PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here a logger? I Need Some Help!!!!

Matt G
08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
About 2 months ago a family friend fell into a really great deal for some lots on Toledo Bend. He picked up 4 lots totaling close to 3/4 of an acre and being the great person that he is, gave a lot to me and my brother!! All 4 lots are covered in trees, and we ain't no damn loggers! Our friend got the number to a logger in the DeRidder area who might have been interested in clearing the lots in exchange for the lumber. He took a look at them 2 weeks ago and said that the job may be a little too much for him. There are some pretty large trees in there and there is a powerline running on our side of the street, otherwise, I would go up there with some equipment and do it myself.

He finally called back yesterday and declined the offer. Does anybody know of an outfit that may clear it out in exchange for the lumber? The property owner across the street has started clearing his property. He has substantially more property and said whoever wanted his wood could have it as well. He more or less just wants to get it off of his property.

weedeater
08-01-2013, 04:08 PM
I dont know how much you plan to clear but dont completely clear that land, you will want the shade and it keeps grass from growing as fast... last thing your are going to want is a yrd to keep up when you make a trip up there to relax. We have 2 acres up there and my mom went crazy and slicked it off so now its to hot to be outside and the frigen grass grows like crazy up there.

PBJ
08-01-2013, 04:10 PM
About 2 months ago a family friend fell into a really great deal for some lots on Toledo Bend. He picked up 4 lots totaling close to 3/4 of an acre and being the great person that he is, gave a lot to me and my brother!! All 4 lots are covered in trees, and we ain't no damn loggers! Our friend got the number to a logger in the DeRidder area who might have been interested in clearing the lots in exchange for the lumber. He took a look at them 2 weeks ago and said that the job may be a little too much for him. There are some pretty large trees in there and there is a powerline running on our side of the street, otherwise, I would go up there with some equipment and do it myself.

He finally called back yesterday and declined the offer. Does anybody know of an outfit that may clear it out in exchange for the lumber? The property owner across the street has started clearing his property. He has substantially more property and said whoever wanted his wood could have it as well. He more or less just wants to get it off of his property.

It's not really worth a logging company's time to move equipment and cut that small of a tract. I think you are going in the right direction looking for someone with a portable sawmill to come cut and saw it. Good luck and congrats on the land!

Matt G
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
I dont know how much you plan to clear but dont completely clear that land, you will want the shade and it keeps grass from growing as fast... last thing your are going to want is a yrd to keep up when you make a trip up there to relax. We have 2 acres up there and my mom went crazy and slicked it off so now its to hot to be outside and the frigen grass grows like crazy up there.

The thing that worries me about the trees are that they are so large and I keep hearing to clear out any trees because storms get pretty bad up there. I did notice how sandy the soil is and how easy the trees across the street were dropping. Especially when one went the wrong way and took out the powerline on our end. :eek:

It's not really worth a logging company's time to move equipment and cut that small of a tract. I think you are going in the right direction looking for someone with a portable sawmill to come cut and saw it. Good luck and congrats on the land!

That' what I was figuring, but it can't hurt to ask. I may just contact a larger company and see if they know of anybody who would be interested. And thanks!

PBJ
08-01-2013, 05:30 PM
I think there use to be a sawmill on Highway 111 around Evans that made pallets or mats. If you ever pass through there they might could hook you up with someone local.

adamsfence
08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
mike baham in oakdale 318 335 0844.......you won't find anyone to do it for the wood on something that small. but he is very reasonable. he also has a camp there so it might would be close enough for him

Matt G
08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I'll try both those leads. If nothing pans out, I'll have some good videos of Coon@$$es Gone Wild On Machinery to post!

MathGeek
08-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Before I had my own small lot logged, I hired a consulting forester to evaluate the value of the timber. I ended up with $18,000 in my pocket in addition to having the land cleared as I wanted it. The consulting forester was only a few hundred bucks and I learned a lot walking around with them, talking, and marking the trees I wanted removed. They wrote down an inventory of the trees that was then shopped for bids to the loggers. The loggers knew the estimates of board feet and species was accurate because the foresters had a good reputation.

Your timber may or may not have much value, but the foresters will document it and help keep the loggers honest.

southern151
08-01-2013, 08:31 PM
D9 Dozer and a BIG bon fire...

Matt G
10-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Well my buddy finally found someone to clear cut our lots and he just text me this picture. Now it's time to start burning tree tops and removing stumps......... As if I didn't have enough projects going on to deal with.

MathGeek
10-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Well my buddy finally found someone to clear cut our lots and he just text me this picture. Now it's time to start burning tree tops and removing stumps......... As if I didn't have enough projects going on to deal with.

We rented a stump grinder and took care of the stumps easily in areas that were just going to be lawn or fruit trees. You only need to do a good stump removal on areas that are built on/over.

Matt G
10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
We rented a stump grinder and took care of the stumps easily in areas that were just going to be lawn or fruit trees. You only need to do a good stump removal on areas that are built on/over.

Thanks for the tip. It'll make for less dirt work to be done if we don't have to remove all of the stumps.

Would it be a good idea to go up there and poision the stumps first. We plan on letting it sit for a while.

MathGeek
10-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Would it be a good idea to go up there and poision the stumps first. We plan on letting it sit for a while.

We didn't need to poison the stumps. When we noticed poison ivy, we always hit it quickly with round-up. Nothing makes manual clearing efforts difficult like poison ivy (and poison oak and sumac). I wouldn't bother with herbicide until you see something growing that you don't want to grow.