PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

evis102
02-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I tried to check the air pressure in my trailer tires today only to have the whole valve come out in my hand. This happened with 3 out of 4 tires on my trailer. I changed them out with metal stems from auto zone. The tires were less than 3 years old, I'm not really sure what would cause this but it sure ruin a fishing trip.

Montauk17
02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
If i were you I would bring them to a tire shop and get the whole valve stems changed out to prevent future problems.

Gerald
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I tried to check the air pressure in my trailer tires today only to have the whole valve come out in my hand. This happened with 3 out of 4 tires on my trailer. I changed them out with metal stems from auto zone. The tires were less than 3 years old, I'm not really sure what would cause this but it sure ruin a fishing trip.

A common missconception about tires is that when you buy a tire you are getting a "New" tire. That tire could have been in a warehouse for years before you bought it. There is a number on all tires that tell you when the trire was made. Same could be said for the valve stem.....they could be very old. I have always wondered why when you buy a new tire....they alway sell you a new valve stem. Is that because the old valve stem "Needs" to be changed or are they just trying to make a little more money?

whole valve come out in my hand

I don't have clear picture of what you mean. Did you take the old valve stem off the tire rim and then put a new stem through the rim? If not.....I think you need to do this.