PDA

View Full Version : black pots

yak'em-n-stack'em
11-05-2009, 06:52 PM
how yall clean yalls black pots?

i have one ive cooked with regularly for 3 years now and all i try to do is just use hot water and scrub it.

is there a trick yall use?

BottomOfTheBoot
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
normally works better if you clean it the day you cook in it...:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

jk bro...i do the same.

i've heard if you rub some earl on it after cleaning...it makes cleaning it the next time alot easier.

H2OFwlKlr
11-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Yep, Yak em, clean it with hot water, heat back up to dry it out, and do as BOB said, earl it down!

swamp snorkler
11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
First I empty my pot of leftovers and save it. I then take my pot and put it back on the stove over a high fire. Then i I use about a quarter cup of kosher salt or rock salt with a cup of water and put it in the pot. I take an old dish rag, grab it with a pair of tongs and clean out my pot. I then empty it rinse it out and put it back on the fire till it dries. Then I put about a tablespoon or 2 of Crisco and smear it around with a paper napkin.

Ray
11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
It all depends on what you cook in it.
If you fry something, you just wipe it out after dumping the oil.
If something sticks that you cannot get out by rubbing with a rag, put it on the fire
with a little bit of water and when it boils, it will clean the pot.
Dump water, heat up till dry and oil.
Don't ever use soap. It will make it taste bad next time you cook.
You can buy them already seasoned at the factory from Lodge.
If not, I oil mine real good and turn upside down on a cookie sheet and put on a
real hot bbq pit, or in an oven a couple times, then oil again and let cool.
Then cook some fried taters in them 5 or 6 times and cover, don't remove the oil.
The oil soaks in real good.
Makes it more non stick.

all star rod
11-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I pretty much do what Swamp Snorkler said!!!! Nothing like pot roasting teal in a black pot!!

CatDaddy
11-05-2009, 11:24 PM
hot water... if you put soap on it, it dries it out, plus mawmaw would knock the fire outta you if she caught you using soap on a black pot.. put it on the stove and heat it up to make sure its 100% dry so it dont rust. then rub dat oil on dat.

Hopedale Hustler
11-06-2009, 08:38 AM
i put mine in a open fire wit some oyster oil

longsidelandry
11-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I had gotten some for our wedding...I'm sorry, my wife got some for our wedding lol...they are the lodge pre-seasoned ones but they don't look too seasoned to me. You think I should strip them down and recoat them or just cook alot of greasy stuff in there to get them right?

Ray
11-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Best way is to fry taters and fried chicken in everything and leave the oil in them.
Keep frying until the pot is black and oily.

craziekajn
11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
My parents had a pot that was never seasoned and has some rust on it that they were going to throw out that I took. The question I have is how do you get rid of the rust and then season it.

longsidelandry
11-06-2009, 11:04 AM
My parents had a pot that was never seasoned and has some rust on it that they were going to throw out that I took. The question I have is how do you get rid of the rust and then season it.

I've heard that if you stick them in a fire it will get just about anything off of them. I haven't done it but a buddy does his like that.

CatDaddy
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Brush the rust off with a wire brush and rinse the rust dust off... Get you some veggie oil and wipe it on dat pot.. then i use a gas grill to "burn it" or you can use your oven but its gonna make some smoke in ya house. about every 30 minutes, or after every beer, open the grill, and wipe some more oil on dat pot.. do that till your pot is as black as you want dat... ANd the more you use it, the blacker and better it gets..

cmdrost
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
another easy trick (for those that have a car with a trunk) is to oil it really well and leave it in your trunk all day. That way its ready to use when you get home.

CatDaddy
11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
another easy trick (for those that have a car with a trunk) is to oil it really well and leave it in your trunk all day. That way its ready to use when you get home.

Im lost..

SULPHITE
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Cat never cooked out the back of yo trunk??

CatDaddy
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Cat never cooked out the back of yo trunk??

Nope... Dont have a car...

But ill tell you what.. As soon as my wife gets home im going put an oily black pot in her trunk.. I dont know why tho...

CatDaddy
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I had a black friend once, and we put Armor-All on him and it made him look really black...

longsidelandry
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Nope... Dont have a car...

But ill tell you what.. As soon as my wife gets home im going put an oily black pot in her trunk.. I dont know why tho...

That oughta go over real well with her...Hey hun I'm gunna put these freshly oiled black iron pots in your trunk for a few days

CatDaddy
11-06-2009, 11:55 AM
That oughta go over real well with her...Hey hun I'm gunna put these freshly oiled black iron pots in your trunk for a few days

Imma tell her... "but.. but ..but baby, the guys on Salty Cajun told me to"... lol

longsidelandry
11-06-2009, 12:01 PM
lol o ok, if you tell her that you should be alright then

B-Stealth
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I had a black friend once, and we put Armor-All on him and it made him look really black...

:eek: I'm still laughing.:rotfl:

longsidelandry
11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
:eek: I'm still laughing.:rotfl:

lmao, I had missed that one

eman
11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
You can wire brush the rust off . Then (being very careful) Wear rubber gloves and eye protection, Mix water and lye in a plastic container that is big enough to hold the cast iron.put cast iron in container makeing sure it is compleatly under water. cover and let sit outside . depending on how bad a shape your cast iron is in it may take 4 or 5 days to bring the metal back to original finish.
Pull from lye / water mix and wash 3 times w/ soap and hot water . then wash 2 times w/ hot water. put pot on stove over low heat to dry.
To reseason, Heat pot till warm and rub w/ lard inside and out . Put pot in gas grill upside down w/ foil under it to catch any drips and crank up the heat as hot as it will go. let the pot cook for an hour or 2 and turn off heat . Let pot cool on its own. It will take 2 or 3 times like this to really get a good black non stick finnish on your cast iron. any chance you get fry something in your pot and leave the oil in it over night. then pour out oil wipe clean w/ paper towels and wash in hot water , NO SOAP!
To store your pots after washing and drying w heat you should wipe a thin coat of oil inside the pot and lid. fold a paper towel and place between the pot and lid to allow air to circulate in the pot . This prevents rust.
In a black iron pot that is well seasoned you can fry eggs w/o any oil or butter and they won't stick at all.

swamp snorkler
11-06-2009, 11:28 PM
i have a black iron skillet that i can make pancakes in, its better than any teflon.