PDA

View Full Version : New To Gardening

Duffy.yyz
01-15-2015, 04:32 PM
I sure wish I had my grandfathers green thumb. That man had a beautiful garden that I can remember working in when I was little. The best part was that he never ate his own crop. He enjoyed giving it away more than anything.

My wife and I just bought a house and I am interested in forming up a couple of rows with 2x12's and planting a few things. When would be the best time to plant a garden. Peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes etc...

lil bubba
01-15-2015, 05:54 PM
I take a chance and plant tomato's early. Cuke's I find better off planting seeds directly in ground end of march , Squash also. Peppers mid march. Egg plant transplant end of march. This is in southeast La....

Pat Babaz
01-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Print this guide out from LSU ag, it will tell you everything you need to know. Also get you an almanac and plant when it says to. Good luck

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/7E854F3A-656E-4A89-8A23-37A70AE43723/85493/Pub1980VegetablePlantingGuide2012HIGHRES.pdf

saute86
01-15-2015, 11:17 PM
I keep a garden year round. These pics are 2 months old I will take a few updated pics tomorrow. I put a 5ft fence around the garden to keep the dogs out and to use as a trellis for cuccs and beans. I put an a frame across the center and it converts into a green house on the cold days and nights. With a small space heater I was able to keep the temp at 45 when it was in the 20's. Right now I have 7 types of lettuce, carrots, turnips, mustard greens, broccoli, cabbage, sugar snaps, snow peas, spinach, and Swiss chard.

saute86
01-16-2015, 12:02 AM
I go by the LSU guide and this one. I also plant on the new moon. Its called planting by the moon. By the time the plants germinate and come out of the ground it is at half moon. My grandfather planted this way. He said the increasing light and gravitational pull from the moon helps the plants in the early stages of growth.

swamp snorkler
01-16-2015, 07:19 AM
I sure wish I had my grandfathers green thumb. That man had a beautiful garden that I can remember working in when I was little. The best part was that he never ate his own crop. He enjoyed giving it away more than anything.

My wife and I just bought a house and I am interested in forming up a couple of rows with 2x12's and planting a few things. When would be the best time to plant a garden. Peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes etc...

Scratch that idea and use cinder blocks. You can use the holes to plant herbs and what not and it last longer. If you decide build it with 2x12s and decide you dont want a garden anymore you have a wasted 2x12', if you build it with cinder blocks you can hose them off and build a smoke house.

swamp snorkler
01-16-2015, 07:22 AM
I go by the LSU guide and this one. I also plant on the new moon. Its called planting by the moon. By the time the plants germinate and come out of the ground it is at half moon. My grandfather planted this way. He said the increasing light and gravitational pull from the moon helps the plants in the early stages of growth.

Here's the list cleaned up a little so you can look at it if your on a phone.

Vegetables to Plant in January:
beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery*, Chinese cabbage, collards, eggplant**, English and snow peas, Irish potatoes***, kale, kohlrabi, leeks*, lettuce, mustard, onions*, peppers**, radish, rutabaga, shallots*, snow peas, spinach, Swiss chard, tomatoes** and turnips.
* use sets, or transplants; ** plant seeds in hot beds or greenhouses; *** plant seed pieces
Vegetables to Plant in February
beets, broccoli*, cabbage*, carrots, cauliflower*,collards, corn**, Swiss chard, eggplant***, Irish potatoes*, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard, peppers***, radish, rutabagas, snap beans**, shallots, tomatoes***, turnips
* plant transplants or seed pieces; ** plant in late February in south La.; *** sow seeds in hot beds or greenhouses
Vegetables to Plant in March
cantaloupe, collards, corn, cucumbers, cucuzzi, eggplant*, kohlrabi*, lima beans, mirliton**, mustard, peppers*, pumpkin, radish, snap beans, Southern peas, summer squash, Swiss chard, tomatoes*, watermelons, winter squash
* plant transplants in mid to late March; ** plant the entire fruit with the sprouted end in the soil about 3 inches deep
Vegetables to Plant in April
cantaloupe, collards, corn, cucumber, cucuzzi, cushaw, eggplant*, honeydew, lima beans, luffa, Malabar spinach, mirliton (plant sprouted fruit), okra, peppers*, pumpkin, snap beans, Southern peas, squashes, sweet potato (rooted cuttings known as Aslips@), Swiss chard, tomato, watermelon
Vegetables to Plant in May:
collards, cucuzzi, eggplant, hot pepper, luffa, mirliton (plant sprouted fruit), okra, peanut, pumpkin, Southern peas, squash, sweet potato (use slips), heat tolerant tomatoes.
Due to heat and pest problems, the following vegetables are generally not as productive planted this late. Plant in early May:
corn, cucumber, lima bean, snap bean, Swiss chard
Vegetables to Plant in June
cantaloupe, collards, cucuzzi, eggplant, luffa, okra, peanuts, hot peppers, pumpkin, Southern peas, sweet potato (slips), Swiss chard, watermelons, heat tolerant tomatoes. Although squash and cucumbers can be planted in June and July, production is difficult during mid summer due to pest problems. In late June you can plant seeds of tomatoes, bell peppers and eggplant for fall transplant production.
Vegetables to Plant in July
broccoli*, Brussels sprouts*, cabbage*, cantaloupe, cauliflower*, Chinese cabbage*, collards, cucumbers, luffa, okra, peppers*, pumpkins, Southern peas, shallots, squashes, tomatoes*, watermelons
* plant seeds for transplants
Vegetables to Plant in August
bell pepper*, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bunching onions**, cabbage, cauliflower, Swiss chard, Chinese cabbage, collards, cucumbers, lima beans, mustard, snap beans, Southern peas, peppers*, Irish potatoes, ***rutabagas, shallots**, squashes, tomatoes*, turnips
* transplants; ** sets; *** plant small, whole potatoes saved from the spring crop
Vegetables to Plant in September
beets, Brussels sprouts, broccoli*, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower*, Chinese cabbage, collards, English and snow peas, Irish potato***kale, kohlrabi, leek, lettuce, mustard, onion, radish, rutabagas, shallots**, snap beans, Swiss chard, turnips
* plant seeds early or use transplants; ** plant sets; *** plant small, whole potatoes saved from the spring crop
Vegetables to Plant in October
beets, broccoli*, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower*, celery, Chinese cabbage, collards, garlic**, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce***, leeks, mustard, onions, radishes, shallots, Swiss chard
* plant transplants by mid month; ** plant individual toes; *** leaf and semi-heading varieties are more reliable than heading types
Vegetables to Plant in November
beets, cabbage, carrots, celery, collards, garlic, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mustard, onions, radishes, rutabaga, shallots, spinach, Swiss chard, turnips
Vegetables to Plant in December
beets, Brussels sprouts*, cabbage, carrots, celery*, Chinese cabbage, collards, garlic*, kale, kohlrabi, leeks**, lettuce, mustard, onions**, radish, rutabaga, shallots**, spinach, Swiss chard, turnips
* plant transplants; ** plant sets or transplants
Prepared by: Dan Gill, Consumer Horticulturist, LSU AgCenter

Cappy
01-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Look up square foot gardening. since we live in soggy conditions your idea with 2x12s or the sugested cinder blocks is a good one. Instead of making rows make 4 ft wide raised beds and plant them flat like a grid. with good soil and watering avery once and awhile with liquid fertilizer you can grow as many as 4 bush beans per square foot. Also it helps to drive a nail every 12 inches and string ya garden with the cross line twine we all have laying around. Weeding is almost non existant, and the yield is greatly multiplied with this style.

lil bubba
01-19-2015, 04:10 PM
I just got back from home depot . They got some lil tom. plants in , $ 3.98 for one plant. I sure hope my lil seedlings keep growing.

simplepeddler
01-19-2015, 10:20 PM
it's a good chance your grandfather did not have "green mad skills'" when he first started as well.

Good for you to carry on!

I plant a small few beds now, but when I retire I plan on a real garden

Duffy.yyz
01-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Thank you all for the help! It is greatly appreciated.