09-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Anyone have one and opinion?
I'm replacing a gas water heater.

fishinpox
09-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Norwitz

Matt G
09-04-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm kind of curious about this as well. I'm in the process of adding on a master suite and have been considering a tankless water heater due to limited attic space. Unfortunately I do not have gas, so it would have to be an electric heater.

pricecb
09-04-2014, 09:58 PM
So far what I've seen online it may not be worth it. Return on investment to long, maintenance, and warranties.
Those are opinions I've found but no actual customer reviews.

calcutta37
09-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Good for your boat dock. Have hot water to clean your boat after you hammer the fish.

pricecb
09-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Once I get a boat doc I'll consider it.

B-Stealth
09-04-2014, 10:59 PM
I will have one in the new house, with hot H20 plumbed to the faucet outside the garage and back porch. I will also have a filter dedicated to the heater.
Gotta keep the H20 "clean" to minimize scaling.

cajunforeman
09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
I put one in my new home we're buliding now. I've heard good things but you always hear bad things too. I'm anxious to see for myself

Natural Light Kid
09-05-2014, 11:52 PM
When we built 3.5 years ago, my plumber said the electric ones were no go at that time. I would be curious how they are now. I'm going add another heater soon and would like to know before I do.

Matt G
09-06-2014, 06:14 AM
When we built 3.5 years ago, my plumber said the electric ones were no go at that time. I would be curious how they are now. I'm going add another heater soon and would like to know before I do.

That's what I'm wondering as well. I was always told the electric models are junk. You would think that there would be significant improvements after several years. Between all the consumer reviews and articles I've read on them recently, it seems like a crap shoot. They could be great, or they could be a nightmare.

fishinpox
09-06-2014, 07:44 AM
I put tankless gas heaters in every house I build , I use the brand norwitz.
I use the 11 series mostly. One time I turned on 25 hot fixtures ( sinks , tubs, showers, etc) ran them for an hour straight just to see what happened . Never lost heat under 120 degrees from any of the fixtures . So of the flow became slightly restricted once all 25 were on but like I said never lost temp . Try that with a tank heater ... Not happening . Also the heater is not on constantly heating a tank . In some areas you may need to install filters / water softener in order to not void a warranty , this is not the case in Baton Rouge but I'd check your area . The guidelines are posted online for each brand heater . I try to centralize the location of the heater so it does not take long for hot water to reach each fixture but its important to be close to the laundry room if you have a High Efficency washer and use the hot cycle while washing . These new washers don't fill up with water they give very short bursts of water so a long run from the heater to the laundry results in that 1st or second "burst" not being heated water it is water that was in the line between the washer and backside of the Heater .

fishinpox
09-06-2014, 07:45 AM
I have no experience with electric tankless units only used gas fired

Madonk
09-07-2014, 01:58 AM
My dad had rent houses for years and replaced his tanks with the tankless. He told me when I bought my first house that electric ones are just too expensive to run. As long as you are putting gas in you wont have a problem.

Big Flounder
09-07-2014, 07:19 PM
I have a gas tankless in my house. Love it!

jchief
09-08-2014, 07:12 AM
How much do they cost? Worth replacing current gas water heater with one?

pricecb
09-08-2014, 10:19 AM
From what Ive seen 850-2k+.