PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again.....Black Panther Sighting

Smalls
07-05-2013, 11:39 AM
KLFY has posted on their facebook page about an UNCONFIRMED Black Panther sighting in Acadia Parish. Pictures to go with story. Now being that I have 2 degrees in wildlife, and work as a scientist, I am not one to buy into these stories. Is it possible that bigfoot and black panthers exist? Sure. Is it likely, considering there has never been 100% fool-proof evidence of one? No.

That being said, the pictures, while from a good distance away, look like a large black cat. It may be real. They even found large tracks to go with it. Be interesting to see where this goes.

Only thing I find to be truly ridiculous about the whole thing is that the women said she was only 100 feet away from the cat when she took the pictures. If that is true, then either that is a black house cat and not a black panther, or lady is terrible at accurately measuring distances.

Top Dawg
07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Can u post th pic? Lol cuz a guy at work came with a pic of one today and claims he took it on his property lmao!

Smalls
07-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Had to grab it from another site. Can't get to my facebook right now. There is another one zoomed in on the cat.

Montauk17
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
I doubt it but you never know. Last year in henderson I saw a solid white large cat. Way to big to be domestic. Showed 2 game wardens and they think it is a albino fox. Wish I could post the pics it's on my old phone that broke.

Top Dawg
07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Lol that's the one

Smalls
07-05-2013, 11:54 AM
So your buddy said he took it?

"W"
07-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Big Black House cat..lmao

Top Dawg
07-05-2013, 11:58 AM
So your buddy said he took it?

Lol yea

Smalls
07-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Well this was supposedly in the Broussard area. I really think it could be legit. They are saying they found a paw print the size of a human hand. Now, why they didn't take a picture of this print beats the hell out of me.

"W"
07-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I doubt it but you never know. Last year in henderson I saw a solid white large cat. Way to big to be domestic. Showed 2 game wardens and they think it is a albino fox. Wish I could post the pics it's on my old phone that broke...

Smalls
07-05-2013, 12:06 PM

lmao!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Montauk17
07-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I mentioned it last year but could not post the pic....I got it on the phone I would like your expert opinion. PM me your cell number will try to send it.

Freshwater Fishing Reports: Henderson bass fishing - SaltyCajun.com

"W"
07-05-2013, 12:13 PM
I mentioned it last year but could not post the pic....I got it on the phone I would like your expert opinion. PM me your cell number will try to send it.

Freshwater Fishing Reports: Henderson bass fishing - SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38181)

sacalaitman
07-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

Top Dawg
07-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Well this was supposedly in the Broussard area. I really think it could be legit. They are saying they found a paw print the size of a human hand. Now, why they didn't take a picture of this print beats the hell out of me.

Definitely a house cat. Check out the freshly mowed grass and his belly is dragging the grass.

Smalls
07-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Blow up of that picture.

"W"
07-05-2013, 12:29 PM
...saltycajun forensic team

Go

swamp snorkler
07-05-2013, 12:34 PM
the second one is a male

"W"
07-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Got the white cat pixs... does look like fox

Top Dawg
07-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Pomeranian

Clampy
07-05-2013, 12:39 PM
That bottom pic is a Jag. 2nd largest cat next to tiger. 250lbs. Also the only big cat that can be black and even then it's rare. MT Lions its literally 1 in a few million chance one could be black. The majority of black cat sighting are house cats that look big because of the back ground and other things making it look better.

"Its Just a Ride "

swamp snorkler
07-05-2013, 12:39 PM
spotless dalmation

Clampy
07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Bushy looking tail on white one looks like fox.

"Its Just a Ride "

Montauk17
07-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Where is the meme? Freaked me out never seen anything like it before in the wild. Watched it for almost 30 mins.

"W"
07-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Where is the meme? Freaked me out never seen anything like it before in the wild. Watched it for almost 30 mins.

Montauk17
07-05-2013, 01:42 PM
LOL

Hopedale Hustler
07-05-2013, 02:01 PM
That bottom pic is a Jag. 2nd largest cat next to tiger. 250lbs. Also the only big cat that can be black and even then it's rare. MT Lions its literally 1 in a few million chance one could be black. The majority of black cat sighting are house cats that look big because of the back ground and other things making it look better.

"Its Just a Ride "

Lions are the second biggest cat on earth besides a tiger...jags are 3rd...the biggest they get are around 300 lions get close to 600 and tigers have been known to grow to be jjst south of 1000 lbs.....google told me all of this btw

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Clampy
07-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Forgot to look behind me. Didn't see the Internet police. ;)

"Its Just a Ride "

Clampy
07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Either way. No such thing as black panther.

"Its Just a Ride "

simplepeddler
07-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Either way. No such thing as black panther.

"Its Just a Ride "

that's racist

Clampy
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Ha

"Its Just a Ride "

Smalls
07-05-2013, 04:22 PM
that's racist

Yeah, what he meant was African American panther

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

specktator
07-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Dude that used to work for my dad swears he saw one(black panther) in my woods in St Francisville while squirrel hunting about 20 years ago. And this dude's nickname is "Gator Man". He would put Swamp People boys to shame. Dude will go camp in the middle of the swamp in a tent by himself for a week or two and just live off the land. Kind of hard not to believe him, you never know. If it was anyone else i would definitely call BS. I have seen some big cat tracks on my prop before.

"W"
07-05-2013, 04:37 PM

MathGeek
07-05-2013, 04:45 PM
New species and sub species are discovered all the time. Y'all hear about the new bass in Florida? There have been many times when a "mythological" creature or color variation was known by "unconfirmed" observations for decades before finally being confirmed by the scientific authorities of the day.

Proving negatives is almost impossible in science. Even if a specific sighting has a more reasonable explanation, that does not prove there is no black panther, just that a specific instance is unconvincing.

I have no idea if this sighting is real or not. I'd be more impressed if a qualified scientist made a full investigation such as photographing and casting the prints before dismissing the claim out of hand. The size and weight of an animal can be accurately estimated from a good print. The photograph leaves open the question of scale.

wishin i was fishin
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
ha, news said it was a large domestic cat. only one way to find out... shoot it!

Jcredeur
07-05-2013, 06:47 PM
So on KATC they showed a cut out of a cougar in the same place at the same distance..... It was nearly 4 times as big as the house cat they saw....

redaddiction
07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
No, I beg to differ! There ARE black panther's out there in the wild!!

Vermillionaire
07-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Dude that used to work for my dad swears he saw one(black panther) in my woods in St Francisville while squirrel hunting about 20 years ago. And this dude's nickname is "Gator Man". He would put Swamp People boys to shame. Dude will go camp in the middle of the swamp in a tent by himself for a week or two and just live off the land. Kind of hard not to believe him, you never know. If it was anyone else i would definitely call BS. I have seen some big cat tracks on my prop before.

No offense, but I dunno how much I would buy into something a guy whos name is gator man and who lives in the woods by himself for weeks at a time says.

flounder_smacker
07-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Yeah I talked to the biologist that investigated it. said they figure its a 30-40lb house cat. It's no panther but still pretty big for a pet cat. Thing must be eating some high protein food.

Loneshark
07-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah I talked to the biologist that investigated it. said they figure its a 30-40lb house cat. It's no panther but still pretty big for a pet cat. Thing must be eating some high protein food.

I've come across many crazy *** house cats. I Don't think I would want to mess with a 30-40 pounder.

Top Dawg
07-05-2013, 11:10 PM

He was drunk

specktator
07-06-2013, 04:47 AM
He was drunk

Yep prob so. Or stoned.

jchief
07-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Will/can house cats and say bobcats interbreed like coydogs?

squatcher101
07-06-2013, 10:19 AM
the so calld black panther in question is realy a jaguar.an i have seen two in west bay since i was young there is a photo of one at a store in bayou chicot from a locals trail cam an when you look at it theres no doudt its real.

Goooh
07-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Didnt they have footage of a panther on the series North America? Could be wrong, just remember a big cat that they said took forever to get in camera.

Flatfishfreak
07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm so saltlife I have a pet black panther!!!

10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish

Jcredeur
07-06-2013, 12:47 PM
52837 the panther showed up at my house this morn!

hairy
07-06-2013, 02:07 PM
most big black cats i see round my house r wearin baggy pants and wife beaters

tim3516
07-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Montauk17
07-06-2013, 02:31 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tbF2hbg18y0/TG1tH_eQ9jI/AAAAAAAAAI8/26VaZwwSOEA/s1600/gary-coleman.jpg

"W"
07-06-2013, 05:17 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/7626a849ee0ddaeec112ec742d0680ed/tumblr_mixqpjye3h1qhw9kvo1_400.gif

ike84
07-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Probably wasnt a fox if you got to watch it for 30 minutes. They are very elusive and if they see or smell you they will be gone, just like a deer, bobcat or coyote. I would guess it was a dog, but I wasnt there.

BIGV
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Not saying I am a expert but years ago I saw a black cat slip through the woods silently and fast. It looked to be 5 or 6 foot long with tail. The tail was just as long as body! I say there are and always have been panthers in louisiana but no one says anything because all the critics try and tell them they did not see what they did see. I have been in the woods hunting and fishing for 30 years and know my game with pretty good accuracy.

cgoods17
07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Word on the street, there was a black panther this past January around south Carlyss area... anybody have anything on that?

Montauk17
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Probably wasnt a fox if you got to watch it for 30 minutes. They are very elusive and if they see or smell you they will be gone, just like a deer, bobcat or coyote. I would guess it was a dog, but I wasnt there.

Promise you it was not a dog...I agree with you on the elusive part. I don't think it saw me,there was nobody else out there to spook it. I have watched the way they move while deer hunting,this one acted the same way.

Clampy
07-15-2013, 02:13 PM
There are cougars in Louisiana. 100%. .000001 % chance one could ever be black. Every time people see a " black one " it's right at dark or early in the am. It's just mind tricks and we think we saw a black cat.

"Its Just a Ride "

marshrunner757
07-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Lived in Carly's all my life. Have heard of sightings but have never seen one. Have seen a pair of cougars one morning on my way duck hunting. Sitting right in the middle of the road when I turned the corner by my house. Needless to say, they cleared the ditch and was gone in one leap. Only time I've seen them. I suspect all the black panthers are now in Florida tracking Zimmerman lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

marshrunner757
07-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Word on the street, there was a black panther this past January around south Carlyss area... anybody have anything on that?

Lived in Carlyss all my life. Have heard of sightings but have never seen one. Have seen a pair of cougars one morning on my way duck hunting. Sitting right in the middle of the road when I turned the corner by my house. Needless to say, they cleared the ditch and was gone in one leap. Only time I've seen them. I suspect all the black panthers are now in Florida tracking Zimmerman lol.

Duck Butter
07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Cougar sightings are taken halfway seriously until the person says it was a black one:)

Cougars do exist here, but there is zero evidence of a breeding population.

Clampy
07-16-2013, 08:57 AM
^^ that's what they say but I'm sure a few are breeding. Got to be. They found that evidence of that one by fausse point a few years back.

"Its Just a Ride "

Duck Butter
07-16-2013, 09:45 AM
^^ that's what they say but I'm sure a few are breeding. Got to be. They found that evidence of that one by fausse point a few years back.

"Its Just a Ride "

There have been at least two confirmed wild cougars in the last few years. None were black, and there was only one at each time. There is one on display as soon as you walk into the LDWF headquarters in Baton Rouge. This was killed around Shreveport, but it was actually of domestic origin. Most times when an animal is out of its range like that its a young male roaming, see it with black bears all the time. When a nuisance black bear is caught south of I-10 they used to take them up to the Tensas area to relocate them. Many times the bear would be back in the exact same spot not long afterwards after traveling over 100 miles:eek: IF it didn't get ran over by a vehicle. The only way to get a successful relocation now is to move a female with cubs. She will stay in the area to raise here cubs and not take them on that long journey back 'home'.

jchief
07-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Have heard the rumors of the cats in Carlyss also. I have seen a track that I thought was from a cougar on the intracoastal. This was probably 30 or so years ago. The print was almost as big as my hand and did not have any claw marks. It was in very soft ground.

No expert and no idea what it was.

Goooh
07-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Cougar sightings are taken halfway seriously until the person says it was a black one:)

Cougars do exist here, but there is zero evidence of a breeding population.

Target on ambassador was loaded with them on Sunday, the term cougar in itself means that they were part of a breeding population.

There were black cougars their too, but in far fewer numbers.

CajunSteelsetter
07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
The "sightings" in Carlyss or even any area in the Western part of the state isn't far fetched since their population has been growing and expanding out from West TX. A stable population is highly unlikely. Also black "panthers", as in a true black colored mountain lion, is so highly unlikely to occur that its difficult that there could be more than one at any time anywhere without special breeding program in captivity. Jaguars is also highly unlikely in this area, although a few escapees isn't far fetched. Doubt they are viable and breeding though.

Duck Butter
07-16-2013, 11:10 AM
The one at Fausse Pointe was verified as wild and the report was published in Southeastern Naturalist, here is the link to the presser

http://www.mountainlion.org/newsstory.asp?news_id=170

Mike Carloss is a biologist with LDWF now

The one in Shreveport was of domestic origin, there was one on a trail camera a couple years back (can't remember where) that was verified as wild as well.

For the record, everyone of my in-laws over 40 years old in Union and Lincoln Parish have seen or HEARD a black panther:rotfl: How does one tell a black panther by sound? My aunt had a black one pass in front of her on I-20, and my my uncle had one jump across the road in front of him in Tensas. Not denying any of this, as cougars are real and do come through Louisiana and one is probably here right now, as they do not know state boundaries when they travel, BUT my uncle also swears that he went through a time warp in Tensas Parish and I can not mention that without telling the story (story below):grinpimp: I really do believe him with the cougar as there was another guy with him and they were not drunk, but were leaving the camp to go get more beer for the evening.

The time warp story is a good one. Its 12 miles from I-20 to the water tower in Crowville where one turns to get to our camp. He and a buddy turned off I-20 and looked at their watches and said something about the time and how they were going to get there in time to hunt the evening. Lets say its 2 pm. They get to the water tower and both look in amazement as its only 2:06, which means they would have been going 120 mph in his old truck which couldn't have happened, so the ONLY logical thing that could have happened is they went through a time warp:eek:

Interesting enough, I was overseas with a dude from Newellton and for some reason we got to talking about this story and he turned a shade of pale and told me a similar story about the same stretch of highway:spineyes:

Jcredeur
07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Wow! I've heard plenty of odd stories from up that way. My Mom is from Ft Necessity just down the road. Never heard of the time warp but my Grandma and Grandpa always told stories of big cats around there but never specified black cats. My Grandpa passed away in 1988. He hunted Franklin, Tensas and Caldwell parishes all of his life.

"W"
07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Target on ambassador was loaded with them on Sunday, the term cougar in itself means that they were part of a breeding population.

There were black cougars their too, but in far fewer numbers.
http://www.chromemusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/dancing.gif

Duck Butter
07-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow! I've heard plenty of odd stories from up that way. My Mom is from Ft Necessity just down the road. Never heard of the time warp but my Grandma and Grandpa always told stories of big cats around there but never specified black cats. My Grandpa passed away in 1988. He hunted Franklin, Tensas and Caldwell parishes all of his life.

Its a pretty good area now, but that must have been a paradise back then:)

Jcredeur
07-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Its a pretty good area now, but that must have been a paradise back then:)

He would tell stories about hunting on Glascock island and in the Copenhagen hills. It was all open public land back then. He also talked about how people would come from miles around just to see a deer track when the numbers were down.

Duck Butter
07-17-2013, 06:56 AM
He would tell stories about hunting on Glascock island and in the Copenhagen hills. It was all open public land back then. He also talked about how people would come from miles around just to see a deer track when the numbers were down.

Wow! I get to spend a fair amount of time there and its a cool place. You can walk through a prairie and find oyster shells and shark teeth and whale bones:eek: Really cool area

Found a freshly killed deer up there a few years back and thought it was one that got away from a hunter but the head was completely gone and the body was cached in some brush and covered like a cat or bear would do. Ran and got a game camera and had visions of finally getting a panther on camera. Came back 3 days or so later and it was a bobcat. He would come eat on it and then lick itself, and then take a nap and go back to eating it again:rotfl: Got tons of pics of it, and when I looked for the deer remains there was nothing to see, not a bone or a hoof or anything. Deer was 75 lbs or so and a buck, and had heard a bobcat can take down a deer, and they can. I think I posted pics here somewhere

Jcredeur
07-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Wow! I get to spend a fair amount of time there and its a cool place. You can walk through a prairie and find oyster shells and shark teeth and whale bones:eek: Really cool area

Found a freshly killed deer up there a few years back and thought it was one that got away from a hunter but the head was completely gone and the body was cached in some brush and covered like a cat or bear would do. Ran and got a game camera and had visions of finally getting a panther on camera. Came back 3 days or so later and it was a bobcat. He would come eat on it and then lick itself, and then take a nap and go back to eating it again:rotfl: Got tons of pics of it, and when I looked for the deer remains there was nothing to see, not a bone or a hoof or anything. Deer was 75 lbs or so and a buck, and had heard a bobcat can take down a deer, and they can. I think I posted pics here somewhere

I never got to hunt that area but heard plenty of stories. When my Dad an Grandpa hunted out there it was all just open timber. Before leases were in existence up there.
We hunt west of Columbia in Mount Pleasant and have seen several suspicious cats. Word is however is that the lake they are making in the Duchene Hills off of the Oua****a is coming along. We have been seeing more n more hogs and bear with the activity. I'm kind of looking forward to see what gets pushed out on us when the lake is flooded.

duckman1911
09-19-2013, 08:48 PM
I really want to see a black panther now. Since they officially dont exist that means they arent officially regulated so that means I can officially smoke check that mudda. Y'all gona know if I ever see a black panther or big foot cuz that is gona be in the back of ma truck.hehehe :)

duckman1911
09-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Of course though the lovely wlfd would still come up with a way to fine you for shooting something they say doesnt exist..lol

Lake Chuck Duck
09-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Of course though the lovely wlfd would still come up with a way to fine you for shooting something they say doesnt exist..lol
PETA would have you azz! lmao

duckman1911
09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Lake, maybe i'll get lucky and PETA will send out the same folks they sent to that biker rally.lol

scooper
09-30-2013, 11:19 AM
W, the shots of the groundskeeper doing the Ray Lewis imitation are classic! I've got tears in my eyes and I've gotta get on the phone with the DOT. Keep it comin', man.

Bdub
09-30-2013, 11:54 AM
We had a new kid come work at the shop (19), said they shot 5 of em off their back porch somewhere in sulphur hahaha. He said they would walk out into the woods behind their house and you would see them jumping from tree to tree...what a good storyteller. He lasted a week lol guess the boss didn't like his stories.

duckman1911
10-01-2013, 05:39 AM
We had a new kid come work at the shop (19), said they shot 5 of em off their back porch somewhere in sulphur hahaha. He said they would walk out into the woods behind their house and you would see them jumping from tree to tree...what a good storyteller. He lasted a week lol guess the boss didn't like his stories.

Just a guess but im bettin he conviniently kept forgetting to bring the pictures of them to work for you to see.lol

Bdub
10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
He didn't make it a week, I didn't even bother asking for pics haha

MarshRat89
10-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Black Panthers in Banker!! The Land owner where i deer hunt said when they were cutting his cane last week they flushed one out! Told me to be safe and on the lookout! The Farmer is a customer of mine. I stopped by his house yesterday, and he bust out laughin when i told him that.

Slidellkid
10-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Nobody thought there were cougars in Louisiana till last year when fish and wildlife confirmed it.

Clampy
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Nobody thought there were cougars in Louisiana till last year when fish and wildlife confirmed it.

Thinking they aren't any cougars in LA is one thing. Believing in a completely mythical animal is another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MarshRat89
10-07-2013, 05:38 PM

This guy tried to say the farmer told him that. But I talked to the farmer and he bust out laughing.

swampman46
11-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Thinking they aren't any cougars in LA is one thing. Believing in a completely mythical animal is another.

A Cougar is mythical?

Clampy
11-09-2013, 12:32 AM
A Cougar is mythical?

A black one is !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MarshRat89
11-09-2013, 01:02 AM
They had another one on tv 10 lafayette this week. Wlf brought a life size cut out of one and compared it to the pic turned out to be a house cat.

7and7fish
11-09-2013, 06:36 AM
2 years ago we had a member of our club in Dry Creek with a picture of a cougar on his trail cam. LDWF came out and went through a long process to verify the pic. At the time he was told that it was only the third confirmed siting in the state.

Visco
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
I know someone else that claims to have seen the elusive black cat :spineyes:

I remember as a teenager my cousin and I were were running down a dark road looking for rabbits and saw something very large cross the road and it was not a deer or bear. I remember we then started hearing story's about the black panthers that lived in the LA and MS national forests.

Screenshot_2014-02-19-20-18-53.png Photo by redman1973 | Photobucket

mcjaredsandwich
02-19-2014, 09:25 PM

Smalls
02-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Here we go again.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2