PDA

View Full Version : Fast, dry, roomy boats

bay_slayer
11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Just want to get you guys opinions on what boat ya'll think has these qualities. I know there is no boat that will have all these qualities with them. What I am looking for is a fast, dry, comfortable boat that can take the bays without getting beat to hell. I want to get a 21-22 foot boat.

Ray
11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Most are dry, but the direction you hit the waves can get you wet with spray.
The pounding is what will kill you.

If you want all them thangs, it will cost you. Fountain.

"W"
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Haynie

bay_slayer
11-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Them haynie's ride pretty smooth? They look like they would ride rough with any kind of chop.

all star rod
11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Also, the weight of a boat has to with the ride to!

Bluechip
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I have a 22ft Champion...Heavy boat but a very nice ride...
200 HPDI...Tops out around 53 or so, but 35 to 40 is plenty fast for me...

B-Stealth
11-06-2009, 08:52 PM
21 ft Champion.

Very dry, smooth ride, and will do about 50 with a 200hp.
Only drawback of the 21 ft Champion is the smaller front deck.

Im sure a Triton 22 will do about the same never rode one.

jpeff31787
11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
dude our 1910 nautic star rides awesome! VERY VERY VERY dry and super smooth. I was on the side of a 22ft blazer is some good chop and it looked like they were getting beat more than us

bay_slayer
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
dude our 1910 nautic star rides awesome! VERY VERY VERY dry and super smooth. I was on the side of a 22ft blazer is some good chop and it looked like they were getting beat more than us

Do you have a picture of your boat?

"W"
11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Them haynie's ride pretty smooth? They look like they would ride rough with any kind of chop.

That Hayine is one of the driest boats on the water

bay_slayer
11-06-2009, 09:49 PM

I like the look and design of the Haynie's, but I would have to get one second hand. They look pretty expensive ($35,000 and up)

B-Stealth
11-06-2009, 10:11 PM

???

I like the way the Hayine's look, and I'm sure there fast boats but I'm not sure about the dry part.

They have flat sides just like my 1998 Bay Stealth which is a very wet ride.

But I have never ridden a Hayine.

We dont need a bay boat in big lake that will get up in 12 inches of water. We need a boat that will fish the lake and the gulf when the weathers calm.

SULPHITE
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
go to bed

bay_slayer
11-06-2009, 10:17 PM
???

I like the way the Hayine's look, and I'm sure there fast boats but I'm not sure about the dry part.

They have flat sides just like my 1998 Bay Stealth which is a very wet ride.

But I have never ridden a Hayine.

We dont need a bay boat in big lake that will get up in 12 inches of water. We need a boat that will fish the lake and the gulf when the weathers calm.

That is what I am looking for, but with a dry ride

T-BAZ
11-07-2009, 07:33 AM
I have a Blue Wave 200 V-Bay Special with a Suzuki 140 4-stroke and i love it. It tops out at about 43 and is a very dry ride,large front deck,decent back deck and it is just a great boat in my opinion. I paid $26,000 for it which is not a bad price.

Dink
11-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Cape Bay!!!!!

Hopedale Hustler
11-07-2009, 11:38 AM
i want a blazer bay 24

live to fish
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I have passed up all the boats mentioned, Pathfinder, there is no substitute.

mikedatiger
11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
How much does a 2200 pathfinder run? My guess is it's too rich for my blood.

Ray
11-07-2009, 12:03 PM
The 24 Pathfinder STARTS at $50K.

live to fish
11-09-2009, 11:17 AM
You can make great deals on slightly used Pathfinders right now. Fla. ecomomy is in the toilet. They almost giving them away.

I paid just over 30k for mine, slightly used. It had 14 hours on it. I bought it in Destin.

LaAngler
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Ranger, shearwater, triton, blackjack

cmdrost
11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Haynie is a dry ride.

Pathfinder is a lighter boat, so will beat you up in a good chop.

You'll want a heavier hull boat that can achive good speed. Out of those...Champion, triton, & blackjack would be your best bet for all 3 options you are looking for.

I'd vote for the blackjack. Just my humble opinion.

cabwiz2
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I have the Triton and love it. It is a heavy boat but the ride is great and dry. I have the 24 but I guess the 22 would be about the same.

LaAngler
11-09-2009, 12:23 PM
another good big water boat is the hydrasport bay bolt 23

on a budget the 24 mako is a good hull, 24 haynie HO supposed to be bad azzz

I have seen those old 23/24 kenner hulls out at calcasieu rock in 3 foot seas

wtretrievers
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I've got the 24' Skeeter. It's a heavy hull & rides good. Places like Big Lake can get rough real quick, I never had a problem, just put that nose down & let her eat. Can get 52 out of it on good water. Has lots of room, big front deck.

meaux fishing
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
i got a 2001 19ft kenner and ive been through some rougher stuff than i would like (2-3 footers) it handled it just fine. Also a very dry boat. i get up to around 40 with a 2 stroke merc 125

rosska
11-10-2009, 12:02 AM
I would not trade my Triton 220lts for anything. One thing I will recommed is trim tabs. In my opinion you will not know what a boat like the Trition, Champion or Blackjack is capable of handling unless you have them.

jpeff31787
11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
http://www.nauticstarboats.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=3

check them out.. they are awesome boats and you aren't paying for the name...yet.
We have the 1910 and we've fished 4 people out of it comfortable. We can fish 3 on the front deck and 2 on the back deck if we wanted and we have before. Ours has a 115opti and it run about 37 with 3 ppl, full tank of fuel, icechest full and fishbox full. Takes the chop very nicely. The only time we'll get wet when the waves are coming from one of the sides and I gotta go that direction. We've been in 3-4 footers in it and we were running 22mph pretty comfortably and not getting wet.

bay_slayer
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.nauticstarboats.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=3

check them out.. they are awesome boats and you aren't paying for the name...yet.
We have the 1910 and we've fished 4 people out of it comfortable. We can fish 3 on the front deck and 2 on the back deck if we wanted and we have before. Ours has a 115opti and it run about 37 with 3 ppl, full tank of fuel, icechest full and fishbox full. Takes the chop very nicely. The only time we'll get wet when the waves are coming from one of the sides and I gotta go that direction. We've been in 3-4 footers in it and we were running 22mph pretty comfortably and not getting wet.

Thanks for the info man.........I trying to narrow down my decisions

PUREBAY2200
11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
purebay2200....hands down. i can run upper 50 in a 2 ft chop. it gets on top and justs rides the waves. it has a big carolina flare then keeps u dry, unless u got a side wind which there is no protecton from that in a bay boat. i can run the skinny water or run out to the 12 mile rigs in venice. ery comfortable ride and never a worry.
trim tabs help if u have a heavy load or unbalanced load. on a flat calm day ill run 62 mph. absolutely love my boat.

bay_slayer
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
purebay2200....hands down. i can run upper 50 in a 2 ft chop. it gets on top and justs rides the waves. it has a big carolina flare then keeps u dry, unless u got a side wind which there is no protecton from that in a bay boat. i can run the skinny water or run out to the 12 mile rigs in venice. ery comfortable ride and never a worry.
trim tabs help if u have a heavy load or unbalanced load. on a flat calm day ill run 62 mph. absolutely love my boat.

Speed is one of the main things I am looking for:D

PUREBAY2200
11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
ull hae plenty of speed in a purebay. get the new 24 ft if u can with the 250. either a yammy or etec. the pro xs is a nice engine but pricey. u gan get a good deal on yammys and etecs.
ur lookin @ about 38-40k loaded out. depends on the dealer, but ive seen those prices all over the web.
i got mine up for 30k if ur interested. i wanna get a 24. lol

Dink
11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
ull hae plenty of speed in a purebay. get the new 24 ft if u can with the 250. either a yammy or etec. the pro xs is a nice engine but pricey. u gan get a good deal on yammys and etecs.
ur lookin @ about 38-40k loaded out. depends on the dealer, but ive seen those prices all over the web.

I can vouch for this boat..............it'll get up in 1 1/2ft o wata, and rides like a champ........kinda fast though...........

Will"E"Fish
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
23'Kenner

bay_slayer
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM

You lose that much speed between the 22' and the 24'??????

jlincecum
11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
thats not a speed for the 24, thats a price

bay_slayer
11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
thats not a speed for the 24, thats a price

LMAO.......I feel like a douche. OK do you have any idea what the speed would be with the 24 footer? But i really think 22' would be more of what I'm looking for!

jlincecum
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
that 22 is a helluva boat. we fished the shootout this year out of it, very nice ride....
i have the bluewave 22' v-bay w/150 thats quite a bit cheaper but not near the boat

bay_slayer
11-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Man that Purebay is a beautiful boat and definitely has my attention right now

mikedatiger
11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
If you really want speed - check out the Majek 2200 Xtreme. Don't ask me about price as I have no idea, but these boats fly!!!!

http://www.secretsoftheoutdoors.com/DSC00420.jpg

Hopedale Hustler
11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I still like blazer bay...24..its bad....unless i can have a free 24 yellowfin rigged out wit a 350 yammy....mah ole Nitro bay is good enough till i start the business though...i use mah flat half the year anyways...

LaAngler
11-10-2009, 09:18 PM

NOpe you said you would do it different next time around!!! :work:

Mike I heard the majek's stuff the bow in the chop!!! bad azzz boat for inside the lake tho...i like the UFo one they had on 2cruel

PUREBAY2200
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Mike I heard the majek's stuff the bow in the chop!!! bad azzz boat for inside the lake tho...i like the UFo one they had on 2cruel

yea i will....ill buy everything i want on the boat when i buy yhe boat.....alot cheaper then. i didnt know what i needed /wanted back then . i do now.
next boat will b a 24 ft, no doubt.

the majek is a sweet boat, but not built for an open lake or bay. ive seen a few of there try and cross bays in hopedale....not fun looking.
but if u stay protected they are a good doat.

PUREBAY2200
11-10-2009, 09:37 PM
LMAO.......I feel like a douche. OK do you have any idea what the speed would be with the 24 footer? But i really think 22' would be more of what I'm looking for!

ull top at about 56 in a 24 purebay. the big thing with the purebays is getting the prop right. it will ride like a cadillac with a ferarri engine once its proped correct

mikedatiger
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM

I can't speak about em in the chop, but I rode in one on a calm day and that thing flew. Saw a composite one at the houston boat show that supposedly would do 80 but you couldn't pay me to have to try that out in a bay boat - especially not in the chop!!

PUREBAY2200
11-10-2009, 09:55 PM
when i ran the film crew around hopedale for the REDFISH CUP back in aug, there were some seriously fast boats out there!!!! one inparticular was ran by chuck and cj howard, the winner of the tourny, they had a sterling 22 ft with a mercury 250 pro xs. man i tell u it flew!! i was runnin 60 and they left me!!! chuck said the boat will run 72-75 depending on load and wind. that is no lie!!!

bay_slayer
11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
ull top at about 56 in a 24 purebay. the big thing with the purebays is getting the prop right. it will ride like a cadillac with a ferarri engine once its proped correct

What is the roughest water you would take the boat in?

"W"
11-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Yall want some speed wait until my Next hitch off!!! When the Black beast is unleashed!!!

Salty
11-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I can't speak about em in the chop, but I rode in one on a calm day and that thing flew. Saw a composite one at the houston boat show that supposedly would do 80 but you couldn't pay me to have to try that out in a bay boat - especially not in the chop!!

W's been 85mph in RR's bote. :smokin:

PUREBAY2200
11-10-2009, 11:17 PM
well keep in mind i fish lake p in 3-4 fters.....thats not for the faint of heart. and ive run to the 12 mile rigs out of venice. i really have confidence in my boat and in my ability/knowledge.
i will run mine in what i feel comfortable in, over a 5 ft and i get worried, a 3 ft rouge wave from the side will roll almost any boat.
my rule is if u question should i go or not.....just dont go. be safe, them fish aint goin no where.
ill tell u this, i fished a redfish tourny in october of 2008 from the rigolets marina in slidell. we were gonna run to the biloxi marsh and fish the northern tip of the area.
to corss lake borgne it was a 20 mile run across open water, we were gonna enter from the the northerm most point and work our way down toward bayou st malo then return home.
well the wind was 25 mph out of the northeast.....our exact dourse.....it was 4 fters for 45 mi as we crossed, but we made it. a lil wet but very happy and extremely pleased. we placed 10 out of 60.
the run back was just as bad , but being in the southern area we only had to corss 6 miles.
i talked to many others that day who turned back and stayed closer to home.
if u want a safe boat here is the list of the most poplular boats i have seen ran in the redfish cups

triton-30%
lake and bay-20%
ranger-20%
shearwater/sterling-20%
bluewave-10%

yes these guys are sponsored by the companies, but believe me after talking to them they choose which company they go with. they live or die in these boats. if its good enough for the redfish cup and the wide expansed of water /conditions they cover, its good enough for any amatuer/ weekend warrior.

bay_slayer
11-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah I'm looking at a lake and bay right now..............that sucker is fine, but I'm worried it wont handle rough water very well.

PUREBAY2200
11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
the 24 & 22 lake and bay is a solid boat for any waters. and will screeam on the water.
trition, is probably the tuffest boat out there. the boat is extremely user friendly.but will not achieve high speeds.

ranger will get u any where u can imagine and do it very comfortably, but its probably the slowest of the boats.

bluewave will get the fast, safe and for less money. they dont advertise like the bigger companies and get all thier parts from us companies. perfect for families, guides or tournament anglers.

sterling is prob the fastest, but u will fell anything over 2 ft chop. is safe but ull know the chop is up.

u really cant go wrong with any of them, each has special features that set it apart from the other.

Raymond
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Neighbor has a Majek that runs 62 with T Top, helps him get to the wiers really fast.;)

Ray
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
If I want to get there before everyone else, I just leave early.

rambored
11-12-2009, 08:41 AM
find someone with the above and take a ride. You won't look any further. If you are looking for a boat of this type than $ is only one of the considerations. Most of the money goes to electronics, power poles, hydraulic jack plates, bimini, and trim tabs. etc. Another piece of advice: go with radial tires and tortion bars and aluminum channel trailer! There is a lot of technology about the reverse strake and dead rise configuration of the hull, but what it means is the boat rides stable, runs dry, digs in a turns with authority and control, jumps out of shallow water, and runs 58-59 MPH with two big boys aboard. There is lots of fishing space, and you can stand on the gunnels anywhere and fish. Down side: the boat with trailer is SOOOO long it is hard to get it into some places, and it is very wide. There are bridges where it's a little scary to cross. Downside: 9-10MPG pulling, and 70 gallon tank at 7-8 gallons per hour at cruise. I would not recommend the 4 stroke, but would recommend HPDI with bullet foot and low water intake. I think that if K2 Marine (Bill Kenner's company) made a 24' Champion, Triton etc. would sell a lot less of their boats the guides like

cmdrost
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
24 ft blackjack and frontier are in the works.......

If I had the $$, I'd get the blackjack with a 250 verado. That'd be a beast.