View Full Version : i'm trying

ironworker
04-16-2016, 10:02 AM
this right now!!!!
going to get some pictures when I get time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsz-Gu2FBoo

Cappy
04-16-2016, 10:22 AM
I alwys thought I'd try it one day with red taters and sweet taters. That dirt looked rich enough to use again too.

latravcha
04-16-2016, 01:27 PM
I have about 10 barrels.
I need to try that.

ironworker
07-01-2016, 12:04 PM
update!!!!

it didn't work out to well.... only made 3 taters

Bluechip
07-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Damn..... I figured it would have been better

simplepeddler
07-01-2016, 10:05 PM
My grandfather used to plant them above ground......I remember he put a thick layer of newspaper down, then potting soil. put the potato eyes down, covered them in hay about 15 inches thick and watered the hell out them.........

we would just pull off the hay and the pototoes were there.........they never got huge, put it was good enough.......seems like I remember a 20X20 area yeilding 5 five gallon buckets

ironworker
07-02-2016, 05:20 PM
eyes down huh?

hummmmmmmm.
I dunno if I did that.....

saute86
07-02-2016, 06:10 PM
My brother tried in a large horse trough this spring and didn't produce but 5 potatoes. He thinks it was because of all the rain we got this spring. Potatoes don't like too much water. I saw that video before and I will be planting some this fall. I have been researching that technique a lot this spring. It makes a lot of sense to grow them this way. The best results I have read are lots of holes in barrel for air and good dirt at the bottom but hilling the plants with compost and wood chips as they grow. Keep the soil loosely compacted and evenly moist but not too wet. Also buy your slips from a garden center or order them. Using grocery store potatoes do not yield as many potatoes because they have been sprayed with preservatives. I have been having trouble finding food grade barrels and plan to use large plastic trash cans instead. I will use rabbit manure with wood chips for the growing medium. I will start a post when I begin the project on August 15th.

saute86
07-02-2016, 06:19 PM
My grandfather used to plant them above ground......I remember he put a thick layer of newspaper down, then potting soil. put the potato eyes down, covered them in hay about 15 inches thick and watered the hell out them.........

we would just pull off the hay and the pototoes were there.........they never got huge, put it was good enough.......seems like I remember a 20X20 area yeilding 5 five gallon buckets
I saw a video on the potato hay method too and plan to try a small patch that way also. Have you seen a hay bale garden? My dad was given one for Christmas and it grew the hell out of vegetables. He had to water it a lot to keep it wet or the plants would wilt. The bale eventually fell apart so it would be a good idea to frame the sides.

simplepeddler
07-02-2016, 09:00 PM
I've done a little you tubing on the hay bale stuff........but there is more to it than meets the eye it seems. The wood chip "Back to Eden" stuff is interesting as well.

saute86
07-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Simplepeddler I am going to do a 10x10 BTE garden to try. I have a super tomahawk chipper shredder that I have been chipping everything I can get my hands on. I have been lining the ground under my rabbit cages with the chips and leaf mulch for one month then piling it up to use this fall. I put some tomatoes in buckets with it and they are nice and green and growing every day. I planted those tomatoes deep with just the top 4 leaves a week ago. It has over doubled in size. They get 3 hours of day light in the am and 3 hours in the afternoon. The pictures of compost is from fresh chips to compost in 2 months. There is a rabbit turd every inch or 2 in the finished pile.