PDA

View Full Version : How Goes The Gardens?

duckman1911
07-25-2014, 12:51 PM
It's getting kinda quite in here. How is everones veggies? Some of my stuff is playing out and some are just now getting cranked up. On my older stuff I'm more into seed collecting mode. How is your stuff doing?

MathGeek
07-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Ain't gotten a taste in the past week, but word is the tomatoes are great and the lettuce is still good. With the blast of heat, the peppers are starting to ripen.

AubreyLaHaye458
07-25-2014, 01:34 PM
My maters are starting to slow down. Don't think they've got much longer. But my pepper plants are growing nicely, still no peppers yet though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hightower
07-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Planted some tomatoes for the first time this year. They did really well up until about mid June. Have about 30 or so left on the vine but they really aren't getting any bigger. Guess the heat is burning them out??

bjhooper82
07-25-2014, 02:04 PM
My grandmother grows a ton of tomatoes every year but she said this year the stink bugs tore them up! Anybody else having this problem?

Hightower
07-25-2014, 02:14 PM
My grandmother grows a ton of tomatoes every year but she said this year the stink bugs tore them up! Anybody else having this problem?

My dad mentioned the same thing about his plants. I always noticed them on mine but they never really became a problem.

lil bubba
07-25-2014, 03:46 PM
I've got egg plants in containers.....the rest is shot.....fix'n to turn over for the fall crop.

duckman1911
07-25-2014, 07:14 PM
This (so far) has been a good year insect wise for our tomatoes. We usually have problems with those horned catepillars. Those devils can work over a plant in one day. Our tomatoes (despite a really late start) are looking better every day. The Arkansas Travelers do really well when its hot. Its a tasty and beautiful medium sized tomatoe.

duckman1911
07-25-2014, 07:17 PM
I've got egg plants in containers.....the rest is shot.....fix'n to turn over for the fall crop.
I'm planning my fall garden too bubba. Hoping for good cabage this year. Didn't do so well last year :(

lil bubba
07-25-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm planning my fall garden too bubba. Hoping for good cabage this year. Didn't do so well last year :(

My cabbage wasn't much last year either. Cauliflower done good. Beets were horrible. Going to go with some turnip and mustard this year. My gone granny used to make turnip and mustard green with pork chop and it look like only way i'm going to get it again is to do it myself. That stuff eat good on a cold winter day.

jchief
07-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Freaking stink bugs are terrible this year. My garden is about done. Didn't do very well.

duckman1911
07-25-2014, 08:52 PM
My cabbage wasn't much last year either. Cauliflower done good. Beets were horrible. Going to go with some turnip and mustard this year. My gone granny used to make turnip and mustard green with pork chop and it look like only way i'm going to get it again is to do it myself. That stuff eat good on a cold winter day.
Mustards are a necessity around here. Mustards, corn bread, squirrel n tomatoe gravy, and a Saints game.
Never done califlower but I love it. Did broccoli fall before last and it got so warm my heads would flower before they were big enough to harvest.

Cappy
07-26-2014, 01:03 PM
It has been a great spring. Cucs are finishing up snap beans long in the freezer, and the Okra that replaced it is really taking off. CAnned lots of stuff. around 25 qts of pickles so very few cucs next year if any. Put up over 30 qtsw of tomatoes 20 pints of corn, and fruit as well. more later with pictures hopefully, kinda busy now BBQing for a friends daughters graduation party. Sure is hot today.

Cappy
07-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Oh, and on the figgy front we have 3 2gallon bags of figs in the freezer awaiting canning.:D

lil bubba
07-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Oh, and on the figgy front we have 3 2gallon bags of figs in the freezer awaiting canning.:D

Man my figs only coming in like 10 or 12 a day and the birds eating 9 to 11 a day. I have been picking figs at lest 40 of my years and never saw this.

duckman1911
07-27-2014, 07:08 AM
It has been a great spring. Cucs are finishing up snap beans long in the freezer, and the Okra that replaced it is really taking off. CAnned lots of stuff. around 25 qts of pickles so very few cucs next year if any. Put up over 30 qtsw of tomatoes 20 pints of corn, and fruit as well. more later with pictures hopefully, kinda busy now BBQing for a friends daughters graduation party. Sure is hot today.
Good for you buddy :)

lil bubba
07-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Eggplant in 15 gallon container , best i ever had , above 90 and still growing and producing. Them things are 5' 8" tall....Picked a gallon of banana peppers last weekend growing in a 5 gallon bucket , loaded again.....Tomato's still put'n on in container. Makes me want to grow everything in containers.....

duckman1911
07-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Bubba that looks fine. That banana pepper bush is loaded. We have started doing more and more containers every year. So much easy to maintain and the yield per plant is better. A container garden that can be babied and talked to will produce (per plant) far better than something planted in the back 40.
Yes I said talked to.

lil bubba
07-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Bubba that looks fine. That banana pepper bush is loaded. We have started doing more and more containers every year. So much easy to maintain and the yield per plant is better. A container garden that can be babied and talked to will produce (per plant) far better than something planted in the back 40.
Yes I said talked to.

Ha ha ha ,,,,,I have more than my share of old crow or jim beam but i never talk to my plants......Now I have been known to tell the bugs how i feel before i squish them,,,,,ha ha ha........

duckman1911
07-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Maybe im just weird bubba. I love to go out in the evenings and talk to and touch my plants. I love the way tomatoe plants smell after you touch them.