PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself bed liner

Bacon
12-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Has anyone ever attemted one of the "do it yourself" bedliner kits? Is it worth the hassle or should I just drop the cash on a professional job?

yak'em-n-stack'em
12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
get the duraliner stuff from walmart, and order a gun for it, i did 2 of my trucks in the past, works great

the more you prep the better it sticks

LaAngler
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
line X especially on a nice truck

wtretrievers
12-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I did the inside of a boat for 1/4 the cost if I would have taken it somewhere. Call around to some of the (auto)paint distributers in your area. The gun came with mine. Fixing to do a truck bed when I get time. Not hard at all. Just make sure you prep it good.

meaux fishing
12-11-2009, 02:57 PM
make sure to put it on thick or several coats cause it will scrape up... the spray gun is necessary...also make sure you use a big enough air compressor to get good constant flow...make sure you do it in a heated shop or when its warm otherwise it will take forever to dry

southern151
12-12-2009, 07:43 PM
The prep is the key in this. I used to do bedliners in my dad's shop. I now own a shop and we don't do em because they are a pain! You really need a dual action sander (DA) and plenty of 80 grit sandpaper for it. You also need red scotchbrite. 3M makes a good scotchbrite. Consult a professional and remember, you get what you pay for. If these things were as easy as Sunday morning, there wouldn't be any businesses that specialize in it and making money.

Like Meaux said, a compressor that can keep up is critical. Also, if something goes wrong, you need to know what to do. You may find it's cheaper to pay someone than it is to buy the correct equipment and materials to do it yourself.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll give you my cell number. I'll tell you what all you need to do the job. I can get the stuff you need to do it and would even sell you what you need to do it at my cost.

Let Me Know and Good Luck,
Corey

Bacon
12-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think I will save up and get a pro to do it.