PDA

View Full Version : Granite

PBJ
11-26-2013, 05:44 AM
I bought a new cooktop and it doesn't quite fit the existing cutout in the countertop. The cutout needs to be about a 1/4" wider. Does anyone know what to use to cut or grind a granite countertop?

MarshRat89
11-26-2013, 08:44 AM
I bought a new cooktop and it doesn't quite fit the existing cutout in the countertop. The cutout needs to be about a 1/4" wider. Does anyone know what to use to cut or grind a granite countertop?

You would need a Granite router

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

fishinpox
11-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Angle grinder with a diamond wheel . Make sure u cut relief cuts so when u get to the end of a long cut the weight of the drop does not cause it to snap into the section you are keeping

fishinpox
11-26-2013, 08:55 AM
A granite router ( a router with a diamond bit) will only work if you have a bit that has a bearing and a template ( guide for the bearing to ride on below) you will not b able to control a router with a straight bit free hand . Angle grinder is your best bet , have someone hold the shop vac close to the wheel because the grit will go into the drawer slides below and cause the bearings to not glide good

PaulMyers
11-26-2013, 09:02 AM
A granite router ( a router with a diamond bit) will only work if you have a bit that has a bearing and a template ( guide for the bearing to ride on below) you will not b able to control a router with a straight bit free hand . Angle grinder is your best bet , have someone hold the shop vac close to the wheel because the grit will go into the drawer slides below and cause the bearings to not glide good

Great advice!

Sounds like you've done this more than once or really messed up on your 1st attempt. ;)

fishinpox
11-26-2013, 09:06 AM
It's the same concept a wood , except when you screw up its costs a hell of a lot more

PBJ
11-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the advice! I sure don't want to mess it up. I wasn't sure if I should try to grind the 1/4" off or try to cut it off.

fishinpox
11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Don't grind it , use the grinder with a cutting wheel