PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing

Montauk17
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Anyone on here that fly fishes? I have always thought it was interesting,and im about to give it a try.I would mainly be using it for reds and specks. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.:smokin:

Mediumheavyaction6'6
01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
when do you want to get together i too am getting into the fly fishing for reds. i need a partner to push pole me around and i guess i would be willing to do the same.

huntin fool
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I fly fish during summer. Its fun, haven't tried for reds or specks...have just been doing bream and bass

Mediumheavyaction6'6
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
had a couple guys at hopedale i ran into the other day telling me some spots to go look for reds. i wanted to go this weekend but couldn't find anyone to go with me. i am serious about going ryan if you want to go. just not this week i like my extremities too much.

SULPHITE
01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I used to fly fish the calc and burn out bridge for bream and brass...been to colorado as well near the continental divide fly fishing for trout too...I miss it, haven't used a fly rod in years but will pull her out of the shop one day!! I would love to fish for reds as well just got to get a fly junkie near Lake Chuck to go with...

huntin fool
01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I used to fly fish the calc and burn out bridge for bream and brass...been to colorado as well near the continental divide fly fishing for trout too...I miss it, haven't used a fly rod in years but will pull her out of the shop one day!! I would love to fish for reds as well just got to get a fly junkie near Lake Chuck to go with...

Ima try my fair share in the marsh by the barrier in lake chuck, place was loaded last summer.

I love dat bream fishin on the calc. river with a fly.

wtretrievers
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
a #6 or #8 flyrod is a kick in the @ss with reds! I caught plenty when I worked in Venice. We would go under lights & catch specks at night. A 26" red on flyrod, all you can do is hang on & wish it well!!!!!!!! It's a blast!
Academy sells fly kits for saltwater. Thats what I started with & still use. I had a #8 fly rod built.

eman
01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
First learn to cast at least 50 ft accurately.Not that you will be casting that far when fishing for reds but it makes it easier for shorter pinpoint cast to tailing reds.
Get you a few walder spoons ,a few crab pattern flies and some charlies in asst. colors for the reds.
Some clousers in asst. colors and a few shrimp immitations will get you into the trout.

The most important thing to have is the best pair of polarized shades that you can afford. They are a must when looking for reds to cast at.

If you will be fishing from a yak or small craft you need to learn to cast while sitting down. The easiest way i have found to do this is to set a lawn chair out in the yard and learn to cast from it.
If you make it a point to keep your elbow on the arm of the chair it can also help improve your casting.
Keeping you elbow on the arm of the chair keeps you from trying to use you shoulder and upper arm to cast.

When you land your first big red on a fly rod you WILL be hooked.:smokin:

Gerald
01-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Like Fool.......I use to fly fish for bream a lot during the summer. I have done a little fly fishing for Trout, just to play around some when I get on them.

I have never caught a Red on the fly rod but really would like to.

There is a fly fishing club here in Lake Charles that I think meets once a month. Ron Begnaud is a flyfish guide and has a web site @ http://www.redchaser.com/redchaserguideservice.htm

There is some good information about fly fishing on this site. Ron's wife had a baby about a year ago, and the forum was turned off.

Montauk17
01-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the info guys,I think im gunna buy a TFO 8wt combo in a couple of weeks. And lucas im down for sure when this cold azz weather goes away a little.

Jordan
01-05-2010, 09:56 AM
after i get this duck calling down pat, im gonna start witht he fly rod !