PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance

jchief
01-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Been looking at the new Lowrance combo graphs. They don't make the 520 anymore, they now have the HDS out. Anyone got any comments or thoughts on them? Looking at the 5 or 7.

adamsfence
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
looked at them yesterday them things are nice. academy only has the hds8 the 5 was closest to my budget. check out this website this is where i ordered mine they were 100 bucks cheaper than the cheapest place i found. also if you buy a garmin before 5/10 you get a 100 off. (mail in rebate) just thought i would throw that in

http://www.gpsonsale.com/MarineGPS/Marine-Products/Lowrance/HD-5.htm

Dink
01-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Go Garmin......

jchief
01-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Ok. Which Garmin is comparable. Just on thier web page looking. Have 2 of thier GPS use for hunting and driving and have no complaints. Been using Lowrance on my boats for, ohhhh 20 years or so.

adamsfence
01-31-2010, 01:18 PM
do you mainly fish inland or coastal

jchief
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah!

LOL mostly big lake and toledo bend. That is why the yeah!!

adamsfence
01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
that is mainly why i went with the inland that is the two places i fish and i don't go offshore. the difference in the different garmin models are processor speeds but also as you step up you get different maps for example 421- base map 431- inland 441 coastal. the way i was explain it you can buy the coastal chip in case you go offshore. also the 4xx,5xx,6xx so on is the screen size i believe. 4xx is the four inch and so on. the guy at west marine was very helpful

simplepeddler
01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
If you go Garmin, make sure to go with NMEA 2000 that way you can communicate with other items later.

jchief
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Next question. I have Topomaps for my garmin hand held. Anyway I can download this into one on a boat?

jchief
01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Also, does Garmin have anything comparable to the Lowrance down scan?

adamsfence
01-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Next question. I have Topomaps for my garmin hand held. Anyway I can download this into one on a boat?

don't know the answer to this one I know it accepts the sd cards just dont know if it accepts these maps

adamsfence
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Also, does Garmin have anything comparable to the Lowrance down scan?

from what i have seen i haven't seen anything that compares to that....that is pretty awesome. I'm not trying to steer you towards garmin that was what i got the best reviews on so thats what i went with.

I looked at the lowarance and the map was pretty neat it had the 3d features.. as far as the ease of use i dont know, nobody had it hooked up. the garmin was very easy to use so that sold me

simplepeddler
01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
google "bluwaterpirate" garmin videos and see what reality is with the garmin.

The G2 vision cards offer quite a bit.
I have no experience with the Lowrance.(to be fair) Now the new Suzuki's and I think the Evinrudes use the Lowrance as their gauges. and it's all plug and play from the engine harness to the gauges to the sonar.

not sure if it matters now, but if you are looking for a new motor ?? then well.....

AFWIW Garmin supports the heck of the unit through on line upgrades that load through the SD card slot.

Again man I know you asked about Lowrance.....sorry to hi jack

jchief
01-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Peddler, you are not hijacking. That is the info I am looking for.

Another question. On my Lowrance 520 I could tell, fairly easily, when I was on oyster reefs or other structure. Does the Garmins have this ability.

simplepeddler
01-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Like all of them, it takes some getting used to, but yes

jchief
01-31-2010, 05:46 PM
By the way. Just sold by boat, so I am boat shopping, so if it is capable of hooking up to Yamaha and working I am definately interested.

Probably going to get a Frontier with 150 Yamaha 4 stroke.

simplepeddler
01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
then I would definitely research the CAnet (i think)

NMEA 2000 Garmin AND Lowrance Both have it.
It is highly probable that the Yammie will have it.
Things like fuel consumption, range, oil pressure can all be seen on your 5 0R 7 inch screen. pretty cool stuff

Sea-Trac Offshore
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I would go with a Lowrance sounder if you are looking for bottom definition. The Garmin units, even their high end gsd22 black box units cant compare to a Lowrance sounder. As the downscan, Lowrance and Humminbird are the only manufacturers carrying it right now.