PDA

View Full Version : Jigs and Egg sinkers

Gerald
11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Does anyone make there own Jigs and Egg sinkers.

If you make Jigs.....where do you buy your hooks?

What molds do you have?

Dink
11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I should look into this........I can NEVER find the right shank length on a jig head..........I always end up getting the Flutter hooks because of this, and sometimes I prefer the action of a jig head.....................You have any probs with the bait coming off???

Gerald
11-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Sometimes the "barb" does not get filled in all the way with lead when pouring the molds.....this happens more on the smaller jig heads. The mold and the lead must be hot or the lead will cool to fast when it is poured into the mold for making jig heads. Not so much of a problem when making Egg sinkers.

If it does not look good, I can melt the lead off the hook and reuse the hook.

slip knot
11-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Keeping every thing hot is key. I've cast bells, eggs and some custom cast net weights for my BIL and keeping it hot is the key. You'll be way ahead if you get rid of the coffe can pot and find a cast iron pot. It'll hold the heat longer and use less fuel to heat to stay molten. We had a cast spoon as well and just left it setting by the pot in the flames. oiling the pull rods is helpful too.

Me and BIL melted down 2 5gallon cans of wheel weights Probably 10 years ago and still haven't used a 1/4 of them. ...SK

fishinpox
11-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I should look into this........I can NEVER find the right shank length on a jig head..........I always end up getting the Flutter hooks because of this, and sometimes I prefer the action of a jig head.....................You have any probs with the bait coming off???

put a dab uf super glue on ther barb b4 u slide the bait up toi the jig head

speckdaddy
11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
i pour alot of my jigheads. only use a ton of 1/4 ounce heads so thats what i started off with. i have a 7 cavity 1/4 ounce mold and i use 4/0 hiiks. had ta modify the mold but they turn out awesum!!! what ya pourin gerald? jighead wise???

speckdaddy
11-08-2009, 05:55 PM
pm me a bout where ta get hooks...i got the hookup!!

southern151
11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
If anybody is interested, I can likely come up with a lot of old wheel weights for your melting. PM me if you are interested. I'm gonna check up on it in the meantime to make sure the guy doesn't use em for anything else.

Gerald
11-09-2009, 01:06 AM
i pour alot of my jigheads. only use a ton of 1/4 ounce heads so thats what i started off with. i have a 7 cavity 1/4 ounce mold and i use 4/0 hiiks. had ta modify the mold but they turn out awesum!!! what ya pourin gerald? jighead wise???

I have a mold that has 6 different sizes.....1/8, 1/4, 3/8 1/2 3/4 and 1 oz.

In each mold cavity, I found that I wanted a larger hook and heavier wire size than what the mold was designed to use. I had to enlarge the mold so the bigger hooks would fit.

I think a 2/0 hook is too small. A 3/0 [regular or heavy wire] hook is about right for most fishing. A 4/0 hook would be ok but IMO....a little large in size. For the 1 oz size jig heads, I used a 5/0 hook.

I tried using some long shank hooks.....but the wire size was a little small and a big fish would straighten the hook if the drag is set too heavy.

Gerald
11-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Keeping every thing hot is key. I've cast bells, eggs and some custom cast net weights for my BIL and keeping it hot is the key. You'll be way ahead if you get rid of the coffe can pot and find a cast iron pot. It'll hold the heat longer and use less fuel to heat to stay molten. We had a cast spoon as well and just left it setting by the pot in the flames. oiling the pull rods is helpful too.

Me and BIL melted down 2 5gallon cans of wheel weights Probably 10 years ago and still haven't used a 1/4 of them. ...SK

Keeping the mold hot is even more important for the jig heads. That lead must get into the "barb" area and down the hook shaft a little. If the lead is not hot enough.....it will not "cast" properly and the lead must be remelted from the hook to try again. A cast iron melting pot would be nice to have....but they don't come cheap.

I started just making egg sinker for my self and then for a friend that fishes offshore fairly often. I probably have made 50 lbs of egg sinkers. [1,2 3,4 and 5 oz.] I also made a mold to make some small size weights and 8 oz egg sinker....but I have to drill a hold through them......and that ain't easy.

In making jig heads......I have used ~15 lbs of lead. I still have 25+ lbs of "tire weights" which I have gotten for free.......so far.

marshworks
11-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I've spent a lot of time with hand poured products and finally had to go with a centrifugal cast. there's a guy on Tackle Underground that's wicked good, he goes by cadman. pretty sure he'd help you out with any questions if you asked. pm me if you want some more details. keep making your gear man, it's the best way if you have the strange addiction to do it (I know I do)!

Artifishual
11-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I make these for flounder.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm308/artifishual/horseheadjigswith30ownerhook.jpg

Artifishual
11-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I get my hooks from "Do-it" catalog.

marshworks
11-13-2009, 07:09 PM
those are solid man...

Artifishual
11-13-2009, 07:45 PM
there ok, but I have trouble keeping my bait up around the head. needs some improvement.

Gerald
11-13-2009, 08:20 PM
there ok, but I have trouble keeping my bait up around the head. needs some improvement.

Looks like you need to make a barb in your mold. Suggest you drill a 1/16" hole next to where the hook shaft is located. Make the hole no more than 1/8" deep. Then with a with a 3/32" drill, enlarge the top part of this hole.....not too deep, just a little. Then put the 1/16" drill back in your drill and try to "wallow" out the hole to make it a "cone" shape.

Ray
11-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Super glue works good too.

"W"
11-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Does anyone make there own Jigs and Egg sinkers.

If you make Jigs.....where do you buy your hooks?

What molds do you have?

Mr G these are the best hooks in the world!!!! You want a good hook order from here....
http://www.gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_jig90hwrb.htm

Artifishual
11-13-2009, 08:34 PM
thanks I'll give that a try. these jigs tend to hang up A LOT. LOL I don't use them to much. Pot licked this from ****ie Coburn.

YouTube- Trophy Quest Sportscast - Flounder fishing with Capt. Colburn

marshworks
11-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Gerald's right about making the barb. I've screwed up my fair share of molds with a drill and a dremel tool. I've also been known to gorilla glue a small split shot on the shaft to act as a collar. It ain't pretty and people won't buy it but it works.

Gerald
11-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Mr G these are the best hooks in the world!!!! You want a good hook order from here....
http://www.gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_jig90hwrb.htm

Gamakatsu is way to proud of there hooks.....$$$

I can buy jig heads cheeper than buying just their hooks.

Also, there largest is 2/0 size......which is a little small IMO. I think the 3/0 size is just right for trout and reds.