PDA

View Full Version : Froggin

LittleRob
05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
At the end of the month it's open again am I right? :help: Any froggers out there with some advertures like pissed off alligators, snakes in the boat, or little boys opening the sack in the truck. The last on happened to me in my new truck when we got home my truck was nasty and my wife saw it the next morning, lead balloon comes to mind.

Deadly D
05-29-2009, 06:38 PM
At the end of the month it's open again am I right? :help: Any froggers out there with some advertures like pissed off alligators, snakes in the boat, or little boys opening the sack in the truck. The last on happened to me in my new truck when we got home my truck was nasty and my wife saw it the next morning, lead balloon comes to mind.
Boy dont you love the boss he he :*****:

Marshrat
05-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I am planning on going, but I am going to buy the license so I can sell them. Hoping to catch around 50 or better each trip.

Warren

huntin fool
05-29-2009, 09:37 PM
im going!! where all yall go? like what area

Marshrat
05-29-2009, 09:41 PM
im going!! where all yall go? like what area

If I told you, I would have to kill you.:rasberry: I sure can show you, because then you would be a partner in crime.

Warren

huntin fool
05-29-2009, 09:44 PM
hmm...would it happen to be a river or a marsh?

Marshrat
05-29-2009, 09:57 PM
hmm...would it happen to be a river or a marsh?

Yes.........:smokin:

And that is all I have to say about that.

Warren

killa k
05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Back when I was in high school we used to drive around moss bluff neighbor hoods shining frogs out of the back of the truck, easiest froggin ever, it would get real funny though when one would take off because you could chase them since you would be standing on hard ground. More than one guy would wind up on his butt in the ditch. We tore up some gigs though, start with 4 prongs to start the night and go home when we only have one left.

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Never Been frogging before.....lol

Any body never frogged?.... ill take em.

Hebert
05-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Nice frogs catdaddy! I used to go on Bayou Tortue..can't wait to go again!

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Crawfish ponds... and when all the farmers start letting the water out the rice fields, i frogg the local drainage canals. i usually stop when my frogg sack is full because i dont like getting to greedy.. i can usually catch 100 to 150 a night, but i usually only need about 10 or 15. I love to frog, and what i like more is giving a pack of clean froggs to some elders by the house who love to eat frogs but are to old to get out and catch them. Im the same way with my catfish, ill catch and clean em, and then i ride around looking for good old ppl to give it to.

Hebert
05-30-2009, 11:14 AM
what i like more is giving a pack of clean froggs to some elders by the house who love to eat frogs but are to old to get out and catch them. Im the same way with my catfish, ill catch and clean em, and then i ride around looking for good old ppl to give it to.

thats awesome man...and you know they appreciate it too!

LittleRob
05-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm not really old, but I have a old lady does qualify me for that benifit. I just hope and prayer my wife NEVER gets on here and read that one.
Seriously that is a good thing to do for our elderly people, more people should think like that.

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm not really old, but I have a old lady does qualify me for that benifit. I just hope and prayer my wife NEVER gets on here and read that one.
Seriously that is a good thing to do for our elderly people, more people should think like that.

I think so to. I know alot of the old "coon-arse" ppl around the house like thos big catfish. I dont really care for the taste. They make a good gravey, and some fry pretty good if you soak them in ice water for about 2 or 3 days. But if you ever come eat catfish at my house you gonna get the litte small 2 pound fish fillets, they are the best tasting ones. But them old ppl, they will eat those big catfish all day long. they like to make graveys with them..

LittleRob
05-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Cat you gonna be in this week or what, I come in Wed.

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Cat you gonna be in this week or what, I come in Wed.

mais i dunno like dat. I THINK i have about a week left out here. They not cuttin me no slack right now. Ill tell you what,, i hope that i come in soon tho, cause i need to go fishing or sammin. Im trying to plan a few day trip to the water park with the wife and kids, i hope work dont rain on that. We need to get together tho. everytime i come in for a day or two you offshore. thats what sucks about not having a set schedule.

swamp snorkler
05-30-2009, 02:21 PM
CATDADDY, either you a midget or that is some huge frogs. I used to go in a hunting club in Terrebonne Parish that one of my good buddies was in. We would absolutely smoke them. Our biggest haul was 442 in one night. Very seldom would we come back with less than 150. Most of the time we were getting between 200 to 300. People don't believe me when I tell them this but it is true.

LittleRob
05-30-2009, 02:37 PM
CATDADDY, either you a midget or that is some huge frogs. I used to go in a hunting club in Terrebonne Parish that one of my good buddies was in. We would absolutely smoke them. Our biggest haul was 442 in one night. Very seldom would we come back with less than 150. Most of the time we were getting between 200 to 300. People don't believe me when I tell them this but it is true.

Swamp, are you a fisherman if so that's why no one will believe you, most of us stretch the truth. But I've gone out to the Lake Arthur Hunting club at night with some friends, and we hit em 300 plus. That is way to many to clean.

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Swamp, are you a fisherman if so that's why no one will believe you, most of us stretch the truth. But I've gone out to the Lake Arthur Hunting club at night with some friends, and we hit em 300 plus. That is way to many to clean.

Yea thats way to many to clean. I catch big ones like that all night long. I pass alot of froggs up being they not big. I like the big nastys..lol

LittleRob
05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Don't let him BS you he's like 4'11"

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Don't let him BS you he's like 4'11"

:rotfl::*****::rotfl::*****:

As the "texans" refer to me as ""W"'s parrotdaddy".... lmao

Hebert
05-30-2009, 05:52 PM
damn..fooled again!...catdaddy where those really green piss frogs painted brown?:*****:

LittleRob
05-30-2009, 05:53 PM
damn..fooled again!...catdaddy where those really green piss frogs painted brown?:*****:
Come on he was getting away with it, till I told his secret. Dude I am so sorry

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 05:58 PM

Give me a little credit guys... At least a leapord froh heh?

Gerald
05-30-2009, 10:22 PM
When I was a kid, my Grandpa taught me how to catch bull frogs during the day with a cane pole. I could catch several frogs at each small farm pond and go then next pond and get a few more. Then in a few days, I would go back and make another round of all the ponds and there would always be more frogs.

Has anyone ever done that?

CatDaddy
05-30-2009, 10:29 PM
When I was a kid, my Grandpa taught me how to catch bull frogs during the day with a cane pole. I could catch several frogs at each small farm pond and go then next pond and get a few more. Then in a few days, I would go back and make another round of all the ponds and there would always be more frogs.

Has anyone ever done that?

YEa.... But i never used a cane pole. i always used a 22 or a benjamin .177 pellet gun.. what you did with the cane pole? knock em out?

LittleRob
05-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Cat,Well I guess not it would be hard to slap a pee frog with a cane pole, LOL
I have used a boat paddle, BB gun, I even saw some guys on tv shooting them with a Bow and Arrow, that's a hell of a shott with a bow

CatDaddy
05-31-2009, 07:13 AM
I just do it the old "coonarse" lazy way... At night, headlight, laundry sack, case of beer (miller or coors). and a set of quick hands. ....

Hey Rob.... better got get them readings for ya morning reports yea!! lol

LittleRob
05-31-2009, 08:00 AM
I got that at 7:00 I do all the other reports at 5:00 and then the numbers at 7:00 finished for like 7:15 than rat kill after that. The guy i work with is like me we stay on top of the equipment and we have no problems. Just cause I said that I'll have problems the rest of the week.
In the summer it's just about to hot during the day so , I like to fish, frog, lucky I can't cut my grass at night

huntin fool
05-31-2009, 08:50 AM
we grab with hands! na d much like catdaddy's story up der!

CatDaddy
05-31-2009, 09:08 AM
I got that at 7:00 I do all the other reports at 5:00 and then the numbers at 7:00 finished for like 7:15 than rat kill after that. The guy i work with is like me we stay on top of the equipment and we have no problems. Just cause I said that I'll have problems the rest of the week.
In the summer it's just about to hot during the day so , I like to fish, frog, lucky I can't cut my grass at night

Kind of hard to hold the Q-Beam and drink beer and drive a zero turn radius mower huh?

LittleRob
05-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Kind of hard to hold the Q-Beam and drink beer and drive a zero turn radius mower huh?

And having a kid sitting at my feet

CatDaddy
05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
And having a kid sitting at my feet

You right about that... Cant forget about my "baby girl".

huntin fool
05-31-2009, 10:29 AM
i dont got kids sitting at my feet...i have wannabee riverrats begging to come :)

can i frog tonight after midnight? of do i have to wait til tomorrow night?

CatDaddy
05-31-2009, 10:33 AM
i dont got kids sitting at my feet...i have wannabee riverrats begging to come :)

can i frog tonight after midnight? of do i have to wait til tomorrow night?

You can frogg after midnight tonight... its legal

huntin fool
05-31-2009, 10:41 AM
You can frogg after midnight tonight... its legal

ok!! if i have a late post...thats why!!

LittleRob
05-31-2009, 10:59 AM
I'll be hitting some ditches when I get in

Gerald
05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Catching Frogs with a cane pole....

First.....in a farm pond there is usually a little weed growth near the water line where the frogs will sit during the day in the shade. The farm ponds were fairly small.....100' to 200' across and fairly round. You could slowly walk up to the pond and spot the frogs along the bank. There would usually be enough weed cover that you could sneak up on the frog to within a "cane pole" distance. You needed to pick out a land mark to where the frog was located so you could catch it....usually without being able to see the frog hidden under the weeds.

Now you are thinking how can you catch the frog if you can not see it????

There in lies the secret. A bull frog will usually eat anything that is bright red. So the best method was to take a small piece of red cloth and put it on a small treble hook. We usually used a small sliver spoon. The extra weight of the spoon helped to keep the "bait" from swinging in the wind

Now.....after sneaking up on the frog, I would slowly lower the "bait" down in front of where the frog was and hopefully he would eat the treble hook with the red cloth.

This did not always work.....sometimes the frog would spook and "walk" across the water by jumping 4 to 6 times and then dive under the water, not to be seen again............................................. ................................................ for 5 to 15 minutes. After a while the frog would surface out in the middle of the pond, sit there for a while, and then slowly start moving back to the bank. It would usually go back to his "spot".

Other times the frog might jump up trying to catch the bait as I was lowering it. When it missed, sometime it would just wait there for a second strike as I lowered it closer to the frog.

Sometimes the frog was just not willing to bite....guess it was not hungry. Then the trick was to see where the frog was and move the bait until it was right next to the frog’s mouth....being careful not to hit the frog that might cause him to jump away. Then with the treble hook in position....jerk the pole up.

Sometimes there would be 2 frogs near each other, and the second frog would come hoping over when the bait is lowered.

Most ponds would have cat tails, and that would be a challenge to get the bait lowered down to the water. Sometimes there would be several frogs come moving in to see what was causing all the movement while trying to lower the bait.

I also use to fly fish for bream in the ponds. Well, a bream fly would work to catch frogs also.

Then there was the frog chasing back at the farm house front lawn before the cleaning started.

CatDaddy
05-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Thats pretty interesting... Thanks Gerald.

LaAngler
05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
any good froggin around lafayette?

my best bet may very well be at the restaurante

CatDaddy
05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
any good froggin around lafayette?

my best bet my very well be at the restaurante

got a boat? ill show you some good frogging canals..

huntin fool
05-31-2009, 01:22 PM
la- you aint ever tried atchafalaya?

Marshrat
05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Like Gerald, I have caught them on hook and string before. Caught one on a buzz bait that I had put a worm tail on. Didn't have any idea of what I had until it came out of the water.

Warren

Capt Bob
05-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Well,Heck Im older then dirt !! LOL I can still catch em, but don't know where !! LOL But if ya ever get to Montegut with a bait of frogs, I will play Cripple !! LoL Capt Bob

LittleRob
06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Fool did you go last night??

CatDaddy
06-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Fool did you go last night??

You know he is still sleeping..

huntin fool
06-01-2009, 07:56 AM
no. im not in my routine yet.

going tonight going around 9

LittleRob