PDA

View Full Version : Boat Anchors

bohunterbiff
12-23-2009, 09:08 PM
What type of boat anchor have you found to be the best all-around for inshore fishing? Was leaning towards the grapple type, but was wondering if there was something better. Also how many use drift anchors - are they effective for drift fishing for trout and reds?

Ray
12-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I just drift. Nothing but the wind.
I have a 3 or 4 ft. stainless steel rod with a shackle on it.
It is good up to 6 or 7 ft. and some pretty good winds.
I also have a 30 lb. black PVC coated fluke type anchor
for real high winds or current. But don't use it much cause
it is tough to pull in.

Jordan
12-23-2009, 09:53 PM
That 200lb anchor is hard to get in the bote. I made my anchor

bohunterbiff
12-24-2009, 06:58 AM
Ray - i am not familiar with the rod anchor. is it one you stick in the bottom and then tie off to?

mikedatiger
12-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Ray - i am not familiar with the rod anchor. is it one you stick in the bottom and then tie off to?

Yes, it's just a long metal spear. Called a cajun anchor. I picked up mine at Cabela's for $80 I think. Just throw em straight down in the mud.

Stake-out-stik is real popular here in texas. I think they started off for kayakers but I used to fish with a quide that uses one - dead quiet, but only good to about 8'-9'.

bohunterbiff
12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks. Will start looking for the cajun type anchors.

fishmaster911
12-24-2009, 11:14 AM
i use the _ _ _ _ out of my cajun anchor, its great for shallow water ! if im in deeper water i use the Richter Anchor.

Nasty
12-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Keep in mind you will have to store it somewhere in your boat-- it is pretty long. I thought about that type of anchor also but went another way because I didn't want it cluttering up the floor. Maybe someone here has a good suggestion of where they keep it so it stays out of the way. Can you clip it up off the floor?

speckdaddy
12-24-2009, 11:29 AM
i use a 14 foot joint of 3/4 inch fiberglass.ive sharpened one end and attached a shackle on one end.you set this bad boy and it will not be pulled out by any winds!!! i store it by velcroing it to my grab rails on the sides of my boat.if yall want one, i got plenty of these "rods" lemme know.

Fishmaster
12-24-2009, 11:31 AM
also the best place i fount to put it, is in a rod holder, works perfect............

fishmaster911
12-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Keep in mind you will have to store it somewhere in your boat-- it is pretty long. I thought about that type of anchor also but went another way because I didn't want it cluttering up the floor. Maybe someone here has a good suggestion of where they keep it so it stays out of the way. Can you clip it up off the floor?

i keep mine in the rod box when im not using it. im sure u can make something to keep it off the floor,like some type of rod holder or something like this

swamp snorkler
12-24-2009, 02:24 PM
i use a 14 foot joint of 3/4 inch fiberglass.ive sharpened one end and attached a shackle on one end.you set this bad boy and it will not be pulled out by any winds!!! i store it by velcroing it to my grab rails on the sides of my boat.if yall want one, i got plenty of these "rods" lemme know.
Where you located??

Ray
12-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I keep my cajun anchor in a box up front.
Just pull it out, tie off and throw it like a spear into the mud.

speckdaddy
12-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Where you located??
lafayette, but im always down in raceland in may...late june. pm me ya number and ill be happy ta call ya when im there and drop ya one off. or, if ya fish the tourney, ill give ya one there

fishinpox
12-25-2009, 03:30 PM
POWER POLE!!!! in deep water i use the claw type it seems to come up cleaner than the fluke type

Nasty
12-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Will the spear type anchor hold on oyster bed? How hard is it to get it out of the mud if thrown deep?

Big Flounder
12-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I seen a post a few months ago about an anchore. Don't remember what it was called but it was a fiberglass pole with brackets that you can mount any where on your boat and you just shove it down when you are ready to anchor. It was good for up to 7' of water and had good reviews. I'm trying to find it now

Ray
12-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Will the spear type anchor hold on oyster bed? How hard is it to get it out of the mud if thrown deep?

Yes it will hold on oyster beds.
The softer the mud, the deeper it goes.
It will hold pretty good in almost any water up to a certain depth.
I don't have any issues in 7 or 8 ft. of water, unless the bottom is real hard.
The deeper the water, the slower the anchor goes as it gets deeper.
So of you want to anchor in deep water, you need a heavy spear type
anchor.
My neighbors son in law has a brass rod with a brass ring welded on the
top. It is pretty heavy.
I have a solid stainless steel rod with a stainless shackle on it. It is pretty
heavy too.
You also need to hold the rod around the 3/4 mark from the bottom before
chunking the spear. If you hold it too high, it will tend to go at an angle
instead of straight down and not hold as good.

When you are ready to move off a reef, just put your trolling motor down
and move off. Then tie it off and start the main motor and putt putt to
get the mud off.

fishmaster911
12-25-2009, 11:06 PM
here ya go Big Flounder
www.stay-put-fishing.com
www.holdmypole.com
www.wanganchor.com
www.stickitanchorpins.com

bay_slayer
12-26-2009, 12:40 AM
here ya go Big Flounder
www.stay-put-fishing.com (http://www.stay-put-fishing.com)
www.holdmypole. com (http://www.holdmypole.com):eek::*****::*****:
www.wanganchor.com (http://www.wanganchor.com)
www.stickitanchorpins.com (http://www.stickitanchorpins.com)

fishmaster911
12-26-2009, 12:49 AM
ain't that funny stuff!:*****::*****::*****::*****:

bohunterbiff
12-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for help and links. That is exactly what I was looking for.