PDA

View Full Version : Exterior front door

Anth0ny
08-26-2015, 06:22 PM
My front door has been getting beat by the sun and is starting to crack in a few places. Has anyone had this issue and does anyone know ways to fix? I've tried using wood fillers but doesn't hold together well. 94346

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Gerald
08-26-2015, 07:23 PM
These doors were badly faded by the sun, but no cracking. The owner was fixing to sell the house.

I stripped off the finish and re-stained the wood a darker color. Those doors are big..... about 9 or 10 feet tall and really heavy. It took about 3 days to complete the job so I had to take down the doors and but them back on each day.

I wish I had taken a Before picture. I ended up also doing a bunch of trim painting on windows.

I though they came out really good and the homeowner was happy.

I would try stripping the finish and then fill in the crack with an outdoor wood filler. Re-stain the door and put 2 or 3 coats of sealer.

Gerald
08-26-2015, 07:28 PM
I have been told that Marine grade stains and sealers [made for boats] holds up really good but I have no experience using this.

Matt G
08-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Man-O-War Spar Marine Varnish

Ed32
08-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Second vote for man of war. The Benjamin Moore store on kaliste saloom has it

swamp snorkler
08-27-2015, 10:20 AM
My front door has been getting beat by the sun and is starting to crack in a few places. Has anyone had this issue and does anyone know ways to fix? I've tried using wood fillers but doesn't hold together well. 94346

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Im going through the same thing. I refinished my front door 2 times in 10 years. Both times with Helmsman Polyurethane Varnish (marine grade) it held up a little better but I just ordered a new Fiberglass door from Lockport Farm Market and we going to paint it. I'm tired of sanding and refinishing every few years.

Duckaholic
08-27-2015, 10:30 AM
I have had this problem and the ONLY thing that has been able to withstand the direct sunlight from the west is a product from Holland that they use on boats called "Epifanes"

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=92

It is expensive but worth the money. You can order it from Jamestown Distributors or amazon. It has the most solids. It does take about 8 coats.

PM me any time and I will call you to discuss if you want.

Duckaholic

Driftwood
08-27-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm with duckaholic on this. Epifanes from James town.

keakar
08-27-2015, 05:08 PM
the cracks can be filled permanently with automotive car bondo but staining them again is not an option, so they will have to be painted afterwards, but the doors can be saved.

bondo becomes a wood like substance that can be sanded and finished to be an invisible repair. its what they use to restore sections of rot holes in wood window sills and bottoms of doors and door casings