PDA

View Full Version : Wife Wants A Handgun, Neep Help

B-Stealth
02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
So after reading Shawns post about his intruder; I became more motivated to find a good handgun for the ol-lady in the house.

I think a Judge would be a great gun, point, shoot, and hit.

But,,,, what about the other stray bbs flying through the house.

I have lots guns, but not a hand cannon; need a little advice.

Thanks

Reel Bender
02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Never shot one, but would'nt it kick like a mule?

adamsfence
02-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I messed up and bought a 40 my wife is scared to death of it......but on the other side it should scare the hell out of the intruder

bay_slayer
02-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I bought my wife a 9mm Glock model 19 and she likes it. It fits good in here hands and easy to use and reliable

adamsfence
02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I would Probly get her a 9 or something she is comfortable shooting

"H"
02-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a Judge, with 410 buck shot I find it kicks about like my 45ACP.
The Judge is a great home defense weapon, but not for the wife.

I looked at the Walther PK380 at the Gonzales Gun Show, sweet hand gun and reasonably priced.

my 2 cents

eman
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I bought a wheel gun for my wife. S&W DA 357 , No worries about clips chambers or safties. 6 shots of bad to the bone HPs.
She can paper pop w/ 38 wad cutters and qualify w/ mags .
She can fire 6 speed load and fire 6 more and keep em all in a 3 inch circle .
(That's why i say YES DEAR):eek::eek::eek:

fishinpox
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
my wife has a glock 19 (9mm) that she carries in her car and keps in the nightstand i also bought her a kel tec sub 2000 .40 cal sub-rifle it take a 30 round glock mag. hardly any recoil from both guns. she shoots both guns with confidence . i bought the rifle for when i leave on the weekends to fish this gun is very intimidating and can back it up with 30 rounds!!! the key id to teach your wife to shoot and to help her learn how her gun works ( taking it apart, removing jammed bullets safely, ect...) lemme know if your wife wants to test fire any of these guns and ya ll can meet us at the range to see if she like the feel

fishinpox
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I messed up and bought a 40 my wife is scared to death of it......but on the other side it should scare the hell out of the intruder

what kind of 40?? glock?? if so and you wanna sell holler at me

huntin fool
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
my wife has a glock 19 (9mm) that she carries in her car and keps in the nightstand i also bought her a kel tec sub 2000 .40 cal sub-rifle it take a 30 round glock mag. hardly any recoil from both guns. she shoots both guns with confidence . i bought the rifle for when i leave on the weekends to fish this gun is very intimidating and can back it up with 30 rounds!!! the key id to teach your wife to shoot and to help her learn how her gun works ( taking it apart, removing jammed bullets safely, ect...) lemme know if your wife wants to test fire any of these guns and ya ll can meet us at the range to see if she like the feel

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yall better not ever make yall's wife's mad

fishinpox
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yall better not ever make yall's wife's mad

dood you dont even know :smokin:

Dink
02-04-2010, 09:48 PM
S & W makes a hammerless 38/357 that's real nice. Small so a lady's hands fit well, you can even get it w/ pink grips!

shellman
02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Beretta 32 tomcat w/crimson trace laser sights shooting home defense rounds , very com pact and easy consealment....

LaAngler
02-05-2010, 12:32 AM
kahr PM9 or Glock 26

maybe a J frame smith, i wouldn't go with less than a 9mm

TTF FISHING
02-05-2010, 12:43 AM
www.keltecpistols.com (http://www.keltecpistols.com)

Kel-Tec 380 ACP is what my wife carries. Great little handgun.

LaAngler
02-05-2010, 01:21 AM
http://www.the-m-factor.com/

wtretrievers
02-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I would much fix stray bb hole in the wall than someone get my wife or kids. The Judge in my opinion would be the best for close range. Especially for someone that hasn't handled a gun much. You don't where a single bullet may go when panic sets in. The Judge w/ a load of #4's or larger will knock a SOB to the ground quick! Just point & pull. The 410 buckshot has only 5 00's & are stacked end to end when the leave the barrel they scatter bad! Could possibly miss at 30'. I shot buckshot & #4's, my choice is the #4's. May not kill a intruder but I'll promise you he won't want any more!

adamsfence
02-05-2010, 09:08 AM
what kind of 40?? glock?? if so and you wanna sell holler at me

O no thats my baby its going in my truck just as soon as i get her a 9......I try not to sell any of my guns. I figure they paid for and the more i got the better i'll be;)

cmdrost
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Stealthy-

its like anything else. What ever she is comfortable with holding. I have the pocket pistol Ruger LCP .380, it fits my wife well but has a good bit of recoil for such a small gun. She probably likes the .38 revolver the best. Thats most accurate and most sold gun for women. My mom is scary accurate with hers!! Now my sister on the other hand loves shooting my Glock .40!

Come by the house one day, I'll let you take a few of em if you want and take her to Shooting Range on Kirkman and try em out.

Other things to think of are safeties on the gun, ease of use, & good spot for easy access but away from the little kiddies. The old 20 gauge pump makes a great home defense gun too.

LaAngler
02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
the judge is pretty much worthless IMHO, a gimmick

I would NOt trust my life to .410 and .380

Shawn Braquet
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
after my experience I cannot stress enough about her being comfortable and confident with the gun. My wife knows how to use my guns, but after I saw her reaction the other night I don't think that she would have ever thought to grab the gun then in her state probably would forget how to operate. Needless to say we are going to do some handgun 101 all over again here soon and I think now she will take me serious instead of saying just load it so I can shoot the box.

SULPHITE
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
First time I took my wife to Barney's in Laf. Rented her a .380 berreta. She shot better than me.:redface:

The gun really fit her hands well and obviously she felt comfortable shooting it.

I have a sig 40 and a walther p22 ready for action...thinking on this I need to famaliarize her again with each gun.

BayouFX4
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
My mom picked up a Walther PPK .380, and she loves it. Sadly I think she has shot her ppk more than I've shot my XD lol.

speck-chaser
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
my wife shoots the 380 sig. I recommend a double action if your shooting an auto. You dont have to worry about chambering a round before you shoot. YOu can safely leave a round in the chamber and then de-**** it . From there you just pick up the gun and squeeze the trigger. I also use some buffalo bore ammo, its some hot loads which pretty much bring the ftlbs. up into 9mm specks. You just have to make sure your wife is comfortable with the gun and is fairly accurate with it. If she is scared of it, she wont want to fool with it.

fishinpox
02-05-2010, 02:45 PM
after my experience I cannot stress enough about her being comfortable and confident with the gun. My wife knows how to use my guns, but after I saw her reaction the other night I don't think that she would have ever thought to grab the gun then in her state probably would forget how to operate. Needless to say we are going to do some handgun 101 all over again here soon and I think now she will take me serious instead of saying just load it so I can shoot the box.

look into a hand gun saftey/ training course for your wife sometimes its easier for them to listen to someone than their husband when it comes to stuff like this . there are no ifs ands or buts about hand gun saftey it is cut and dry teaching/explaining this in certian ways may come off bossy or controling to a female but they need to understand guns KILL people so having someone other than yourself explain this might make it a little easier

2ndamendment
02-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Smith and Wesson .38 spl + P airweight. This is a very good gun for women. This gun is hammerless. Basic operation for when the adrenalin is high. Type of ammo is key. Use some type of personal defense rounds for ammo.
This gun is probably the most popular with women and self defense.

jchief
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I would much fix stray bb hole in the wall than someone get my wife or kids. The Judge in my opinion would be the best for close range. Especially for someone that hasn't handled a gun much. You don't where a single bullet may go when panic sets in. The Judge w/ a load of #4's or larger will knock a SOB to the ground quick! Just point & pull. The 410 buckshot has only 5 00's & are stacked end to end when the leave the barrel they scatter bad! Could possibly miss at 30'. I shot buckshot & #4's, my choice is the #4's. May not kill a intruder but I'll promise you he won't want any more!

Tend to agree. If they don't shoot often and become comfortable with thier weapon, this one is just an aim in the area with buckshot at 20'

Ray
02-05-2010, 07:55 PM
The Judge does not kick that hard. My wife shot mine several times. It has
a comfortable grip and is heavy enough to not kick hard.
She cannot hit a bull in the azz with a bass fiddle, except with The Judge.
She wants something she can point in the general direction and HIT.
I also have a Leinad Model DD and it kicks like a donkey on steroids.

LaAngler
02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
.410 penetration in gel is piss poor, especially in a short barrel

Ray
02-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Walk into someone's room at night and then tell me it don't hurt...
Have you shot one yet?

LaAngler
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
a bb gun will hurt, if a 200 pound man with a full adrenaline rush is charging me, i'd want a proven man stopper, that's all i'm saying

lots of people are killed with their own weapons, leo included

for the weight, price, and size of the judge, there are better SD options.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/09/pearl_river_woman_shoots_husba.html

The gun, a model known as "The Judge, " (http://www.taurususa.com/whats-new.cfm) was loaded with bird shot, and Davis took aim at her husband and emptied all five of the weapon's chambers as he fled through the yard, Bonnett said. He was hit in the upper and lower back by two blasts before escaping, Bonnett said.
After retreating to safety, the husband realized he didn't have a cell phone on him, so he called into his workplace using a two-way radio and told co-workers that his wife was trying to kill him, Bonnett said. The co-workers relayed the message to the Sheriff's Office.

Basically a .410 slug's terminal ballistics can be compared to a .380 auto

Shawn Braquet
02-08-2010, 01:45 PM
look into a hand gun saftey/ training course for your wife sometimes its easier for them to listen to someone than their husband when it comes to stuff like this . there are no ifs ands or buts about hand gun saftey it is cut and dry teaching/explaining this in certian ways may come off bossy or controling to a female but they need to understand guns KILL people so having someone other than yourself explain this might make it a little easier
good point I'll have to run this by her...does the conceal class teach that? if so we'll both go, I would like to get my conceal to carry permit

Ray
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
The point is, he left the house.
If my wife is awaken at night, when I am not home, scared, she has 5 shots if he comes in her room. If she shoots a bullet, she can't hit crap. I'd rather her kill or hurt someone than for them to hurt or kill her.
She can hit with the judge, but she cannot hit with a bullet.
It also shoots a .45 long colt or .410 slug. But if I load it with those, she will be wasting them into the walls.
I am just using common sense. I have seen her shoot.
I might load 3 each #6's and 2 each slugs behind them. I just want her to hit someone who comes in our house. I don't care for buckshot in a .410 cause it only has 3 bb's.
We have a burgler alarm system and also locally activated motion detectors in the garage and at each door. She will know right away before anyone can enter our house.
The motion detectors costs about $30 each at Harbor Freight. Easy to mount, battery power. Sets off a local alarm inside the house when anyone passes it.
With the alarm system and motion detectors, she feels she can call 911 and use the gun only if the police don't get there in time.

LaAngler
02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
is she comfortable shooting a 12 gauge shotgun?

maybe a short barreled auto with 2 3/4 0 buck?

Ray
02-08-2010, 03:24 PM
No. I also have a 410 snake charmer. She is scared of that thing also. It would be easier to hit with than the pistol, in my opinion.
It is a sawed off looking crack barrel shot gun you can hold like a pistol or a shot gun.
I'd rather her shoot an intruder with a 12 gauge.
She is also scared of the pistols, but she will shoot them if she has to.
I have several pistols, she can shoot them, but cannot hit crap with them. She closes her eyes right before she pulls the trigger.
It is hard to teach her much of anything. She is pretty ditzy.

My mom shot skeet competitively and hunted ducks.
One of my sisters shot skeet competitively and hunts doves and deer.
The other sister just shoots anything that moves with any gun she can get her hands on.
My aunt hunted ducks.
I just find it funny that a girl is scared of a gun. I didn't grow up like that.

LaAngler
02-08-2010, 03:28 PM
i am wanting something like this for things that go bump in the nite

it's hard to clear a room with a 28" barrel

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical-a-tacs-camo.aspx

or if you really got the coin

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

SULPHITE
02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
i would love...love...the m4!!

Big Lake Blondie
02-08-2010, 11:58 PM
http://www.vincelewis.net/womansgun.html (http://www.vincelewis.net/womansgun.html) Might look here and see if this helps any...I want something that's gonna leave a big hole myself:D

Firesafety3
02-28-2010, 10:09 AM
If this is strictly a house gun for the wife (or older kids), I would stay with the unplugged shotgun, preferably a semi-auto 20 guage.

The length of a shotgun will keep the intruder at bay and comes to a natural point, either from the shoulder or the hip, if a face-to-face encounter is actually made.

If you think about the scenarios where they may have to grab the gun and put it in action, there are a couple of other things you could do to address the situation.

Put a steel door on the closet in the master bedroom with a solid deadbolt and hinges on it (don't go cheap here, door to open outward). Drop a phone line in there and put a couple of tap lights or flashlights.

Have a meeting with the family and go over the "plan" if there is a bump in the night. Most important thing to remember: Life over property. You do not need to go looking for him (them). Have your wife and family secure themselves, make the call to law enforcement, and keep the shotgun on the door until 911 assures you that you house is cleared and the police are approaching your closet door.

I'm out of town bit and a firm, communicated plan helps you rest easier if you know your family is prepared.

gobblercrazy
02-28-2010, 10:12 AM
best definsive gun for a lady or anyone for that matter who is not accustomed to handleing a hand gun is a revolver......

hook m up
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
got my wife a 9mm hi-point. very inexpensive, excellet warrenty. and a trouble free gun. shot about 150 rounds so far with NO problems. would not hesitate to buy another

FF_T_Warren
02-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I would get no less than a 9 but 40 if she can handle it. maybe find somewhere that u can try em out. if she feels comfortable with the 40 then get it. since she wants one then she will probably handle the 40 better than if you tried to get her to shoot it and she didnt want to. once you find out what she can handle, take her and let her feel a few and pick out her own gun, after all she's the one shooting it. but also you make sure she gets a good quality one. try to steer her toward glocks. easy to use and not a bunch of moving parts, just rack it back and let er fly. also very reliable, if its to protect her life you certainly dont want a cheap gun thats gonna jam after one shot.

FF_T_Warren
02-28-2010, 08:50 PM
i would love...love...the m4!!

you said it right there, I got one loaded up under the bed with a surefire foreend molded light on it. anyone breaks in, lord help em is all I can say. I also got a glock23 in the drawer beside me.

the m4 would be a great home defense gun for a conscious and safe firearms user, however you dont really want a scared wife with limited gun experience spraying high velocity rounds through your house cuz that can go through several walls including exterior which can be very dangerous especially with children around.