PDA

View Full Version : Seed Swap

duckman1911
06-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Anybody planting heirloom varieties? Thats all we plant and (under normal circumstances)we always have more seeds than we need for next years garden.
Maybe we could set up a seed swap or seed give away to get a new veggie or get someone started growing heirloom stuff and collecting their own seeds. Just a thought. I for one don't like relying on home depot, lowes, or the nursery to supply my plants. I like making my own.

keakar
06-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Anybody planting heirloom varieties? Thats all we plant and (under normal circumstances)we always have more seeds than we need for next years garden.
Maybe we could set up a seed swap or seed give away to get a new veggie or get someone started growing heirloom stuff and collecting their own seeds. Just a thought. I for one don't like relying on home depot, lowes, or the nursery to supply my plants. I like making my own.

ya know, that would make a good thread to have a seed making tutorial for rookies and those without gardening backgrounds to know stuff like that.

many people rely on store bought seeds because they just don't know how to do there own seeds

duckman1911
07-01-2014, 10:48 AM
ya know, that would make a good thread to have a seed making tutorial for rookies and those without gardening backgrounds to know stuff like that.

many people rely on store bought seeds because they just don't know how to do there own seeds
As I collect seeds i'll be posting what I have. Anyone interested can have some seeds. Your first year you only need a few of each variety to get you enough seeds to be able to plant all you want the following year. One mature zuchinni will yield more seeds than you'll know what to do with.lol.
Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) is a great place for about any heirloom seed you could think of. Their catalog is also full of helpful little tidbits.

Cappy
07-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I would be willing to trade or deal with you guys just I dont have anything at the moment. I have traded okra, jap plums, and a few flowers, so I'll start setting some aside for yall. Nothing at the monent though every thing is planted or gone.:grinpimp:

duckman1911
07-01-2014, 12:09 PM
I would be willing to trade or deal with you guys just I dont have anything at the moment. I have traded okra, jap plums, and a few flowers, so I'll start setting some aside for yall. Nothing at the monent though every thing is planted or gone.:grinpimp:
No biggy buddy. When I start collecting seeds and you want some just let me know. Dont worry about being able to trade. I like helping people get started with heirloom stuff. Anyone is welcome to extra seeds I have.
I find it really enjoyable to be able to reproduce each years garden myself. I also think the pure strain veggies have a better flavor than the geneticly modified hybrid stuff they push on us now days. Just my opinion though.

duckman1911
07-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Next year's squash in the making.

casmurf
07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I have been saving my seeds for a couple years now,mostly cucs and maters .never had much luck with peppers. very rewarding. I got my start from Annies Heirlooms.

duckman1911
07-02-2014, 02:18 PM
I have been saving my seeds for a couple years now,mostly cucs and maters .never had much luck with peppers. very rewarding. I got my start from Annies Heirlooms.
We got a really late start on our peppers this year. We raise gypsy and cayenne peppers. Im hoping they still do well despite our late start.

lil bubba
07-02-2014, 05:05 PM
I planted 2 variety's of cukes and the hybrid is shot but I saw in the baker creek site straight 8 is an heirloom cuke and thats the other I planted and it produced a lil later but I am still picking now. Picked 6 today off only 3 vines. I will deff. save seeds on this one. The hybrid is all but dead.

lil bubba
07-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Next year's squash in the making.

Man a piece of onion a slice of squash a shrimp a piece of bellpepper wrap in bacon and grill till bacon crispy..................slap yo mamma..............my squash didn't do nothin this year.........

duckman1911
07-02-2014, 11:40 PM
I planted 2 variety's of cukes and the hybrid is shot but I saw in the baker creek site straight 8 is an heirloom cuke and thats the other I planted and it produced a lil later but I am still picking now. Picked 6 today off only 3 vines. I will deff. save seeds on this one. The hybrid is all but dead.
You may know this already and if so maybe it will help others. Pick out 3-4 cukes on your heathiest vines and just let them grow and grow. You want the seeds to have time to fully mature. Cukes have a ton of seeds so 3-4 may seem like an over kill. We do that many so when we pick one and seed it we have some back ups incase the seeds aren't fully mature. You basically want to let it grow as long as possible. You want a nice plump seed. If its flat its trash.