PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge problem!

ConroeCajun
11-17-2009, 08:51 AM
A couple of weeks ago Ii took my boat out of storage to find the fuel gauge past empty. I knew I has half a tank when I stored it. Mt first thought was someone siphoned my gas. I put at least a 1/4 tank still did not move the gauge. Does anyone know how to check the sending unit to see if it is working?

Thanks

ConroeCajun

Jordan
11-17-2009, 09:00 AM
did you turn the key on ? mine shows below empty when my key is off, when i turn it on, it goes to its right place.... check the obvious first before you go and replace guages...

cabwiz2
11-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Or as in Jordan's case touch all of the wires together and see how high of a flame you can make. lol

longsidelandry
11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Or as in Jordan's case touch all of the wires together and see how high of a flame you can make. lol

:*****::*****::*****::*****:

wtretrievers
11-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Check contacts on sending unit & back of gauge for corrison.

Jordan
11-17-2009, 09:27 AM

lemme check my e-mail... is it pick on jordan day ???

longsidelandry
11-17-2009, 09:29 AM
lemme check my e-mail... is it pick on jordan day ???

Isn't that just about every day??!! :D

Jordan
11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
ugh...

Ray
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Corrosion on the fuel sender(on top of the tank) or a bad ground somewhere in the system.
Bad grounds are probably 90% of boating electrical wiring problems.
Normally, there is a removable cap on the deck so you can get to the sender.
Mine is under the center console.

callmaker
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
I agree check the ground wire

flounder_smacker
11-17-2009, 06:43 PM
how long did you store it for? id take the sender out of the tank and work it by hand to see if the gauge works. could be build up on the sender sensor and mught just need to be cleaned off.

Speck Attack
11-21-2009, 10:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago Ii took my boat out of storage to find the fuel gauge past empty. I knew I has half a tank when I stored it. Mt first thought was someone siphoned my gas. I put at least a 1/4 tank still did not move the gauge. Does anyone know how to check the sending unit to see if it is working?

Thanks

ConroeCajun

Did you get you gauge to work? A simple test to eliminate the gauage before moving on to the sending unit, there are two wire on the sending unit. The sending unit is a ground resistor (I think that is the right term), if you touch both wires together the gauge should read full. If it does not then the sending unit is the culprit. With the ethanol :pissed:in today fuel, it would not surprise me, that the sending unit is the problem.