy water conditions. (And clear of course)

SH

I'll second that. This winter I was drifting in Turner's Bay with a 20mph wind and caught a backlash that took me 5 minutes to undo, dragging a gulp shrimp across the bottom and felt a bump on my line so gave it a quick pull to set the hook. After I finally finished getting the tangle out I reeled in an 18" speck. So I drug my gulp across the bottom in water that looked like it could have been plowed and caught 4 more before I gave up fighting the wind.

The Salty Hog
05-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I hear you Killa'

One of my favorite ways to fish it (for reds) is to just pitch it into the grass, twitch twice, give it slack and watch the line. If it doesn't move I'll pull back the slack slowly to feel for em'. Alot of times they'll suck it up and just sit there with it. It's a great way to fish gulp if you don't see alot of movement/pushing in a pond but your confident they're there. I really like fishing with it.

SH

Mung
05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I fished from Spicers thru the Texaco cut Saturday. The water was not quite choclate milk, but not pretty. Caught everything on Gulp shrimp and Black/Chart tail Dudley, bumped very slow. When visibility is poor, add scent and slow down, and you can catch. As someone else mentioned, they still gotta eat.

killa k
05-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I hear you Killa'

One of my favorite ways to fish it (for reds) is to just pitch it into the grass, twitch twice, give it slack and watch the line. If it doesn't move I'll pull back the slack slowly to feel for em'. Alot of times they'll suck it up and just sit there with it. It's a great way to fish gulp if you don't see alot of movement/pushing in a pond but your confident they're there. I really like fishing with it.

SH

That's how the bite was yesterday, 1 very little bump and nothing, reel in the slack and sting 'em! Had 2 or 3 suck it to the gills like that.