PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheeler electrical question

bjhooper82
10-03-2017, 09:17 PM
A few months back, a damn rat got in my 4 wheeler and chewed up some of my wires. I repaired and replaced everything I could find that was damaged and got the last part in today and got it put together. Turned on the ignition and no power. I expected that since the battery had been off for quite a while. Hooked up some jumper cables and she fired right up! Problem is, when I disconnect the jumper cables it dies out. I let it run hooked up to the cables for about 30 minutes but same thing. Any suggestions?

Andy C
10-03-2017, 10:05 PM
EFI?
Had the same problem the battery was shorted out.

Gerald
10-03-2017, 10:59 PM
30 minutes with the jumper cables connect may not be nearly long enough for a "dead" battery.

Put the battery on a charger for a few hours and see it the battery can "recover" from being dead for a long time. The battery might charge up ok..... but may not hold the charge. Might need a new battery.

bjhooper82
10-03-2017, 11:00 PM
EFI?
Had the same problem the battery was shorted out.

Yes, it's EFI

bjhooper82
10-03-2017, 11:03 PM
30 minutes with the jumper cables connect may not be nearly long enough for a "dead" battery.

Put the battery on a charger for a few hours and see it the battery can "recover" from being dead for a long time. The battery might charge up ok..... but may not hold the charge. Might need a new battery.

I'm thinking I may need a new battery regardless. I bought the 4 wheeler brand new in 08 and it's still the original battery on it. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that tomorrow.

Feesherman
10-04-2017, 07:22 AM
I'm thinking I may need a new battery regardless. I bought the 4 wheeler brand new in 08 and it's still the original battery on it. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that tomorrow.

Yes, you for sure need a new battery.