PDA

View Full Version : How do redfish boil crawfish?

drjay
05-26-2009, 09:12 PM
So, my bro-in-law and I decided to do a little night fishing on 5/24........decent falling tide around midnight. We are screwing around on the flats near Haymark and the baitfish are just going crazy in 1 ft of water. Fish were rolling all over the place. We threw every piece of plastic in the box but could only manage to boat 2 nice reds. We finally get bored and decided to head back to Prien a little after midnight. Before we head home, we decide to scope out the north bank near a small wharf where the bait is popping. We end up catching about 25 reds from 15-22 inches; release most of 'em and keep a few to throw in the grease. Well, bro-in-law proceeds to clean the fish (because I'm conveniently on the road back to Texas and didn't have time to do the dirty work), and he feels something hard in their stomach. So, he cuts them open and they are full of bright red boiled crawfish shells.

I thought it was pretty crazy. Didn't know reds liked boiled crawfish. Guess I'm gonna save some trash after my next crawfish boil for chum next time I want some reds.

Salty
05-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I've heard 'em called dumb but never finicky. :)

dbarham
05-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Ole boy over here catches em on chicken wings and pickles

txjoker
05-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Sounds like someone dumped the previous night's catch and the redfish were feeding on the remains

coachlaw
05-26-2009, 11:51 PM
The know what good is. :D

SULPHITE
05-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I've heard of people chumming with boiled crawfish shells to catch reds...