PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda grass

PUREBAY2200
04-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Gonna b seeding my back yard with Bermuda grass soon, front has centipede from the contractor and 1/3 of back is also centipede but the back never really took and is horrible.
I have been using rye grass in the winter (seed in October ) past 2 years with great results.
But I want a good lawn for summer and that will hold up the high traffic with all the dogs.

My question is has anyone in here done this on a residential lawn.

I handle all the grass and field management for our high school football and baseball fields but that's a huge scale operation.

Just wondering if y'all have some tips for getting the seeds to take and how to help the grass survive.
I will b tilling up the entire back yard and adding sand , after I get it tilled up and sand mixed in ill start to slope yard for drainage and then level it off... It's not at all level now holds water bad and mower scalps a few spots.
The seeds will b spread first week of May. Weather permitting.
Thanks in advance.

-Chris

weedeater
04-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Plant what you want, centipede has my vote over Bermuda and carpet grass or Augastine have my vote over either since they are native, but you really need to do a soil test before planting any of it if you are having that much trouble or really any trouble at all so that you can correct your soil ph to grow grass that's healthy.

PUREBAY2200
04-13-2014, 08:42 PM
The issue with the current grass is that the contractor dumped all his crap in the yard including cement chunks , loads of red clay instead of top soil and sand that was supposed to b put under grass .

And the 2/3 that was not "sodded" is just wild grass and weeds.
I have the guy who does our ph testing for the high school Coming to do a ph test next week.

Thanks for the help.

I know there are other more sensible choices for residential grass but I have always wanted to try bermuda
So here goes.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BA1125
04-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Let me know what your ph level is & I can give you an idea of where to go. I just hydroseeded a yard w/ Bermuda 2 weeks ago, it's starting to come up very nice. Just be careful, if you plan to broadcast seed, choose a brand of seed that doesn't have a lot of fillers in the bag (look on the back of the bag & scan through the "ingredients", most have a high % of weed seed fillers). When we hydroseed we spray w/ 100% pure seed of the homeowners choice. If you have a shaded backyard, Bermuda will not grow very well, you'd be better off with carpet grass.

Feel free to give me a call, I will try and point you in the right direction...
337-794-3676
Brad

weedeater
04-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Brad is correct on grass with fillers, I buy my seed from local feed store not box store seeds...

PUREBAY2200
04-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Thanks brad, I plan on getting the seed from my local feed n seed store, lots of people have had success with them.

But I'll call u about the hydro seeding. I'm interested in more info and cost and how to prepare site.

My back yard is wide open
No trees within 500 yards

Zero shade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk