PDA

View Full Version : Online brokers

swampman46
02-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Which online brokers do you guys recommend, and how much cash is required for startup? Also, what do they charge for transactions? Thanks.

I make oil
02-18-2014, 12:45 PM
I use etrade.

https://us.etrade.com/home?ploc=p-Logo

There are many different plans for how you plan on investing. Go to the site and do the surveys it will help you out.

I also use a private broker for some trading. Not all stocks are on the exchange and sometimes it's easier for me to use a broker when I'm not going to be at home due to work. He can watch my stocks while I'm at worked make trades as per my plan. Costs more but saves me money in the long run.

"W"
02-18-2014, 05:15 PM
I use
Edward Jones and Scotts Trade

swampman46
02-19-2014, 08:02 AM
OK thanks guys, about 15 years ago I was using Ameritrade, but I don't really remember the particulars of stating up. But I checked a few out yesterday, and it seems most require a $500 balance...not bad. Back in those days Enron was in bankruptcy. I have to admit, I was really just winging it back then. Didn't really know what I was doing. Took a gamble on Enron penny stocks by investing $5k...came out with about half of that. :rolleyes: But if a person keeps things in perspective, and follow the old saying "invest only what you can afford to lose", you won't get hurt too badly. :)

cajunkid
02-21-2014, 09:09 AM
I use Fidelity. I think their website is very user friendly and they answer the 1-800 number promptly . I have multiple accounts. Brokerage, Roth Ira, Traditional Ira, and a Cash Management Account (which is a checking account with debit card). It is easy to electronically transfer money from my local bank to the cash mgmt. account. Once in the cash mgmt. account I feed IRA and brokerage accounts. I really do not use my local bank for much anymore.