PDA

View Full Version : Pooyie Compost Mix

Matt G
03-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Anybody use the Pooyie Compost mix for their gardens? I picked up a couple yards for my raised bed and noticed that it's a fairly dense mixture. Tons of topsoil and not nearly enough compost or peat moss. Once it gets wet, it starts to clump and packs solid. Anybody else had this issue with it?

I'd like to mix in some more peat moss but my plants are already in the ground and I don't feel like digging them all up. Granted, my tomatoes look like crap and may have to be replaced. Any suggestions?

lil bubba
03-31-2016, 11:05 AM
I don't know how big of a bed you have but home depot sells a cheap topsoil that I used to break up my clay I had...It's $1.69 a bag and it's mostly sand and really small woodchips...You could take and spread a lil layer on top and work it in with a rake...

ragincajun
03-31-2016, 11:57 AM
I have been using the Pooyie for several years and have good success with it. This is my garden from last year. Now you still have to add fertilizer to any soil. I did a soil test on it and I know several people who did the same that use Pooyie and our fertilizer recommendations were very similar. PM me if you would like me to send them to you. The amount of fertilizer that they tell you to put seems very small but I have gone a year without doing it and the difference it makes is tremendous.

Matt G
03-31-2016, 12:34 PM
I don't know how big of a bed you have but home depot sells a cheap topsoil that I used to break up my clay I had...It's $1.69 a bag and it's mostly sand and really small woodchips...You could take and spread a lil layer on top and work it in with a rake...

My bed is 4' x 16'. It's just regular topsoil? Would you know the brand right off hand?

I have been using the Pooyie for several years and have good success with it. This is my garden from last year. Now you still have to add fertilizer to any soil. I did a soil test on it and I know several people who did the same that use Pooyie and our fertilizer recommendations were very similar. PM me if you would like me to send them to you. The amount of fertilizer that they tell you to put seems very small but I have gone a year without doing it and the difference it makes is tremendous.

PM sent!

seachaser250
03-31-2016, 01:30 PM
Anybody use the Pooyie Compost mix for their gardens? I picked up a couple yards for my raised bed and noticed that it's a fairly dense mixture. Tons of topsoil and not nearly enough compost or peat moss. Once it gets wet, it starts to clump and packs solid. Anybody else had this issue with it?

I'd like to mix in some more peat moss but my plants are already in the ground and I don't feel like digging them all up. Granted, my tomatoes look like crap and may have to be replaced. Any suggestions?

If you had been home schooled you'd know to how solve this problem.

Matt G
03-31-2016, 01:57 PM

http://charts.stocktwits.com/production/original_46911762.jpg?1450293364

lil bubba
03-31-2016, 02:56 PM
It is Gardenese...It will not clump and excess water drains thru...I mix it in my containers with leaf compost or miracle grow garden soil...You could probly lay it an inch thick or so and work it in an inch or so and not hurt your plants any and if need be do it again in a couple weeks...

B-Stealth
03-31-2016, 08:25 PM

loa ohh yea I remember the "soil conditioning" section from the ACT.

elebouef
05-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Don't mess with that pooyie. Just get you some horse manure and till it in to your garden. And it is free

simplepeddler
05-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Check out the Hook and Crook hoe.........you can layer it in and use the H&C.....it's the real deal

saute86
05-15-2016, 09:47 PM
I put pooyie in my garden this year and have have the same problem with my tomatoes. My peppers seem to love it. I am not impressed with it.

ragincajun
05-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Matt how is your garden doing?

Matt G
05-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Mine has really taken off over the past few weeks after all that rain. The only thing different I've done so far was top it with a few bags of mulch to help retain the moisture. After the summer, I'm going to send off a soil sample and compare the results to the report you emailed me.

saute86
05-16-2016, 09:22 AM
This spring I started a fertilizer plant. I got me some rabbits 3 does and 2 bucks. I have been chipper/shredding everything I can get my hands on. I have 6 inches of chips and compost under the cages. Every morning I stir the mix with a garden rake. My plan is to rotate the mix from the compost pile to under the cages then to a finished pile. Once the garden dries out from this weeks round of rains I am pulling up my first green bean crop and going to amend my first row in the garden.

ragincajun
06-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Matt here is a pic I took yesterday of my garden.

Matt G
06-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Looking good man! Everything is doing great in mine except my tomatoes aren't turning red. It's been several weeks already and other than the cherry tomatoes, they are all still green. I had to throw a few that split and the bugs got to.

ragincajun
06-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Looking good man! Everything is doing great in mine except my tomatoes aren't turning red. It's been several weeks already and other than the cherry tomatoes, they are all still green. I had to throw a few that split and the bugs got to.

My tomatoes just started turning in the last couple days.