PDA

View Full Version : Coating suggestions

LaAngler
02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
what's the best/easiest type of marine paint/camo jobs on an aluminum hull? possibly some type of sand mixture inside for non skid?

i looked at this guys work but he charges 600+ dollars per job

http://www.camodesigns.com/home.htm

speckdaddy
02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
we do this alot where i work bruce.. any type of paint especially the rustoleum products.i know that aluminum doesnt rust, but its a great paint for metals.also, just add sum mason sand...not regular play sand in ya paint to ya own likings .the more sand, the more grip. we use this on nonskid surfaces and it works great... enjoy

specktator
02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
what's the best/easiest type of marine paint/camo jobs on an aluminum hull? possibly some type of sand mixture inside for non skid?

i looked at this guys work but he charges 600+ dollars per job

http://www.camodesigns.com/home.htm

Camo designs painted my mini truck. Did a great job! Think the guys name is Ricky Torres. He does guns and everything. Thinking about letting him do my rifle and scope and everything.

Raymond
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Go get you some wing walk at the place on Moss St that sells to the airplane repair guys. It already has the grit in it and on pint will do most 16 ft boats. I have always sprayed my colors into it prior to drying and they would stay imbedded. Would suggest having two on the job to make it go faster.

BayBolt23
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
It looks like he does damn good work Angler. $600 seems alittle steep. Paint has to be able to take a beating especially in a hunting boat.

supercajun
02-03-2010, 10:18 PM
walmart sells a roll on bed liner. they sell it in gallon cans and its cheap. it sticks on almost anything, even wood. to make it non skid the right mixture is one pound of sand to one gallon of paint. when painting a aluminum boat make sure you get all dirt/oil off first. a low mixture of alumni brite works good. then apply a zinc primer then your base color. if you want to do it camo start off with a light color then go with dark stencils,back to lighter colors in the end. comes out the best in my opinion.

Shawn Braquet
02-03-2010, 10:33 PM
walmart sells a roll on bed liner. they sell it in gallon cans and its cheap. it sticks on almost anything, even wood. to make it non skid the right mixture is one pound of sand to one gallon of paint. when painting a aluminum boat make sure you get all dirt/oil off first. a low mixture of alumni brite works good. then apply a zinc primer then your base color. if you want to do it camo start off with a light color then go with dark stencils,back to lighter colors in the end. comes out the best in my opinion.
are you talking about herculiner? buddy used that in the bed of his truck and didnt seem to take a beating to well? He may have prepped it wrong though.

huntin fool
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
are you talking about herculiner? buddy used that in the bed of his truck and didnt seem to take a beating to well? He may have prepped it wrong though.

x2 friend of my dad used it in his truck and it's chipping everywhere..

SULPHITE
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
read that prep is the key to that stuff...thats why you pay someone for the bed liner job...

LaAngler
02-03-2010, 10:41 PM
the main problem with something like Line-X in a boat is the added weight. I think a good marine paint/primed right may work. problem is that i dont have a spray gun.

i called ricky he wouldn't tell me what brand paint he uses.

wouldn't be hard to cut out some stencils...

specktator
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeh I have used that bedliner stuff in aluminum boat before. Didn't work for me. But like u said I didn't prep it right I guess.

huntin fool
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
the main problem with something like Line-X in a boat is the added weight. I think a good marine paint/primed right may work. problem is that i dont have a spray gun.

pfft rattle cans work fine bruce! Its a huntin boat, not a hog finding machine

specktator
02-03-2010, 10:43 PM

i called ricky he wouldn't tell me what brand paint he uses.

Got compressor and I think a gun too. Let me
check maybe we can try it out. I would like to
rip carpet out my bronco and spray it.

LaAngler
02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
pfft rattle cans work fine bruce! Its a huntin boat, not a hog finding machine

yeah but there is a difference between kryloning squigly brown lines on the side and using a good 2 or 3 coat process.

i send out skids/equipment for industrial coatings on stuff to be sent offshore. it's expensive.

B-Stealth
02-03-2010, 10:45 PM

I have tried good marine paint from West Marine mixed with sand and it didnt hold up well.

The roll on liners dont add much weight at all.

2 Gallons will prob cover your boat almost 1/8 thick. Thats only 60 pounds at most.

I have lined 3 of my boats, and I was happy with them all.

Shawn Braquet
02-03-2010, 10:46 PM
just send your boat with some equipment and bill it to the offshore company

B-Stealth
02-03-2010, 10:47 PM
just send your boat with some equipment and bill it to the offshore company

Ohh yea Powdercoat that mofo.

Shawn Braquet
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I have tried good marine paint from West Marine mixed with sand and it didnt hold up well.

The roll on liners dont add much weight at all.

2 Gallons will prob cover your boat almost 1/8 thick. Thats only 60 pounds at most.

I have lined 3 of my boats, and I was happy with them all.
with what brand...at one time i bought a spray in kit from oreillys and it came with a sprayer, used it in my jeep and it worked very well but i spent a lot of time preping it and it was only 100 bucks

LaAngler
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Ohh yea Powdercoat that mofo.

:D hey i could say it's a mandatory tool for inshore site visits.....

not....

bstealth what liners do you use? did you try paint on the outside of the hull? how did it hold up?

this stuff looks good but pricey

http://www.supermarinepaint.com/camo-527.asp

Shawn Braquet
02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
:D hey i could say it's a mandatory tool for inshore site visits.....

not....

bstealth what liners do you use? did you try paint on the outside of the hull? how did it hold up?
i painted my alluminum hull with the flat camo paints you buy at advance autoparts and it held up well the first year but i can say that I could have prepped it a lot better, i used bamboo branches as a stencil

B-Stealth
02-03-2010, 11:00 PM
1st Alum boat was professionally sprayed with olive drag green rhino 8 years ago for $400 bucks and it still looks like new.

2nd. A company called Deck Liner thats no longer in business I made roll on liners specifically made for boats. It has a softer surface than the rhino liner. I rolled the inside of my 22 ft bay boat with 2 gallons, and really liked it. 2+ years and holding up great.

3rd Deck Liner again on my Sea-Ark; I used 1 gallon.The coating isnt as thick as the 1st boat but I only spent 100 bucks doing it. 1 1/2 year and doing good.

I would try to find a roll on paint specifically made for boats, because it will be softer.

Preperation for Alum Boat.
Pressure wash very well.
Scrub with paint thinner.
Prime, I used a spray can primer.
And apply 2-3 coats of liner.

Very important to lightly coat on 1st coat with liner, it helps it stick much better.

Good Luck.

SULPHITE
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
did you try paint on the outside of the hull?

B stealth lined the inside of his hulls only

supercajun
02-03-2010, 11:26 PM

no its not hurculiner its another brand, cant think of the name. the trick is put your first coat on let dry, put second coat on and let dry to a tacky finish then take your brush dip in the liner then sling it on making lumps on the second coat. adds a lil texture to it. with any painting, prep is always more important than the actual painting. like anything there is a right way and wrong way to do it. usually the right way takes a little longer but in the end its worth it. plus if you do it halfass the first time it wont last long anyway and youll have to do it again. and once you paint a boat you dont want to do another one.

fishinpox
02-04-2010, 12:03 AM
i have put sand in sealer when doin stained cement sidewalk at resturants where they need traction , it works ok but the sand is heavy and wants to settle to the bottom of the paint so you need to make sure you are always mixing it. paint stores also sell a product that is a powder that floats in the paint instead of sinking it is made for the non-skid application i would go with this product instead of sand next time i have to do this

speck-chaser
02-04-2010, 12:07 AM
shark grit

southern151
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Check on having the hull soda blasted. That's where they use baking soda instead of sand. The surface has to be VERY clean. You also need to use a self etching or epoxy primer on aluminum. It is vital for adhesion and duration of your topcoat.

BTW, $600 is dang cheap! If you take the time to do it right yourself, you will understand this completely!

I tell ya what, I don't know that I could do it for that price but, send me the dimensions on your boat and I'll see what I can come up with. I'd like to try one out! There's a lot that goes into making these finishes last.

LaAngler
02-04-2010, 11:48 AM
yeah 600 is sounding cheaper and cheaper! lol

especially when i see 35 dollar a quart paint!

i really dont need this done until next fall (ok really never, lol)

but this looks cool

Montauk17
02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I have seen Ricky at camo designs work, I think its worth the money for a good paint job.

supercajun
02-04-2010, 05:50 PM
yeah 600 is sounding cheaper and cheaper! lol

especially when i see 35 dollar a quart paint!

i really dont need this done until next fall (ok really never, lol)

but this looks cool

looking cool and being effective are two different things. cool looking paint jobs like that look good close up but back up 50 yards and all you see is a brown boat. a more broken up pattern with bigger paint schemes might not look like a factory job or as neat but work better.

LaAngler
02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
i drew up this grass stencil, dunno looks okay i guess

SULPHITE
02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
looks darn good to me! Nice work.

LaAngler
02-09-2010, 01:18 PM
maybe i can add a few "punisher" or nazi zombie skulls in it also

SULPHITE
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
start your camo line...call it "agressive camo"!

LaAngler
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
PATENT pending this is "Mischevious Marshland"

OD green base coat, black skulls, and desert tan marsh grass

adamsfence
02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
you gonna make some stencils?

SULPHITE
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Please paint your boat with this...

meaux fishing
02-09-2010, 04:28 PM

that would be amazing.... Best paint job ever

B-Stealth
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Wow, that would have required some adderal for sure. Looks Good.

Salty
02-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Bruce, get to work.

Gerald
02-10-2010, 02:44 AM
looking cool and being effective are two different things. cool looking paint jobs like that look good close up but back up 50 yards and all you see is a brown boat. a more broken up pattern with bigger paint schemes might not look like a factory job or as neat but work better.

Supercajun......said exactly what I was thinking. IMO, your "grass" pattern has too much detail. Leave out about half of the "grass" and make the remaining grass bigger.

Every time I walk passed the "Camo" hunting cloths at Acadamy, I shake my head. All I see are "Brown" or "Dark" color cloths......no pattern to them.

Gerald
02-10-2010, 02:55 AM
A few years back, I saw an article and pictures where a guy did some "field" testing to show what different "camo" looked like when out in the field.

Most of "camo" hunting patterns did not blend well with any of the backgrounds. The camo was really bad when pictures were taken of a hunter up in a tree stand. In a tree stand......the best "camo" to hide the hunter was when he was wearing a old Blue and white coat. Even a red and light color jacket looked better than "camo" patterns.

Some of the hunting clothing is now made with lighter & darker colors....and bigger patterns.....which IMO, are much better.

B-Stealth
02-10-2010, 03:50 AM
La, check this out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0008016014062a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_bc&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=paint&Nr=IS_BARGAIN_CAVE%3Atrue&sort=bc&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1