PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out what boat to buy

ratfusion
05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Heres the situation and what I'd like to find. I'm in lake charles, and want to fish a little of everything to keep it interesting. My background: not new to fishing or boating, but not terribly experienced at either and I've never owned a powered boat.

I'm primarily interested in the catching something to cook aspect of fishing. To me that means crabbing and shrimping is nearly as important as landing reds and specks. I'm not as worried about performance as utility. Secondary concerns are the capacity to take 4 people out on occasion, the price, max wet weight of 5000lb, and being able to fish backwaters/ less fished areas.

From what I've learned so far I should be looking at two different types of boats, bay boats and flat aluminum boats. I'd like to stick to used but still safe/won't strand me. From what I can tell/guess 5-10yr old boats should be the best fit.

So with all of that in mind I'm looking at 18-22' bay boats which seem to run 5-15k in the age range, and I'd like to stick in the lower half of that. The advantages (again my learning on-the-fly guess) are being able to handle ugly weather on big lake and the ability to wander out in the gulf a little (different fish to cook).

The second choice, a 16-20' jon, can get me into Lacassine if Im under 25hp, is easier to haul around, and provides me better access to backwaters. The downfalls are no capacity for 4 people, and no big lake on windy days. Ideally I'd like to stick in the 3-5k range for these.

So with all of that please correct me where I'm wrong or missing something, and if I'm missing a third option please let me know. I have a fair idea of where to fish and crab, but I've never shrimped before and would love insight into that. Also if you've seen the perfect boat for sale, please point me in that direction.

Thanks for the help!

Salty
05-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Heres the situation and what I'd like to find. I'm in lake charles, and want to fish a little of everything to keep it interesting. My background: not new to fishing or boating, but not terribly experienced at either and I've never owned a powered boat.

I'm primarily interested in the catching something to cook aspect of fishing. To me that means crabbing and shrimping is nearly as important as landing reds and specks. I'm not as worried about performance as utility. Secondary concerns are the capacity to take 4 people out on occasion, the price, max wet weight of 5000lb, and being able to fish backwaters/ less fished areas.

From what I've learned so far I should be looking at two different types of boats, bay boats and flat aluminum boats. I'd like to stick to used but still safe/won't strand me. From what I can tell/guess 5-10yr old boats should be the best fit.

So with all of that in mind I'm looking at 18-22' bay boats which seem to run 5-15k in the age range, and I'd like to stick in the lower half of that. The advantages (again my learning on-the-fly guess) are being able to handle ugly weather on big lake and the ability to wander out in the gulf a little (different fish to cook).

The second choice, a 16-20' jon, can get me into Lacassine if Im under 25hp, is easier to haul around, and provides me better access to backwaters. The downfalls are no capacity for 4 people, and no big lake on windy days. Ideally I'd like to stick in the 3-5k range for these.

So with all of that please correct me where I'm wrong or missing something, and if I'm missing a third option please let me know. I have a fair idea of where to fish and crab, but I've never shrimped before and would love insight into that. Also if you've seen the perfect boat for sale, please point me in that direction.

Thanks for the help!

I doubt that will be an issue.

LaAngler
05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
this should get good......

there are options in your price range, but if you've never owned this size boat before, you don't want something your constantly working on and pouring cash into.

ratfusion
05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
this should get good......

there are options in your price range, but if you've never owned this size boat before, you don't want something your constantly working on and pouring cash into.

I'm open to the suggestion that its a bad idea and I need to spend more, or look for less. I just ask that its explained why.

youmyboyblue
05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I friend of mine has 22' Center console xpress for sale. I have fished with him in large bays, lakes but also bass fished in grass ponds with 1' of water. Could be a great fit for you. I know it is fairly new and know it has a Yamaha on it. Let me know if your interested and I will get you in touch with him.

LaAngler
05-28-2009, 10:48 PM
my first thought is to suggest that you go with your second option first, a small boat, until you get a feel for what type of fishing you'll be doing most, we need to figure out what you are gonna do in this boat 80% of the time.

if that is fish big lake, then it would make more sense to move up to a v hull, only problem is if you get an 18, you'll just want a 22 within a year.

this is a tough one.......

keep in mind that during the summer and fall you can catch all the reds and specks you want without ever going into big lake.

ratfusion
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
keep in mind that during the summer and fall you can catch all the reds and specks you want without ever going into big lake.

Thats what I've had to learn fishing from shore. I'd like to be able to get back into those spots with a boat too, since I'm more familiar with fishing those.

LaAngler
05-28-2009, 11:09 PM
alright hope you like her, this is what you need......:redface:

or something like it....40 hours, under warranty, not a 22 but will be much easier on fuel........

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-BLAZER-BOATS-INC-1860-BAY-95092407

Hebert
05-28-2009, 11:21 PM

where would that be? i'll need to find this place with my jon boat lol

ratfusion..how about a nice used 21ft carolina skiff DLV???

ratfusion
05-28-2009, 11:23 PM
alright hope you like her, this is what you need......:redface:

or something like it....40 hours, under warranty, not a 22 but will be much easier on fuel........

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-BLAZER-BOATS-INC-1860-BAY-95092407

I looked at something like that but a 2000, for 9k. I'm still stumped as to where the sweet spot for reliability vs depreciation is. Whats my target age range for value without major worries about reliability?

I had another potentially useful thought as well, I'd rather stick on the cheaper side of things this summer, and look at spending in that price range in the winter or next year. I'm assuming I'll eventually want both types of boat anyhow. My biggest problem with a jon boat is not being able to take friends, maybe something that could handle 3 people would be a good stop-gap.

Hopedale Hustler
05-29-2009, 12:43 AM
ill sell u a 19 foot jon boat with a 40 on it..

flounder_smacker
05-29-2009, 12:51 AM
cant beat the boat. has your length for big water and the tunnel will let you run shallow when needed. plus it has a yamahama
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-BLUE-WAVE-220-Classic-95085353

flounder_smacker
05-29-2009, 12:55 AM
also this boat is pretty much a steal. with the ox66 and the accessories it has on it its well worth the money.http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Century-2101-Bay-Boat-10956140

LaAngler
05-29-2009, 08:52 AM
problem with getting a flat boat these days is the lack of good tiller engines, the 3 cylinder short shaft 2 stroke merc/tohatsu/yammy 40's and 25's are gone. might keep an eye out in the thrifty nickel and american press for one of these type of rigs.

SULPHITE
05-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Start with a flats boat (jon) get used to the boat, you can pick your days on big lake...then you can figure out what you want in a bay boat later...spend cheap right now and buy expensive later...then you'll have both boats available.

ratfusion
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Start with a flats boat (jon) get used to the boat, you can pick your days on big lake...then you can figure out what you want in a bay boat later...spend cheap right now and buy expensive later...then you'll have both boats available.

Thats what I'm leaning towards right now. Seems that for everything I want to do I'll need both boats eventually.

bigdog
05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Just don't tell the Wife/Girlfriend the plan, I did it the same way i have a 14 Jon boat with a 40 , 19 foot with 150 hp and Now a 37 foot 1964 Chris Craft. She said "No more boats, Are you will be sleeping in it", that why I bought the Chris Craft:smokin:.

huntin fool
05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
ratfusion..i have the perfect boat (my dad does) for you!

Its a 17 ft aluminum boat with a steering console, with a 50 yamaha.

this boat is a G3 coastal, which means that its rigged for saltwater (heavy wire, trolling motor) This boat has been used maybe 15-20 times MAX! its 2 years old and in like new shape!! You can basically use it for freshwater/saltwater, we use it for big lake. It is in the shape of like a bass boat, but is for saltwater! Email me at X1riverrat05@aol.com for details/pics/price.
It's a semi V aluminum boat, Yamaha made the boat, but they have quit making them now.
thanks!

SULPHITE
05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice pitch....Fool you gettin any commission???:D Sounds like a good starter rig though!

huntin fool
05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
its an awesome boat! i started with it...but some how i got down sized? hmm.

i could sell a glass of ice cold water to an eskamoo..lol!

but yes its an awesome boat!

it has - depth finder,live well,built in seat icechest,2 stoarge things, rod box, and a minn kota rip tide (55 i think)

ratfusion
05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks fool, I sent you an email.

Natural Light Kid
05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
i can offer a little experience in this department. i have a 16' flat bottom with a 25 h.p. suzuki. i also have a 19' bay boat with a 150h.p. i love my bayboat, but if i had to choose one, the bayboat's gone. i can fish big lake in the aluminum boat, i just have to pick my days more carefully. there are days that i can fish big lake with the bayboat that i wouldn't with the flat bottom, but they are few and far between. if i didn't have the bayboat, i would just fish elsewhere on those days or cut grass. in my opinion, if i had to have one, the flat bottom is much more versatile. it is nice to have both. however, with 2 kids, a wife, and career it is sometimes hard to justify both (time?). there's my $.02.

ratfusion
05-29-2009, 03:15 PM
i can offer a little experience in this department. i have a 16' flat bottom with a 25 h.p. suzuki. i also have a 19' bay boat with a 150h.p. i love my bayboat, but if i had to choose one, the bayboat's gone. i can fish big lake in the aluminum boat, i just have to pick my days more carefully. there are days that i can fish big lake with the bayboat that i wouldn't with the flat bottom, but they are few and far between. if i didn't have the bayboat, i would just fish elsewhere on those days or cut grass. in my opinion, if i had to have one, the flat bottom is much more versatile. it is nice to have both. however, with 2 kids, a wife, and career it is sometimes hard to justify both (time?). there's my $.02.

Thats all great info thanks! We've got no kids yet, so it'd be mostly her and myself. I'm looking at bay boats to take friends out on the weekends. I'm leaning a lot towards an aluminum boat first.

huntin fool
05-29-2009, 03:16 PM
check email..just sent one

ratfusion
05-29-2009, 03:17 PM
where would that be? i'll need to find this place with my jon boat lol

ratfusion..how about a nice used 21ft carolina skiff DLV???

Does it involve a drive to florida? I've looked at their boats and like them.

05-29-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd let mine go for $5750.00.

'86 18' Shoalwater Flats w/ 2000 90 Yammie

It will run in 6" of water and gets 4mpg. 6" cmc jack plate.

It'll run 43 mph with just me and 37 with 3 people. Very stable with a 8' 3" beam.

Slidellkid
05-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Ratfusion,

If you are considering a Carolina skiff, I can give you a world of information. I researched them for several months. You also might want to check out the Carolina skiff owners forum. Just do a yahoo or google search for it and you will find it. Lots of good info there. There are several dealers outside of Louisiana that will save you thousands of dollars on a Carolina Skiff. You should also check out the new skiffs that are being produced by Sea Hunt. They really look nice. Shoot me a message if you want more info on skiffs. I can also put you in touch with local guys that own them to answer more of your questions.

Hebert
05-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Does it involve a drive to florida? I've looked at their boats and like them.

i don't have one...was just suggesting them ...I like them too..If i had the cash i'd be buying one :D

flounder_smacker
05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
ratfusion..i have the perfect boat (my dad does) for you!

Its a 17 ft aluminum boat with a steering console, with a 50 yamaha.

this boat is a G3 coastal, which means that its rigged for saltwater (heavy wire, trolling motor) This boat has been used maybe 15-20 times MAX! its 2 years old and in like new shape!! You can basically use it for freshwater/saltwater, we use it for big lake. It is in the shape of like a bass boat, but is for saltwater! Email me at X1riverrat05@aol.com for details/pics/price.
It's a semi V aluminum boat, Yamaha made the boat, but they have quit making them now.
thanks!

yamaha stills owns g3.

huntin fool
05-29-2009, 08:01 PM
yamaha stills owns g3.

they dont make the 175 coastal anymore they still own g3

Ducktrickster
05-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I own a 22 foot bayboat and have taken the kids crabbing, tubing, bass and perch jerking on toledo, henderson, and the mermentau I've fished for trout in coastal bays and the near shore rigs. I've fished shallow ponds for redfish and even been snapper fishing in it. Never once did I think that I'd be better off in a smaller boat. I'd say that's versatile. This goes against many of the posts here but it is my truth. Everyone has different ideas of what is best for them so you decide. Don't get bogged down with too many opinions. After all, they are only opinions. Good luck with your decision. You'll enjoy your time on the water with any style of boat you choose.

ratfusion
05-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Ratfusion,

If you are considering a Carolina skiff, I can give you a world of information. I researched them for several months. You also might want to check out the Carolina skiff owners forum. Just do a yahoo or google search for it and you will find it. Lots of good info there. There are several dealers outside of Louisiana that will save you thousands of dollars on a Carolina Skiff. You should also check out the new skiffs that are being produced by Sea Hunt. They really look nice. Shoot me a message if you want more info on skiffs. I can also put you in touch with local guys that own them to answer more of your questions.

Those sea hunts are very interesting. Where do they fall in price ranges for the skiffs?

What did you end up buying?

Xpressboat908
05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Fool with that G3 I hope you will give (buyer) him a slicker suit. G3 boats are wet, wet, wet and ride very rough in any chop. I know someone who has the 1966 center console.