PDA

View Full Version : opinion needed !

fishmaster911
01-17-2010, 12:23 AM
im looking into buying one like this ! i want to hear yall opinions on these boats before i blow my dough !:confused:
http://www.mako-boats.com/boat/printView.cfm?boat=3280

LaAngler
01-17-2010, 12:24 AM
dont do it!

you want me to talk you out of this one or into another one? :rotfl:

fishmaster911
01-17-2010, 12:35 AM
dont do it!

you want me to talk you out of this one or into another one? :rotfl:

if its in my price range! @ 20
i have a 17ft bass boat, im looking for something a lil better for the saltwater !

LaAngler
01-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Okay

First of all I do like the looks of the mako skiff. The problems come in on several areas. Tracker marine has a bad rep for service after the sale/warranty work. The hardware (lids, latches, hinges, gas cap, cleats, instruments) that mako uses is pretty cheap and will fail with any decent amount of saltwater use.

Another issue is this, IF you go with an 18 footer, you will find that the length of the boat in a lot of our open bays just isn't long enough to span the typical day to day chop. This makes for a lot slower and ROUGHER travel. 20 to 21 foot is a good length for this.

Will you actually pole the boat? how much?

What will you be doing 80 percent of the time? How many people will you have onboard? will you fish livies a lot in the summer? what bay system do you fish most?

Do you realize what kind of depreciation this rig will have, ESPECIALLY with Mako's newfound bad repuation. I would look into getting a rigged out saltwater boat that is 1-5 years old.

IF i were buying a 18 foot flats type skiff I would look into getting a 18 foot maverick master angler or 18 foot hewes redfisher. There's a good chance that a "bay" boat might fill your needs better, in that case, the options are endless. A lot will depend on what type of deal you find.

fishmaster911
01-17-2010, 12:59 AM
well said ! i guess im looking more for the bay boat style. i would like to stay @ 18 or 19 ft ok so what kind of bay boats would u suggest ?

Reel Bender
01-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Yeah Bruce, you did a good job of why not. Now make your case on what he should buy!

LaAngler
01-17-2010, 01:04 AM
does if have to fit in a garage? you need to ride an 18 and a 22 in the chop before you buy

i'd much rather some hulls like these for 20ish K than the mako

http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=253285

http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=245680

now one great thing about flats boats, they eliminate the need for a bass boat, lots of deck space and storage, great for specks/reds.

Reel Bender
01-17-2010, 01:04 AM
What I can tell you is boat prices are outrageous. I've been thinking of getting a smaller boat (15-18 ft) since I fish alone alot. Shoot, it would still cost me 20-30k to get a good boat

LaAngler
01-17-2010, 01:29 AM
fishmaster, send a message to Ray, he's got a nice 19 footer made by MBC boat company i'm not sure what it costed

Reel Bender
01-17-2010, 01:37 AM
Ok this guy has dropped his price to 28 K and will probably move some more.

Heck of a Boat

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=231136

Nasty
01-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I had the new boat fever also for about 2 years. But, I never ruled out a slightly used boat that was taken care of and with a good reputation. And, that is exactly what I found. You will save thousands from taxes by purchasing from an individual. And, depreciation has already set in because it is used. I figure I have saved $15,000 by buying a good used rig. It is something you might want to think about. I agree about mako-- it was red flagged during my investigations.

flounder_smacker
01-17-2010, 01:52 PM
find you a good used hewes 18 redfisher. know a buddy who picked up a 2003 with a 150vmax for 16 and the motor had just at 100 hours. look around before you just buy you can find decent deals on a nice used rig.

fishinpox
01-17-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=classifieds&event=view&action=single_ad&id=137548

check out this shearwater pretty sweet , a coiple g's more than you looking to spend but come on a budget ? who really sticks to em budgets are a word throwen around to keep the wife from freaking out when men make purchases like this !! lol

blackmamba
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=classifieds&event=view&action=single_ad&id=137548

check out this shearwater pretty sweet , a coiple g's more than you looking to spend but come on a budget ? who really sticks to em budgets are a word throwen around to keep the wife from freaking out when men make purchases like this !! lol

True dat brotha

huntin fool
01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
that lake and bay IS SWEET! sucker hauls i bet

Ray
01-17-2010, 02:49 PM
fishmaster, send a message to Ray, he's got a nice 19 footer made by MBC boat company i'm not sure what it costed

It is a Cobia. Same hull as the Pathfinder, but a little cheaper. It uses an
different style of lay up for the fiberglass, but same molds, same hull.
The Pathfinder is lighter and has lower sides. In order to get a boat I wanted,
it also had to meet the wants of my wife and had to fit in my garage.
The Cobia had higher sides, plenty of storage, plenty of seating, thicker
fiberglass, and the windshield and grab rail folded down to get in the garage.
I paid ~$27K with trolling motor, GPS/Depthfinder and 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke.
I got a 2009, they already sold the 2008 that was on the lot. It was a few
thousand cheaper than the 2009. At the Lake Charles boat show, they were
about $3K cheaper than at the Houston boat show.
I looked at Nautic Star, but the local dealer acted like he was doing me a
favor to even talk to me, twice. I also looked at Blazer Bay, which I liked,
but my wife liked the Cobia way better. It was a lot easier to get a boat
we both liked than to get one that just I liked.

blackmamba
01-17-2010, 02:50 PM
im looking into buying one like this ! i want to hear yall opinions on these boats before i blow my dough !:confused:
http://www.mako-boats.com/boat/printView.cfm?boat=3280

I was looking at this same boat because I could put the motor that I have now (etec 90) on it. I was also looking at the Kenner 1901 but I thought these were made by the same people? The Hewes boats are nice but are on the high end of pricing.

blackmamba
01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
It is a Cobia. Same hull as the Pathfinder, but a little cheaper. It uses an
different style of lay up for the fiberglass, but same molds, same hull.
The Pathfinder is lighter and has lower sides. In order to get a boat I wanted,
it also had to meet the wants of my wife and had to fit in my garage.
The Cobia had higher sides, plenty of storage, plenty of seating, thicker
fiberglass, and the windshield and grab rail folded down to get in the garage.
I paid ~$27K with trolling motor, GPS/Depthfinder and 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke.
I got a 2009, they already sold the 2008 that was on the lot. It was a few
thousand cheaper than the 2009. At the Lake Charles boat show, they were
about $3K cheaper than at the Houston boat show.
I looked at Nautic Star, but the local dealer acted like he was doing me a
favor to even talk to me, twice. I also looked at Blazer Bay, which I liked,
but my wife liked the Cobia way better. It was a lot easier to get a boat
we both liked than to get one that just I liked.

Ray if you have a pic of your boat please post

LaAngler
01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
ray, i have heard nightmares about porpoising issues on the 20 pathfinders with the F150 yammys.....

takes a freakin prop witch doctor to fix and sometimes it can't be

does your bounce at midrange at all with no tabs?

Ray
01-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Yes she does if I don't drop the tabs. It is not a nightmare, in my opinion.
It is only at certain speeds, just above planing speed.

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40&highlight=cobia&page=8

Ray
01-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I looked hard at the Mako's. I really really liked the layout and the hull look, but I didn't get
the support from the dealers. They couldn't answer most of the questions I asked
and I couldn't get the answers from their website either.
It seemed like they were trying to hide something. The Mako was first on my list to buy,
then it was the first one I crossed off my list due to dealer knowledge of their own boats.

Montauk17
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I've rode in alot of boats being that i work at a marine repair shop. For the money you cant beat the nautic star's. You can get a 18 foot in your price range. Another option is to go used,you can get some good deals. If you decide to go used make sure you have someone go through it very well to make it everything is up to par. http://www.nauticstarboats.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.display&product_id=79 I like the flats boats alot,but there so damn expensive.

speck-chaser
01-17-2010, 05:55 PM
there are a lot of good used boats out there, you might hafta drive a little ways,but there are some good deals to be made. I love the hewes/pathfinder family. My brother picked up a 24' pathfinder with 225 yamaha 4 stroke with only a couple of hundred hours on it from florida this past year. It was an 02 in mint cond.. for less than 25k.

fishmaster911
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
well guys thanks for the input ! i guess im gona just have to sit tight a look around for one ! im not in no rush there is nothing wrong with my boat so i don't have to rush !

Raymond
01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
American Yatch Sales had a bank repo on their board at the boat show for $21,000...2007 21 Frontier with less than 100 hrs. Of course it had a T top and no trolling motor but my guess is they would have taken $19,000 for it sat afternoon. The same 2009 model at the show was $37,000 and change.:eek: IMO, buying new is the worst financial mistake anyone can make at this time.

PUREBAY2200
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Ok this guy has dropped his price to 28 K and will probably move some more.

Heck of a Boat

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=231136

Buy it now!!!!!
That is an awsomw boat!!
Will take the chop!! Unreal ride , speed, fishability etc!!
Ull love it!!!

huntin fool
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Buy it now!!!!!
That is an awsomw boat!!
Ull love it!!!

x2

Lake and bay are the only way!

Better hurry Chris is about to buy it! :*****:

fishmaster911
01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
buy it now!!!!!
That is an awsomw boat!!
Ull love it!!!

i know i would love! That is one bad mofo !

PUREBAY2200
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
x2

Lake and bay are the only way!

Better hurry Chris is about to buy it! :*****:

man I'm itchin to get me a lake and bay!!!! Love that boat!!!
When I sell mine that's what I'm gettin!!
Either that exact boat or the 24 ft!!

mikedatiger
01-17-2010, 10:56 PM
I've rode in alot of boats being that i work at a marine repair shop. For the money you cant beat the nautic star's. You can get a 18 foot in your price range. Another option is to go used,you can get some good deals. If you decide to go used make sure you have someone go through it very well to make it everything is up to par. http://www.nauticstarboats.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.display&product_id=79 I like the flats boats alot,but there so damn expensive.

What he said on the Nautic star:D Chris' marine is getting it ready for you right now;)

Chris, what's the deal with the lake and bay? thought you wanted the 24HO haynie:spineyes:

LaAngler
01-17-2010, 11:23 PM

another member here, Artifishual, has a 21 cobia i think, i wonder if his does this at all. be interesting to know.

Ray
01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
It all depends on where the motor is trimmed up to.
When I take off and start trimming up, there is a point that the boat starts to porpoise,
then I drop the tabs. But when it starts, it porpoises big time.
If I leave the motor down, it won't. I know where the point is on my trim gauge, that's
where I hit the tabs.
All boats have a point that it will porpoise, all boats that I have ridden in.
If I leave the motor trimmed up and the tabs in the last position when I was running,
this does not happen.

Dink
01-18-2010, 10:59 AM
There's an 18 hewes redfisher for sale here in Lafayette. Its a nice boat. The name on the side is Jambalaya. Bruce, didn't you and I have a look at it last time we had lunch? It was parked at the trailer repair place on pinhook for awhile. The owner lives on la neuvelle in Broussard. I think asking price was 15.....but not sure

longsidelandry
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
There's an 18 hewes redfisher for sale here in Lafayette. Its a nice boat. The name on the side is Jambalaya. Bruce, didn't you and I have a look at it last time we had lunch? It was parked at the trailer repair place on pinhook for awhile. The owner lives on la neuvelle in Broussard. I think asking price was 15.....but not sure
That boat is almost directly across the street from my office, it's been there for a while.

Dink
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Quick tip......DO NOT buy thru a broker!!!!!! Have a look at my thread history to see why..........Tim

LaAngler
01-18-2010, 01:04 PM
That boat is almost directly across the street from my office, it's been there for a while.

i looked at it, underpowered and overpriced :rotfl:

longsidelandry
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
i looked at it, underpowered and overpriced :rotfl:
That's what I figured, it had to be overpriced to just be sitting there for as long as it's been.

meaux fishing
01-18-2010, 02:26 PM
get a pre 2005 kenner (before the tracker buyout) or a frontier 190

Ray
01-19-2010, 09:45 PM
americanyachtsales.com
Repo place in Texas, South of Houston.

fishmaster911
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
americanyachtsales.com
Repo place in Texas, South of Houston.

ray,ima have to check that out !

Shawn Braquet
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
i have a 18 ft nautic star and walked out the door with alum trailer, trolling motor and the 115 hp upgrade for 21k, I love it and yes the 21 or 22 ft would be a smoother ride on the lake, but as a weekend warrior it fits me well and nice on the fuel. I still fish on rough water days just not quite as comfortable but was hard to talk myself into the 10k price difference on the bigger boats.

Jordan
01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
It is only at certain speeds, just above planing speed.

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40&highlight=cobia&page=8

i've fished out of this boat a good bit, its real nice... i wish i could afford one like this... I have a "Wahoo" bay boat... it gets me where i need to go

adamsfence
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
i have a 18 ft nautic star and walked out the door with alum trailer, trolling motor and the 115 hp upgrade for 21k, I love it and yes the 21 or 22 ft would be a smoother ride on the lake, but as a weekend warrior it fits me well and nice on the fuel. I still fish on rough water days just not quite as comfortable but was hard to talk myself into the 10k price difference on the bigger boats.

this is how i felt wish i would have upgraded to the 115 just for the extra speed. but i have crossed big lake in some pretty rough conditions in my boat. have even took it to near rigs in some rough stuff.....bigger would be smoother i understand but for what i payed i can deal with the rough water consider i only fish every once in a while.....by the way i have a 180vbay blue wave with a 90 suz

fishmaster911
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Hey Shawn Braquet where did u purchase ur boat at? I kinda leaning towards the 18 ft nautic star with the 115!

Nasty
01-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Fishmaster-- something to think about. The Nautic Star 1810 has little walking room. If you will use another icechest for the fish besides the flip flop seat, where will it fit? The insulated storage hatch is way too small for reds/specks. Just a few things I found when I was looking around.

fishmaster911
01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Fishmaster-- something to think about. The Nautic Star 1810 has little walking room. If you will use another icechest for the fish besides the flip flop seat, where will it fit? The insulated storage hatch is way too small for reds/specks. Just a few things I found when I was looking around.

good point ! i never thought about that !

Nasty
01-22-2010, 10:30 PM
You need to look for a small boat with some walking room and one that will allow at least a 72 qt icechest to be placed in it. I found the Blue wave 180 V-bay and Blazer bay 1860 had the room when I was researching.

fishmaster911
01-22-2010, 10:35 PM
i looked at those a lil, but im still not sure ! i got more home work to ! thats y im not rushing. i dont want any regrets !

Nasty
01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Sounds good! I was looking around for 2 years... just patiently waiting for my boat before pulling the trigger.

fishmaster911
01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Does any have any comments on the frontier boats ?

Reel Bender
01-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Does any have any comments on the frontier boats ?

Fished 2 days out of one in Grand Pass area (I thinks thats what it is called). We ran rough water around the islands then went shallow in the coves and trolled. I was very impressed with the boat.

I used to have a Kenner, built by the Kenner Bros. and was excited about fishing out of one of their new boats. Needless to say, I was not dissappointed.

If I was looking to buy a boat that Style the Frontier or Blackjack would be at the top of the list.

The old kenner is now 21 years old and my nephew has taken it over.

LaAngler
01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
i dont want any regrets !

then buy a slightly used 21+ footer :redface:

a used blackjack would be the ticket, NOT an old guide boat however

Reel Bender
01-30-2010, 04:31 PM
There is a Frontier in Corpus for approx 22k, divorce sale, I'm trying to get more details.

It's white/red.

Reel Bender
01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Here are a couple of pics.