PDA

View Full Version : How/what to eat right?

bay_slayer
11-15-2009, 05:59 PM
One of my biggest problems with losing weight is that I simply dont know how to eat healthy. I dont know what foods to stay away from (except for the obvious, i.e. Candy, cokes and fried foods). Not only that, but portions have alot to do with it too. So maybe we can post up some foods that can help with our goals. Good Luck

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, I will get this thing started:
1. Stay on the perimeter of the grocery store (fresh vegetables, meats, dairy products)
2. Stay away from processed foods.
3. Bake instead of fry, grill instead of saute'
4. Choose lean cuts of meat.
5. Skim milk, low fat cheese, and low fat mayo
6. 5 servings of fruits and vegetables
7. Wheat instead of White bread
8. Eat lots of baked or grilled fish (this one should be easy for us)

That is a start anyone has any other tips put um up.

Reel Bender
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
How does Gumbo fit in the equation?

Thats what I just had.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Depends what you put in it. It is not the healthiest thing in the world especially the way we make it here in S. La. When it comes to eating the things we love portion control is key. You have to be willing to eat less or exercise more. When thinking about losing weight it is a give and take. If you are going to eat a bad meal you should take it easy the rest of the day. Eat a healthy breakfast and lunch or any combination depending on when the bad meal is taking place.

The best advice or opinion should I say since I am the furthest thing from an expert would be to count calories. I have said it before no more than 2000 a day if that is not working go less.

Ray
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
How does Gumbo fit in the equation?

Thats what I just had.

File(feelay) gumbo instead of a roux gumbo and leave out the sausage, just chicken, okry or shrimp.
Or go with the dry roux instead of the flour and oil roux.

huntin fool
11-15-2009, 07:27 PM
cooking homemade meals, with your own ingredients i heard helps

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
File gumbo instead of a roux gumbo and leave out the sausage, just chicken, okry or shrimp.
Or go with the dry roux instead of the flour and oil roux.

you got it exactly the way i see it

fishinpox
11-15-2009, 07:40 PM
the problem i face is i dont like veggies , ect... i guess i will have to learn to like em .

Ray
11-15-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't like veggies either.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-15-2009, 08:04 PM
my dad lost a bunch of weight a few years ago. He too doesn't like any vegetables. It just means you eat more baked chicken but not the skin. That or any other meats cooked healthy.

slip knot
11-15-2009, 08:25 PM
If it tastes good its bad. Thats the way it seems to me. Everything I like is bad for me..SK

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
they say in order to lose weight you have to make a lifestyle change. i think the mindset that may help is thinking of food as just a means to live not a reason to live. the old saying eat to live or live to eat.

Gerald
11-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Another tip is do not eat your supper late at night. Try to eat before 6 PM and then maybe some fruit or raw veggies for a snack.

I find watching TV.....is very bad. I snack way too much while watching TV.

Keeping busy doing some kind of chores around the house will keep you active and away from the kitchen.

Big Flounder
11-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I need to jump on this wagon too. I went to a doctor about 3 months ago for my jacked up back and when I stepped on that scale my jaw hit the floor. It said 253 and the doc said that could have a little to do with my back problem. I work exactly 24 miles from my house and it takes me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get home after I baby sit 18 grown men 7 days a week. After that 10 hour day of work and that lovely traffic there is nothing more I want then a cold beer. Thats what my biggest problem is cause once I drink my daily 6 pack I eat dinner and got to bed. And I also don't eat any veggies. I'm going to pick me up a scale and see if I can drop a few.

yellalilyslicker
11-15-2009, 08:56 PM
the problem i face is i dont like veggies , ect... i guess i will have to learn to like em .
Maybe try the low sodium V8 juice for your veggi source, its not to bad.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I need to jump on this wagon too. I went to a doctor about 3 months ago for my jacked up back and when I stepped on that scale my jaw hit the floor. It said 253 and the doc said that could have a little to do with my back problem. I work exactly 24 miles from my house and it takes me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get home after I baby sit 18 grown men 7 days a week. After that 10 hour day of work and that lovely traffic there is nothing more I want then a cold beer. Thats what my biggest problem is cause once I drink my daily 6 pack I eat dinner and got to bed. And I also don't eat any veggies. I'm going to pick me up a scale and see if I can drop a few.

you should think of a goal you want to set for yourself and post it in the goals thread on this forum.

2ndamendment
11-15-2009, 10:59 PM
One thing most of us enjoy here in the South is white rice. Switch to brown rice for a healthier meal. Brown rice with your gumbo. It sucks making the white to brown rice transition but you will have to keep eating brown rice to acquire a taste for it.
Exercise several times a week by getting your heart rate up for 30 minutes i.e. riding bike, jogging etc. Yeah, sex does count for getting your heart rate up but does not count for all exercise.

Fishmaster
11-15-2009, 11:04 PM
One thing most of us enjoy here in the South is white rice. Switch to brown rice for a healthier meal. Brown rice with your gumbo. It sucks making the white to brown rice transition but you will have to keep eating brown rice to acquire a taste for it.
Exercise several times a week by getting your heart rate up for 30 minutes i.e. riding bike, jogging etc. Yeah, sex does count for getting your heart rate up but does not count for all exercise.

unless you can last for all 30 mins.
:*****:

Ray
11-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I can't eat brown rice. I have tried several times.
I live to eat. That is my biggest problem. Growing up in Cameron, the only food was home cooked, even in the resturants. There was no fast food down there until a couple years ago and Rita wiped that place out. I was raised by my grandma for a few years and she could cook some good food.
I stay active, but cannot do much to exercise my stomach/back midsection cause
if a bad back.
My doctor said I need to eat right, it is the only way I can lose the weight.
I do walk with my wife in the evenings and we both eat around 5 pm.
I got that habit from working offshore. We eat at 5 am, 11 am and 5 pm.
It is a good habit that I can't break if I wanted to. I have been eating like that
for the past 25 years.

cmdrost
11-16-2009, 12:17 PM
you'd be surprised how easily you could lose some weight by eating earlier. Like said above try eating by 6 and don't eat anything else, esp before bed.

Also, my biggest problem, is only eating 1 portion and not going back for seconds.

Do those 2 things and you can get away with some of the unhealthier options every now and then.

And then cut out completely:

carbonated drinks - diet coke, etc.
fast food

and you should be ok.

2ndamendment
11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I can't eat brown rice. I have tried several times.
I live to eat. That is my biggest problem. Growing up in Cameron, the only food was home cooked, even in the resturants. There was no fast food down there until a couple years ago and Rita wiped that place out. I was raised by my grandma for a few years and she could cook some good food.
I stay active, but cannot do much to exercise my stomach/back midsection cause
if a bad back.
My doctor said I need to eat right, it is the only way I can lose the weight.
I do walk with my wife in the evenings and we both eat around 5 pm.
I got that habit from working offshore. We eat at 5 am, 11 am and 5 pm.
It is a good habit that I can't break if I wanted to. I have been eating like that
for the past 25 years.

Defeated before you started with I can't. Yes you can! I can't is a crutch. Everyone has the ability to change;)

fullrutt
11-16-2009, 04:30 PM
guys I fight professionally and also train many many people in BR and the biggest thing to do to lose weight is take in lots of protein. When cutting for a fight or looking good to party in Vegas the biggest thing we all do is stay on a serious protein diet. Protein and exercise will cut more weight then anything.

taking protein makes your muscles burn fat! How ever you exercise do it at least 3-4 times a day! If you just want to lose some belly fat its not hard in anyway! Walking around at 205-210 most of the year I can shed to 170 for a fight in 35-55 days and still be healthy. If I don't get back on the ice cream sandwiches and beer I can keep 170-180 for a few months

Tete Dur
11-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Keep It Simple Stupid.....stop worrying about what foods to eat so much. Doing that can intimidate you and lead you to fall off of the wagon as it can be frustrating to try to always have perfectly healthy foods.

Losing weight can be much easier than many people try to make it out to be. It can be accomplished by this one simple method.....EAT LESS AND MOVE AROUND MORE!

Losing weight is not an exact sicence and should not have to be a huge burden on the person involved. Simply eating less and exercising more can give the average person huge successes in a weight loss venture. Too many people try to complicate what has to be done to lose weight by creating stupid fad diets or making you give up what you enjoy eating and replacing it with foods you don't like. You can eat everything you like and have success if you simply EAT LESS and EXERCISE MORE.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Keep It Simple Stupid.....stop worrying about what foods to eat so much. Doing that can intimidate you and lead you to fall off of the wagon as it can be frustrating to try to always have perfectly healthy foods.

Losing weight can be much easier than many people try to make it out to be. It can be accomplished by this one simple method.....EAT LESS AND MOVE AROUND MORE!

Losing weight is not an exact sicence and should not have to be a huge burden on the person involved. Simply eating less and exercising more can give the average person huge successes in a weight loss venture. Too many people try to complicate what has to be done to lose weight by creating stupid fad diets or making you give up what you enjoy eating and replacing it with foods you don't like. You can eat everything you like and have success if you simply EAT LESS and EXERCISE MORE.

Well said.

SULPHITE
11-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dur http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/images/camo/viewpost.gif (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?p=78192#post78192)

Well said.

I was contemplating not going to the gym...thank you for making up my mind!! Headed there right after work!!!!!!!

Mediumheavyaction6'6
11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I was contemplating not going to the gym...thank you for making up my mind!! Headed there right after work!!!!!!!

getting ready to jump on the treadmill

LittleRob
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I know alot of poeple are intimidated about going to the gym they want to get inshape,before they go. When ever walk into any gym you should be able to find a person who is willing to help you, and answer questions. I was terrified of the gym, cause I was(am) a pewny guy, but once I swallowed my pride and just walked in and showed a little dedication, poeple would come up and make suggestions, help spot me. Everyone asked the same question about what type of foods I eat, and i agree don't stop eating what you enjoy, just eat less and drink alot of WATER. Use a tape and measure yourself, tapes don't lie, scales can be off, or if you are going to weight yourself do it first thing in the morning.

mikedatiger
12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Agree with the above statements about diets. My mother-in-law is always paying for some fad diet and I always shake my head. Weight loss is pretty straight forward, if you burn more calories than you consume, then you will lose weight. Figure out your ideal calorie intake and then try to stick with it. I used to be big time into lifting and my calorie target was around 2500. Not saying you have to eat nothing but chicken and fruit as you need at least one cheat day per week.

as little rob said - measure your results. whether it be minutes on a treadmill, weight sets, body fat, etc...if you don't measure you don't have a target and won't ever meet your goals.