PDA

View Full Version : Motor questions

Red Devil
05-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Need help here fellas. I'm looking at purchasing a Frontier 210 and I was curious as to which motor ya'll would go with. Looks to me they all come standard with a Yamaha 150, but some are 2 stroke and some are 4 stroke. I'm not very familiar with the new engines and any feedback would be great. Also, there are a bunch of different model numbers for both the 2 stroke and 4 stroke 150's. Thanks

flounder_smacker
05-22-2009, 02:08 PM
for the 150 yamaha id go with the 4-stroke. whats the transom height on that boat? if its 20 you might want to look at the 150vmax hpdi. the hpdi's are mean motors ad get almost as good fuel as the 4strokes. really any yamaha motor is a good buy. the hpdi might push the boat a little faster but the 4 stroke will get better fuel.

Red Devil
05-22-2009, 02:15 PM
for the 150 yamaha id go with the 4-stroke. whats the transom height on that boat? if its 20 you might want to look at the 150vmax hpdi. the hpdi's are mean motors ad get almost as good fuel as the 4strokes. really any yamaha motor is a good buy. the hpdi might push the boat a little faster but the 4 stroke will get better fuel.
The boat I'm looking at already has the 150 TXR 2 stroke.

pascagoula
05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Looks like your ready to go! 2 stroke has less maintanance and is a little lighter. Very reliable motor.

"W"
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
4 Stroke ALL DAY FOR ME!!!

flounder_smacker
05-22-2009, 05:22 PM
actually the 4stroke yamaha is lighter than the vmaxhpdi. only by 2 pounds mostly because the vmax is a 6cly and the 4stroke is a 4cly. for the money the 4stroke i believe is a little less than the vmax. the 150 txr is carb and the fuel wont be even close to the fourstroke. they put those on boats to drop the price so they can move the boat. with the market like it is id tell them to put the fourstroke on and bump the price by 1000 and see what they say. go with the fourstroke and you wont be upset.

Red Devil
05-22-2009, 05:24 PM
actually the 4stroke yamaha is lighter than the vmaxhpdi. only by 2 pounds mostly because the vmax is a 6cly and the 4stroke is a 4cly. for the money the 4stroke i believe is a little less than the vmax. the 150 txr is carb and the fuel wont be even close to the fourstroke. they put those on boats to drop the price so they can move the boat. with the market like it is id tell them to put the fourstroke on and bump the price by 1000 and see what they say. go with the fourstroke and you wont be upset.
Thanks for the info.