PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion

swole_la34
02-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Don't really do alot of fishing but get more and more into it every year..Whats the best rod and reel to buy for the right price??

simplepeddler
02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
oh Lordy..................here we go. LOL

my vote is for the Battle ship Calcutta on an All Star rod.
But many will disagree with me, ...............like any minute now

huntin fool
02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Don't really do alot of fishing but get more and more into it every year..Whats the best rod and reel to buy for the right price??

I like My shimano citica (100 ish?)/st.croix Mojo bass 7ft medium rod-90.

OR Academy sells Americain Rod smiths, and Castaways that sell for around $60 a rod. Pair that up with a citica, and you good to go!

If you want to spend more $$$ on the reel, Curado would be your next best i'm sure.

Dink
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Spinning or baitcast? Budget?

CatDaddy
02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Its whats comfortable for you man... Fish with what feel sright in your hands.... Leave your wife at home, and spend about 4 hours in an academy, Bass Pro, or Cabelas just playing with rods.... (Spend alot of time with the Falcon Low Rider XG).. when you get a rod that feels good in ya hand, kind of like a Falcon Lowrider XG 7' Medium Heavy would feel.... and get a Shimano 200-E7 from "W".. Then you will have you a really good setup.... I promise

Salty
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Its whats comfortable for you man... Fish with what feel sright in your hands.... Leave your wife at home, and spend about 4 hours in an academy, Bass Pro, or Cabelas just playing with rods.... (Spend alot of time with the Falcon Low Rider XG).. when you get a rod that feels good in ya hand, kind of like a Falcon Lowrider XG 7' Medium Heavy would feel.... and get a Shimano 200-E7 from "W".. Then you will have you a really good setup.... I promise

W doesn't do Curados, anymore...........he's hung on Cores now.

LaAngler
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
buy whatever you like just make sure you get a shimano reel citica or better

PUREBAY2200
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Spinning or baitcast? Budget?

Yea I agree.
Kinda like askin what kinda car to get or how big of a house.

1. Budget
2. What kinda fish
3. Style ( baitcast or spinning)
4. How often will u go

answer these then u can go pick out Ur set up:)

adamsfence
02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
i always get the combos from academy for less than a 100. you can pick up some decent ones for 50-70 bucks. I don't get to fish as much as most of these guys so i can't justify the higher end ones. I bought one last year with a all star rod i love that rod. it has an h20 reel on it. so far so good

CatDaddy
02-18-2010, 03:34 AM
i always get the combos from academy for less than a 100. you can pick up some decent ones for 50-70 bucks. I don't get to fish as much as most of these guys so i can't justify the higher end ones. I bought one last year with a all star rod i love that rod. it has an h20 reel on it. so far so good

H2O reels are badazz

shellman
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Once you decide you like fishing check out "Billystix Custom Rods"...

Feesherman
02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
H2O reels are badazz

Yeah I got one for my girlfriend as a birfday present. It lasted about 2 trips fore it fell apart. Took it back and got her a Citica.

LPfishnTIM
03-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I like falcon low rider, med action fast for spinner bait, med heavy fast for worming, as far a reels I like the revo sx, but the citica is a great reel too I've bought too many reels under $100 and have returned all of em except the ambassador c3 and c4 which aren't a great reels but they last a life time

CatDaddy
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah I got one for my girlfriend as a birfday present. It lasted about 2 trips fore it fell apart. Took it back and got her a Citica.

Damn.... I got 2 and love them.... Did you have the Mettle?

Gerald
03-08-2010, 12:26 AM

For someone that only fishes a few times a year, there are lots of "cheap" rods that will last you many fishing trips. I have one "cheap" rod that just felt as good in my hand as the $ 80 rods so I bought it for $ 20. I have been using that rod for saltwater fishing for 5+ years and it is still in good shape.

If you fish saltwater, most of low end reels [under $ 50] probably will not hold up for more than a year....maybe longer if you take good care of it.

Academy has been sell h2s equipment for a couple of years now. The h2s Mettle reel has impressed some [very smooth and cast well] that have bought it.....[I don't have this reel]. The reviews are good for freshwater....but not much talk as to how they hold up in saltwarer use. This reel sells for ~ $ 69 but does go on sale for much lower. I think I saw it for $ 40 a few weeks ago.

SULPHITE
03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
h2s

Hydrogen Sulfide??? LOL!! H2O...Academy selling area monitors now?

Heard good and bad about the H2O, but if you don't fish much it would be worth it.