PDA

View Full Version : Powerstroke tuner

Natural Light Kid
07-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Buying an '09 F250 with a 6.4 Powerstroke. Interested in getting a couple more MPG's if possible. I'm not wanting to do anything radical. Don't want to take life off of the truck or make it any louder. More power is welcomed, but that's not what I'm after. Looking at Superchips Flashpaq. If anyone has experience with any of this, I would appreciate some input.

PS
Truck is out of warranty so voiding warranty is not a concern.

weedeater
07-20-2013, 06:27 AM
what ever you decide on I would find somthing that has a display to monitor your engine info. when I was running my Dodge, the Edge with Juice was a good unit but I am not sure about Ford and whats on the market now.

Goooh
07-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Buying an '09 F250 with a 6.4 Powerstroke. Interested in getting a couple more MPG's if possible. I'm not wanting to do anything radical. Don't want to take life off of the truck or make it any louder. More power is welcomed, but that's not what I'm after. Looking at Superchips Flashpaq. If anyone has experience with any of this, I would appreciate some input.

PS
Truck is out of warranty so voiding warranty is not a concern.

I don't have any recommendations on tuners, just make sure you get one with a pyrometer so you can monitor EGT's. if the egr cooler goes, this will be a good indicator. Egr cooler is one if the biggest problems with new diesels, if it quits you are basically pumping super hot exhaust gas back through the engine and your coolant temp won't tell you about it.

An out if warranty diesel should get the DPF, egr and egr cooler deleted. This will help power AND MPG's alone, it's all emissions BS and is the week link...

Powerstrokehelp.com youtube videos are priceless, they don't have many for the 6.4, but the 6.0 videos the same story - watch them and save yourself a motor!

Goooh
07-20-2013, 06:41 AM
And for those with trucks under Warranty, find and independent shop that does warranty work. A lot of them will do the delete for you, and if you have to make a warranty claim you bring it in to them and they will fix it, if a surveyor has to come out to approve the repairs, the shop will put all the crap back on.

There is one in douson I believe.

Natural Light Kid
07-20-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't have any recommendations on tuners, just make sure you get one with a pyrometer so you can monitor EGT's. if the egr cooler goes, this will be a good indicator. Egr cooler is one if the biggest problems with new diesels, if it quits you are basically pumping super hot exhaust gas back through the engine and your coolant temp won't tell you about it.

An out if warranty diesel should get the DPF, egr and egr cooler deleted. This will help power AND MPG's alone, it's all emissions BS and is the week link...

Powerstrokehelp.com youtube videos are priceless, they don't have many for the 6.4, but the 6.0 videos the same story - watch them and save yourself a motor!

Thanks. Good info. Will eliminating the Dpf, egr, and egr cooler make the truck louder?

Goooh
07-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks. Good info. Will eliminating the Dpf, egr, and egr cooler make the truck louder?

Barely if anything, removing the cats and stuff will give you noise. If you do that, don't forget the salt life stickers and bed mounted rocket launchers.

clay67
07-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Talk to Corey Wilson at Calvin's auto off of Post Oak Rd in Sulphur or Universal Diesel on Hwy 90 in Sulphur. I have heard good things about both places. Corey at Calvin's does custom programs for whatever you want.

Natural Light Kid
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Deal fell through on that 6.4. Found a clean 7.3 I'm picking up tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

deek248
08-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Never giving up my 7.3! Check out Powerstroke Nation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Clampy
08-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Deal fell through on that 6.4. Found a clean 7.3 I'm picking up tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Put twin turbos on it. Best diesel every made.

jldsc
08-08-2013, 06:13 AM
worse thing ford ever did was get away from the 7.3, they should have just improved horsepower from this platform.

Sent from an Apple Tree..

Clampy
08-08-2013, 06:50 AM
worse thing ford ever did was get away from the 7.3, they should have just improved horsepower from this platform.

Sent from an Apple Tree..

I always said the same thing. Should have just put twins on it and been done. It's really navistar's fault.

swamp snorkler
08-08-2013, 06:58 AM

You getting a better engine!!

My FIL has a 1999 F-350 with the 7.3, if the tires are gripping what ever is hooked to it is coming with it! He only has 140,000 miles on it. He has an old school Power Programmer 2 and get's almost 20 MPG light truck, upper teens pulling a load to the the deer lease. When he had his camper 33' Mobile Scout that weighed 9,000lbs he was get 12-13 mpg.

Hopefully he wills it to me, I would love to have it. I would say on a scale of 1-10 it's an 8.

Montauk17
08-08-2013, 07:22 AM
7.3 is a awesome engine....been looking for one for months. Hard to find one nobody wants to sell the one's in good shape.

swamp snorkler
08-08-2013, 07:31 AM
7.3 is a awesome engine....been looking for one for months. Hard to find one nobody wants to sell the one's in good shape.

There's an add thehulltruth with a dude selling an Excursion Diesel with the 7.3 >220,000 miles for $13K

Montauk17
08-08-2013, 07:36 AM
There's an add thehulltruth with a dude selling an Excursion Diesel with the 7.3 >220,000 miles for $13K

Someone will buy it too. I found a 2002 f250 7.3 ext cab long bed in texas for 12,000. Called the guy one evening was gunna drive to look at it the next day. He called me back 3 hours later and said it was sold.

toodeep
08-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I have a 7.3 2 wheel drive with280000 miles and knock on wood have not touched the engine. the company truck has over 400000 and only changed the injector sleeves.
both are basically stock.