PDA

View Full Version : Squash trouble

mnormand
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
What the heck is nipping off my tiny yellow squash? Birds? Squirrels? Got plenty of both. I was watching one little 1" squash closely everyday, then bam it's gone. Other than that, I don't have any others. Not too familiar with squash, should there be lots of little ones now? Or is it too early? The plants are getting pretty big. Have about 5-6 plants, there are some yellow flowers but they never seem to generate a squash.

Same thing last year, didn't make any.

I tried a game camera the other day, but didn't catch any violators. Not sure what's happening here....
:confused:

lil bubba
05-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I am no squash expert but as far as the flowers you have male and female flowers and the ones that have the lil squash on them is the females i think but you will have those with just a flower. If conditions aren't rite the lil squash will rot but i have never seen anything eat them. If you plant too early and the cold gets them then they may be stunted for life. For me last year was a bad year for a garden , just the weather i guess but my squash didn't do so good and eggplant was a bust. if they got hit by cold pull them up and put in some more seed , they'll germinate fast now and maybe do better....

mnormand
05-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Thx bubba, I did plant two more newer ones lately, so will have to see how they do.

Gerald
05-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Try this......It kept the squirrels from eating mine. Before I stapled the baggies, the squirrels were stealing all the peppers.....but only had this problem one year. And after few weeks, the squirrels left the peppers alone.

Cappy
05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
That baggie trick works till summer time. Let the temp get over 90 and ya veggies will steam and get soggy in the bags. See the drops in the picture?? Let the heat go up and you will have steamed peppers Trust me.... been there done that.

Gerald
05-14-2014, 12:16 PM
That baggie trick works till summer time. Let the temp get over 90 and ya veggies will steam and get soggy in the bags. See the drops in the picture?? Let the heat go up and you will have steamed peppers Trust me.... been there done that.

I cut small holes in some of the baggies to drain the water out. By the time it got really hot, I had quit using the baggies.

Fishbum
05-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Old window screen did the trick for me once wrap and clothes pin it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mnormand
05-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Lots of squirrels but they don't seem to bother the peppers. I planted more squash in buckets as a test. And gonna start trapping the squirrels soon..as things ripen just to be sure. Have quite a nice backyard garden going now, critter patrol about to be increased!