PDA

View Full Version : Line/Knot preferences

Gottogo49
12-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm sure you guys have discussed this one before but for us newbies: What line make and strength do you prefer? Anyone a big fan of braided line? What is your favorite knot?
I use mostly mono, but I have one rod with 30 pound power pro, uni knot to 6 foot fluorocarbon leader with a palomar to a quick clip.
For mono I use 12 pound clear stren with a palomar.
It's fun to have your own knot wars. Use two old topwater plugs with the hooks removed. Take a 4 foot piece of line and tie different knots to each plug and pull them apart until one breaks. For me a palomar is easy to tie and breaks most other knots.

Ray
12-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey nice meeting you today. Wish we could have stayed longer and shot the bull,
but we had to exchange gifts and eat before I go to work Monday.

I like 12 lb. Berkley. I don't know the name of the knot I use. But it is easy and it
holds. My brudder in law got hooked on some rocks today and it was pretty tough
to break the new 12 lb. Berkley I spooled on his new Christmas present.

eman
12-19-2009, 07:14 PM
30 lb PP, floro leader uni -uni. improved clinch knot.
30 lb PP tied directly to lure. polmar knot or mirro lure loop.
If i fish w/ mono it's a improved clinch knot.

fishinpox
12-19-2009, 07:19 PM
20lb power pro uni to uni fluro leader(5-7ft) 15-20lb palomar to lure

Gottogo49
12-20-2009, 12:05 AM
There's nothing wrong with an improved cinch knot but when I tie it and pull it against a palomar, the palomar wins every time. Jimmy Houston has a knot that he ties that is basically an double line improved cinch. It's a booger to tie but it will beat a palomar or the line will break between the knots. I sometimes have problems with PP wrapping around the tip of my rod and if you do try to throw too hard into the wind and get a professional over run, it it is a pain to straighten out. Great sensitivity though.

fishmaster911
12-20-2009, 12:32 AM
20lb power pro-Albright Knot-floro leader-Palomar Knot to bait & the rest is 14 lb stren original

eman
12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
There's nothing wrong with an improved cinch knot but when I tie it and pull it against a palomar, the palomar wins every time. Jimmy Houston has a knot that he ties that is basically an double line improved cinch. It's a booger to tie but it will beat a palomar or the line will break between the knots. I sometimes have problems with PP wrapping around the tip of my rod and if you do try to throw too hard into the wind and get a professional over run, it it is a pain to straighten out. Great sensitivity though.
You can feel a fish fart on your lure w/ power pro.
It does take som e getting used to. Just make sure that the line isn't wrapped around the tip of your rod when casting or setting the hook as it will cut the tip off a rod quick an clean.

mikedatiger
12-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Will tell you one thing, don't ever buy Sufix Fuse. Tried it as I was catching grief for my PowerPro. Bad decision - never knew line could birds nest as bad as this stuff.

PowerPro all the way.

Raymond
12-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Will tell you one thing, don't ever buy Sufix Fuse. Tried it as I was catching grief for my PowerPro. Bad decision - never knew line could birds nest as bad as this stuff.

PowerPro all the way.
I was told just the opposite Mike:eek:Guess I am going to end up back with the big game eventually. Hate playing with line when fish are biting.:shaking:

Ray
12-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I tried the 20 lb. Suffix Camo for a leader. It breaks before the dang 12 lb. Berkley does.
I have a spool of it if anyone wants it. Free.
Just gotta pick it up or pay for the shipping.

Montauk17
12-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I really like the regular sufix performance braid.....I dont see why yall are having trouble with sufix,i have some 12lb siege and its awesome.

Choupique
12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I use 10lb suffix braid on almost all my reels.