PDA

View Full Version : out board motor work

fishmaster911
12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
does any one know of someone who works on motor carbs. i need some fine tuning on the jets? 90 hp merc.

Ray
12-08-2009, 08:10 PM
You mean changing the jets?

jpeff31787
12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
hey man i don't work on them but my cousin is an EXCELLENT mechanic. He is the mechanic at Bayou Marine in Ville Platte. He does all the work for our boat. I would tell you that you could probably bring it to his house for him to fix, but i think he stops that during hunting season. PM me if you need any directions to Bayou Marine

fishmaster911
12-08-2009, 09:45 PM
hey ray. i don't know much about outboard motors.i talked told someone what it was doing and said the jets needed to be adjusted. can u adjusted them? my motor runs great while im on the gas. lets say i pulling up to a dock, i idle to the dock. when i get there, i take it out of gear and let run a few seconds later it dies. after that happens i have to hight idle it to start. do u know could be wrong?

Raymond
12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Redmond's on Gen Mutton have done motor work for me and i trust them to shoot straight.

flounder_smacker
12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
call geremy waltrip he is the best mechanic i know and knows alot about boats.

"W"
12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
call geremy waltrip he is the best mechanic i know and knows alot about boats.

This will keep you around long;)

Ray
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
The carbs probably just need cleaning or a new set of plugs.
Has the motor set up for a long time before cranking?

fishmaster911
12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
It might need a cleaning. I changed my plugs not that long ago. I use my boat every other weekend unless I go kayak fishing and don't happen often. What do u think about running some sort of carb cleaner/fuel treatment ?

flounder_smacker
12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by "W" http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/images/purple/viewpost.gif
And this if coming for someone who had been fishing and running boats how long???? Thanks but No thanks!!! Dude I forgot more about boats and running boats than you have spent time on the water tying to learn about boats!!!

im seriously trying to help him out. if you know stuff about boats why not help out?

flounder_smacker
12-09-2009, 05:44 PM
This will keep you around long;)

lol sad sad sad. as long as i play by the rules i stay. you have no pull so dont try to act tough.

Ray
12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Carb cleaner might work, but I never had any luck with that.
You need to run some kind of fuel stabilizer in your tank on
each fill up. That will prevent a lot of problems with the fuel
system.
If you have never worked on a carb., I would pay the $$$ and
take it to a professional. Then they could check out the whole
motor.

fishmaster911
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Carb cleaner might work, but I never had any luck with that.
You need to run some kind of fuel stabilizer in your tank on
each fill up. That will prevent a lot of problems with the fuel
system.
If you have never worked on a carb., I would pay the $$$ and
take it to a professional. Then they could check out the whole
motor.
i think thats what im gonna do just to be on the safe side ! thanks ray

flounder_smacker
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
before you bring it in try sea foam. thats really the only thing that will dissolve the gum that is blocking your jets. mix it more than it says on the bottle to get a more concentrated amount, it wont hurt your motor. taking a carb down and cleaning it is not that big of a deal. its just dissembling,cleaning and putting every thing back together. you can try it first and if you cant put it back together any outboard mechanic should be able to put it back together if you bring him all the parts you took off. if you are ever around the lafayette/youngsville area i could take a look at it for no charge.

fishmaster911
12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
before you bring it in try sea foam. thats really the only thing that will dissolve the gum that is blocking your jets. mix it more than it says on the bottle to get a more concentrated amount, it wont hurt your motor. taking a carb down and cleaning it is not that big of a deal. its just dissembling,cleaning and putting every thing back together. you can try it first and if you cant put it back together any outboard mechanic should be able to put it back together if you bring him all the parts you took off. if you are ever around the lafayette/youngsville area i could take a look at it for no charge.

im not taking shi_ apart! im gonna try sea foam for sure! if one day i need u to look at it im not far from ya. upper lafayette

Gerald
12-09-2009, 10:35 PM

I have never used Sea Foam......but I have seen post on other sites where people use it on a regular basis. You can get it a Walmart for $ 10. I think I remember one can will treat ~ 25 gallons.

Montauk17
12-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Sea Foam is some good stuff,but if you have alot of water and/or trash in the carb bowl it will not pass into the main jet. The carbs will probably need to be taken apart and soaked in a carb dip and put back together with new gaskets and possibly new inlet needle and seat.

Ray
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
You can drain the water. Most carbs have a drain screw on the bottom of the bowl.