PDA

View Full Version : How Grows Yall GArdens??

Cappy
04-26-2014, 07:04 AM
How grows it yall? Camera crapped out so no p[ics this weekend but we picked our first bowl of snap beans, enough to smother down with a lil bacon onion and share our first fruit with a neighbor. In true Cajun fashion she returned our bowl with a slice of carrot cake in it. It's a neighborhood tradition that when ya return a dish ya put something in it. We are eating strawberries from our lil patch, few ever make it in the house cause we stop by several times A DAY GRAZING:) The Jap plums are ready for their first picking, the yum-yum nectarines are ping pong ball sized and the paw paws are still very small and still have flowers. I will try to pick up a new camera this weekend and get some pics but till then how goes it in yall's yard?

lil bubba
04-26-2014, 07:29 AM
sounds good cappy. thats the way it was when i come up. never return an empty bowl. my tomater's coming along , bell pepper and banana pepper start'n to set , pear tree full , blackberry gunna produce a good crop for the blackberry bounce. got no cherry so i make blackberry bounce, just as tasty. got egg plants get'n there and the cukes seem happy.

Goooh
04-26-2014, 07:50 AM
I haven't taken a pic since this, but corn, limas, tomatoe, lettuce, and some others are coming up nicely.

Matt G
04-26-2014, 08:19 AM
I'll get some pics when I get off of work this afternoon, but mine aren't looking too good. I may need some expert advice!

lil bubba
04-26-2014, 01:33 PM
CAPPY,,,,,where might i get a paw paw tree???????

AubreyLaHaye458
04-26-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm no big timer like y'all, but my tomato and cherry tomato are slap full of flowers. had an unfortunate accident with my original bell pepper plant that got snapped off at the ground but the new one is coming along nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goooh
04-26-2014, 06:16 PM

Coming along, can't wait to be filling salad bowls

Cappy
04-26-2014, 09:23 PM
http://www.gurneys.com/product/pawpaw
we also ordered yum yum tree from them

lil bubba
04-27-2014, 06:53 AM
thanks CAPPY.....i'm gunna have to try one out.

Cappy
04-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Try 2 dude just to be safe. Also remember when they first come out put bird netting on them. I said I would this year, forgot and now there is a precious few fruit remaining.

lil bubba
04-27-2014, 11:01 AM
I just looked and at the end of their selections it tells you whats out or out of season so i'll contact them monday. I got problem with blackbirds when my blackberries are just about finish and others when the figs come in . Thinking about getting one of them auto deer feeder motors and put a short piece of twine with some sticks to hit on some aluminum pie plates 4 or 6 times a day. My main problem is coons and i'm a mile away from nearest woods...people around me don't keep their yard clean and don't even realize they raising them.

simplepeddler
04-27-2014, 11:24 AM
There was a guy on craigslist posting paw-paw's in Livingston......
Couple you guys have a head start on me.....but I will get some pics up

Shawn Braquet
04-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Putting my garden in the ground today...better late than never

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

cduhon
04-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Raised beds with climbing fence. Cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, all peppers, watermelon.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

jlincecum
04-28-2014, 09:03 PM
checked on the corn I planted when I went to the farm yesterday. Most is coming up nicely, think I had some issues with the little planter.

AubreyLaHaye458
04-28-2014, 09:25 PM
What do I do about my tomater plants out growing my tomato cages? Do I just let them grow out onto the ground? Or is there another way to keep em kind of contained?

swamp snorkler
04-28-2014, 10:53 PM
What do I do about my tomater plants out growing my tomato cages? Do I just let them grow out onto the ground? Or is there another way to keep em kind of contained?

Let them grow or get another cage and stack it on top of the ones already in place. Use so.e bailing wire to tie the together.

BuckingFastard
04-29-2014, 06:42 AM
ate some of my wax peppers last night!

lil bubba
04-29-2014, 06:59 AM

I pole my tomato's and remove all suckers and after the fifth cluster of flowers top them off...I find vegetables too close or too many produce less ...

PaulMyers
05-04-2014, 05:40 AM
66872 Here is Jayden's garden. Tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, strawberries and parsley

BuckingFastard
05-04-2014, 06:14 AM
i have a question for the old folks... i planted my garden at the end of march, everything is growing and growing well... except one thing. the carrots i planted havent done anything. ive never planted carrots before but i figured id see some kind of sprout by now... am i wrong? ive already picked 5 full wax peppers and have tomatoes that will be ready very soon.

Cappy
05-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I am far from an expert gardener but I always plant carrots and beets and radishes and root stuff in the fall and it does good in winter. Surely ya aughta be seeing lil green shoots by now. Are ya watering? root stuff like damp soil, not wet. not dry. Is it possible your seeds were old or dead? Dont give up yet water it down with miricle grow or something and keep an eye on them. Gardening is alot like fishing and it aint all roses thATS WHAT MAKES SUCCESS all the better:)

Matt G
05-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Well I took a picture a few days ago with the intentions of uploading it on here to show what little growth I've had, but like most things it slipped my mind. I'm glad I took the picture though. After the rain today I came home and noticed that the plants were looking a lot better. I didn't realize how much better until I compared it to the picture I took a few days ago. I'm getting excited now.

Before the rain:

After the rain:

AubreyLaHaye458
05-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Wow! A lot of difference there!

paublo25
05-09-2014, 10:26 PM

My hydroponic garden, have peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, basil, and parsley.

AubreyLaHaye458
05-09-2014, 10:34 PM

My hydroponic garden, have peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, basil, and parsley.

You mind explaining how that works?

duckman1911
05-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Thats a heck of a difference Matt. A little bit of rain can really boost things.

Garfish
05-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Thats a heck of a difference Matt. A little bit of rain can really boost things.

Only bad thing about the rain here yesterday were the squalls that came w/ it. Wind wreaked havoc on my tomato plants as they are taking off and getting tall. Even though I tied em up, the high winds did some damage to some of the branches.

meaux fishing
05-10-2014, 08:41 AM
This isn't a garden, but it's amazing what a little rain will do. This is the same field pictures taken one week apart a few years ago during a drought.

duckman1911
05-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Only bad thing about the rain here yesterday were the squalls that came w/ it. Wind wreaked havoc on my tomato plants as they are taking off and getting tall. Even though I tied em up, the high winds did some damage to some of the branches.
Dang it man I hate to hear that.

Fishbum
05-11-2014, 09:17 AM
1 tbsp. miracle gro, 3 tbsp. Epsom salt to a gallon of water.
Doesn't get the sun it used too since the nearby tree's increased in size.
Micro soaker hose aids in water during hot weather.

AubreyLaHaye458
05-11-2014, 11:09 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]1 tbsp. miracle gro, 3 tbsp. Epsom salt to a gallon of water.

Does this help prevent blossom end rot?

lil bubba
05-11-2014, 11:21 AM
AUBREY,,,,,I used to get blossom end rot and since i started covering my row with 3 to 4 inches of leaves after i plant i haven't had it in nearly 20 years....coincidence maybe but it sure ain't hurting......And i don't rake leaves . Just wait for people to bag them for garbage to pick up and throw in back my truck. They do all the work.....

Cappy
05-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Right there with ya bubbba, I jsut opened 4 big lawn and leaf bags of oak leaves and mixed them with some horse manure(partialy composted) and filled our new 4x6 raised bed. I added half a wheel barrow full of n ight crawler infested compost and hope to check back this fall when it should be ready to recieve some fall salad greens etc. True the 2x12 lumber cost me a few bucks but it will last for years, and was free to fill. We also use the leaves someone else was nice enough to bag for us as mulch in other places

duckman1911
05-11-2014, 12:40 PM
AUBREY,,,,,I used to get blossom end rot and since i started covering my row with 3 to 4 inches of leaves after i plant i haven't had it in nearly 20 years....coincidence maybe but it sure ain't hurting......And i don't rake leaves . Just wait for people to bag them for garbage to pick up and throw in back my truck. They do all the work.....
X2 on this. I love it when people in the neighborhood behind our shop start doing their spring yard cleaning. Free and easy mulch.
I just got my stuff planted so I dont have anything to show off right now :(. The wifes medicinal herb beds are looking awesome though.

H2OFwlKlr
05-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Cappy, or any garden guru's, I think the spot in my garden were I plant my cucumbers is infected with photothium(sp) fungus or bacterial wilt. I do plant them in the same spot every year, lost 6 plants so far planted 3 plants twice, all wilted and died within a few days. Without moving spots, is there anything I can do to treat the soil to prevent this.

lil bubba
05-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Cappy, or any garden guru's, I think the spot in my garden were I plant my cucumbers is infected with photothium(sp) fungus or bacterial wilt. I do plant them in the same spot every year, lost 6 plants so far planted 3 plants twice, all wilted and died within a few days. Without moving spots, is there anything I can do to treat the soil to prevent this.

I have never heard of such a thing . Sounds like some kind of root eating thing. look up your county agent and he should be able to tell you what it is. If not contact LSU AG CENTER and they can probly help you. Only time i had plants wilt over was cut worms but that was mostly tomato's or corn. You might try drenching the area you plant them with anti bacterial dish liquid like pamolive . I spray my citrus trees with it weekly when necessary to get rid of the mites n flies that make that black sooty mold on the leaves. Works good on pepper plants too. 2 tablespoons to a gallon . thats cheap.

Goooh
05-11-2014, 02:48 PM
wifes medicinal herb beds are looking awesome though.

Say whuhhhh

duckman1911
05-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Say whuhhhh
Not that kind of medicinal herb.lol.
This bed has fever few, cat nip, echinacea, vervain, comfry, and lemon balm. I think there's one more but I cant remember the name. That's my wifes department. I just move the dirt and dig the holes where she tells me to.

Garfish
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
1 tbsp. miracle gro, 3 tbsp. Epsom salt to a gallon of water.
Doesn't get the sun it used too since the nearby tree's increased in size.
Micro soaker hose aids in water during hot weather.

Looking good. Your set up looks a lot like my beds in my yard.

Fishbum
05-13-2014, 12:54 PM
The mixture is good for all types of plants. Never experienced any blossom end rot. Check your soil p.h also. I add a little garden lime a few weeks before planting to keep p.h in check. Without correct p.h levels nutrient uptake limited. Try 1 teaspoon epsom salt mixed with 4 cups water in a spray bottle mist plants around every 10 days plants absorb it faster through leaves.

RAGINJROB
05-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Starting to grow.
10 tomato plants,
4 cucs
4 bell peppers
4 squash,
4 assorted peppers

duckman1911
05-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Nice looking boxes Rage. You fellas are making me jealous with how far ahead of us y'all are. Great looking stuff gents.

Cappy
05-14-2014, 11:35 AM
yesterday morning, I picked my bush bean plants outa the garden box put them in a wheel barrow and sat under the patio picking the last picking of beans, and shredding the plants into small pieces for the compost/worm bed. 36 contender bush bean plants put 13 over stuffed quart bags in the freezer and 3 cookings. Not a bad haul in our lil garden box. I weeded and fed the garden bed then planted some okra seeds I had kept from 2 years ago. Not sure they still good but time will tell.

simplepeddler
05-14-2014, 06:30 PM
my tomatoes are stalled out the gate it seems.......can I hit them with miracle grow while they are blooming?

lil bubba
05-14-2014, 06:39 PM
my tomatoes are stalled out the gate it seems.......can I hit them with miracle grow while they are blooming?

Watering with miracle grow shouldn't hurt but me personally i don't put any water on the plant itself . I figure it helps hold back the blight and fungus. Epsom salt is fairly cheap and provides magnesium and sulfer. Every other year i apply ironite from home depot which i find they love .

AubreyLaHaye458
05-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Creole tomatoes.

Husky Cherry tomatoes.

Green Bell Pepper plant.

Mystery pepper plant from seeds I was given from a guy at work.

simplepeddler
05-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I will have to hit the MG and epsom.......thanks!