PDA

View Full Version : Gumbo Cookoff????

duckman1911
09-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Been a lot of roux talk lately. Y'all wana go head to head and raise some charity $ at the same time? Weekend split of duck season maybe? Anyone interested?

Big pond
09-17-2014, 07:20 PM
I'll volunteer to judge

MathGeek
09-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Sounds awesome. I almost crashed your party the other day when you posted the pork. I'd love to have a chance to taste a bunch of gumbo after reading the roux thread.

Goooh
09-17-2014, 11:58 PM
No jarred roux allowed

swamp snorkler
09-18-2014, 06:21 AM
http://2damnfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Very-Interested-Walrus-Puts-Its-Game-Face-On.gif

Me and my BIL and FIL cooked in a gumbo cookoff for church once. We came out second behind the KC's, the KC's were the judges so figure that out!

duckman1911
09-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Sounds awesome. I almost crashed your party the other day when you posted the pork. I'd love to have a chance to taste a bunch of gumbo after reading the roux thread.
Everyone is welcome any time there is smoke coming out of the pit :)

duckman1911
09-18-2014, 06:52 AM
No jarred roux allowed
X2... Was also thinking no seafood gumbos. Duck or chicken gumbos and must be cooked on site.

duckman1911
09-18-2014, 07:08 AM
If anyone has some connections and could get a business to let us set up there it would be great. Good pr for them and would have a flow of people to buy the gumbo. I know that the radio stations up here will give free advertisement for not for profit fund raiser events. Anyone know if the stations around LC does the same?
Just throwing out some ideas to see what y'all think.

ckinchen
09-18-2014, 07:11 AM
I don't have time to do another chairty event this year but if you guys want to do it without asking our sponsors for help (we only bother them once a year) I do not have a problem with it. Keep me posted please.

duckman1911
09-18-2014, 08:24 AM
I don't have time to do another chairty event this year but if you guys want to do it without asking our sponsors for help (we only bother them once a year) I do not have a problem with it. Keep me posted please.
Thanks Casey. Just thought it would be fun for the guys.

mr crab
09-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Prolly get more participation (cooks & eaters)after duck &deer seasons close

mr crab
09-18-2014, 09:37 AM
A good format is to charge a flat entry fee. Each entrant gets three tickets when they walk in. Once they are in, they can taste much gumbo as they want from the teams. They put their tickets in cans at the cook sites of their favorite gumbos. At the end of the day, each team turns in their cans, the tickets are counted and the teams with the most tickets are given recognition. Of course extra tickets would be available for sale. Not exactly fair, but this format maximizes the money raised

mr crab
09-18-2014, 09:44 AM
We go to the rodeo uncorked and best bites cometition at the houston livestock show. This is their format. It is a very prestigious award. Some killer food and wine at that shin dig too. The best chefs in houston put together the best one bite dish they can, and the people at the party drop beads into vases at their cook stations. The bribery involved is hilarious

mr crab
09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Just lemme know, cuz Imma stuff and smoke a batch of homemade sausage e for my gumbo just to give me a little edge.

duckman1911
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
A good format is to charge a flat entry fee. Each entrant gets three tickets when they walk in. Once they are in, they can taste much gumbo as they want from the teams. They put their tickets in cans at the cook sites of their favorite gumbos. At the end of the day, each team turns in their cans, the tickets are counted and the teams with the most tickets are given recognition. Of course extra tickets would be available for sale. Not exactly fair, but this format maximizes the money raised
I like this. When I did the red cross cook off we sold tickets for a buck each. A ticket got you a cup of gumbo. Had people that would try every single gumbo. Some people would bring a bowl and load up on their favorite gumbo. A bowl was five bucks. It was great fun.
$20 entry fee for competitors sound fair?

mr crab
09-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Where would be the best place? I vote for laffy area.

duckman1911
09-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Where would be the best place? I vote for laffy area.
Kinda my thoughts too. Anone have a business or know someone with a business in that area that would let us set up in the parking lot or on their walkway on a Saturday?
Need three anonymous judges also. Anyone that doesnt want to cook willing to pick the judges? Potential judges could pm that person.

mr crab
09-18-2014, 06:21 PM
I say let ALL the eaters be the judges. Charge a certain amount for tasting, and give everybody that buys tastes a way to vote for their favorites. I also like the idea of $1 a cup. give em a ticket to vote with for every 3 cups they purchase. Cook team with the most tickets at the end of the day wins