PDA

View Full Version : Old Fashoned Cane Knife

Cappy
01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Me and my Good friend "Mr. Ed" mucked out all my frost bit banana palms to the ground the other day. While I was at it Peggy passed by with her camera so I got her to record a video, One of my favorite go to all around tools for gardening, camping, outdoor anything is the good ole school cane knife. I hope some of you find this informative or at the least entertaining.
Cappy's Cajun Cane Knife - YouTube

Matt G
01-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the vid Cappy! I replaced the machete for a cane knife in my boat to chop rozos with. Even with it rusted up from all the saltwater it outperforms the machete hands down....... And it was only $10 at the local hardware store.

meaux fishing
01-21-2014, 06:19 PM
great video and I got a good laugh out of it. thanks for sharing

Cappy
01-21-2014, 06:42 PM
I was hoping you guys would smile about it and realize it was serious as well. A older rustier version stays in the bow of my boat. I've used it for many different jobs. cutting poles for lines traps etc. valuable when cat fishing trapping trail blazin the list is endless. In my openion it far out preforms a machete and ya can cut through a pretty big sapling faster than with a hatchet,

duckman1911
01-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Great video Cappy. Those cane knives are great. Cold Steel makes a good one and it will get hair shaving sharp.

Cappy
01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
I've never seen a cold steel cane knife. I have seen a wicked blade they make called a heavy machete though. It looks like a cane knife with no hook. The guy that had one was all proud of it showing it off saying how good it was and only cost him 35$ I pulled out my trusty 10$ cane knife and impressed him:D

duckman1911
01-22-2014, 12:36 PM
I've never seen a cold steel cane knife. I have seen a wicked blade they make called a heavy machete though. It looks like a cane knife with no hook. The guy that had one was all proud of it showing it off saying how good it was and only cost him 35$ I pulled out my trusty 10$ cane knife and impressed him:D

You right Cap it doesnt have a hook so I guess its not really a cane knife. Im a big fan of cold steel. I love my CS tomahawk. That baby will get scary sharp and I have the scar to prove it.lol. You cant beat a trusty blade no matter who made it :)

Cappy
01-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Cold steel is truly a great company. I love their products too and aint ever heard complaints. The classic cane knife has a hook on the blade. I guess I'm weird but I do not put an edge on the hook. I use it lots but prolly not as it was intended. In my boat I often use it to catch lines, or trap ropes, etc. I have used it to hook a branch and pull it down in reach to unhook a fly bug:spineyes:. I find the hook on the blade more usefull blunt edged than sharp.